PDA

View Full Version : XT D'Addario Mandolin Strings?

Chuck Leyda
Sep-03-2019, 10:29am
https://s.yimg.com/aah/juststrings/d-addario-xt-mandolin-phosphor-bronze-011-040-xtm1140-4.gif

First time I've heard of these. Any opinions?

Drew Egerton
Sep-03-2019, 11:35am
saw them mentioned at Strings and Beyond but I stuck with my typical order instead. Sounds intriguing.

Doug Brock
Sep-03-2019, 2:10pm
I saw them today on Just Strings and was curious about them. I tried to order a set but had an error that the set was "unorderable"?

Chris Gray
Sep-03-2019, 2:58pm
I ordered some on eBay. Just checked and they should be delivered today. I'll give an update after stringing them up!

musicology
Sep-04-2019, 2:35pm
I ordered some on eBay. Just checked and they should be delivered today. I'll give an update after stringing them up!

Are they loop ends?

Kevin K
Sep-11-2019, 7:09am
Are they loop ends?

Yes

Skip Kelley
Sep-11-2019, 8:22am
I’ve had that X series on my guitar for a year. I’m impressed by the strings. They still sound good. I’m going to get them for my mandolins. NFI.

Kevin K
Sep-11-2019, 8:43am
I’ve had that X series on my guitar for a year. I’m impressed by the strings. They still sound good. I’m going to get them for my mandolins. NFI.

I too did the beta testing for the X series for guitar and was impressed with them. Curious of the mandolin set and how they will do.

V70416
Sep-11-2019, 1:37pm
If they stay in tune 131% better than other strings like the ads say,and last 4 times longer,I'm in for a trial set or two.

They had me at 131%. But it's really hard not to want to try out a new mando string from Daddario.

They mention that all the strings in the set have extended lifespan treatment.

The XTs will have to be all that before I switch over from their Monels.

PS Just ordered one set of mediums and one of custom mediums from Elderly. Not many in stock. Probably be a while before I am able to try them out. The monels last me a long time.

V70416
Sep-15-2019, 12:38pm
Ok,I'm putting a set on today. The XTM11540. I think these are the custom mediums.

11.5 and the 16 will be a little heavier than the EJM74 monel sets I've been playing for about a year.

Also got a XTM1140,mediums, to try.

V70416
Sep-15-2019, 7:25pm
These are nice strings. Feel like uncoated. I'm sure they will last a good while and sound fine if ypu like phosphor bronze.

The XTs won't be on my mando very long.

Can't wait to get the Monels back on.

Kevin K
Sep-16-2019, 7:29am
These are nice strings. Feel like uncoated. I'm sure they will last a good while and sound fine if ypu like phosphor bronze.

The XTs won't be on my mando very long.

Can't wait to get the Monels back on.

Why do you not like them? Too warm?

mcgroup53
Sep-16-2019, 8:33am
There's a review of these strings in the new Acoustic Guitar. They liked them a lot.

V70416
Sep-16-2019, 10:07am
Why do you not like them? Too warm?

There is nothing at all wrong with the XT strings. I just prefer the feel and tone of the Daddario Monel strings.

The monels have a more fundamental tone,the XTs being a bit more metallic or stringy sounding
on my mando,a 1993 Gibson Monroe,Carlson-signed. So,a more Flatiron-sounding "Gibson".

Also,there is something about the monels that just feel better to both left and right hand. They seem to have a
more immediate response that involves the body of the instrument more than PB strings.

Not all monel strings are the same. I do not prefer the Martin monel mando strings compared to the Daddarios,
which I found(Martins) lacking in volume and oomph.

I am not slamming the XTs. I'm sure they will be hugely popular for those who play PB strings. If there is a coating on them
it is undetectable to me.

CBFrench
Sep-16-2019, 10:56am
I just picked up my set of the XTM 11540 from the PO. I just put a set of Mangan's on so don't want to change now but I'm sure I'll like them alot, I'm sure

V70416
Sep-16-2019, 12:21pm
My first impressions were just that. Didn't really give them time to strech out.

The more I play them the more I like them.

Kevin K
Sep-17-2019, 6:54am
My first impressions were just that. Didn't really give them time to strech out.

The more I play them the more I like them.

I would have to agree with you, initially I just wasn't sure but after some hours of playing and couple days of settling in, I like them.

Drew Egerton
Sep-17-2019, 8:43am
I usually have an obnoxious chemical reaction with phosphor bronze strings generating a gross looking green crud from both hands.
I wonder if this coating would help with that or not.

V70416
Sep-17-2019, 11:13am
Drew,I don't know about your particular chemistry,but the XTs are sure differnt from regular PB strings. They seem to
be inert/chemically inactive in my hands.

Cost you about $13 to find out. Or try a set of Monel for a couple bucks less.

I plan to keep the XT set on for a couple months(maybe longer) to see how they do in the long run.
$13 per set is high but not so bad if they last a good while.

About the only strings I have not tried are Magnan(sp). Am unabashedly pro-Daddario.

Drew Egerton
Sep-17-2019, 1:26pm
Drew,I don't know about your particular chemistry,but the XTs are sure differnt from regular PB strings. They seem to
be inert/chemically inactive in my hands.

Cost you about $13 to find out. Or try a set of Monel for a couple bucks less.

I plan to keep the XT set on for a couple months(maybe longer) to see how they do in the long run.
$13 per set is high but not so bad if they last a good while.

About the only strings I have not tried are Magnan(sp). Am unabashedly pro-Daddario.

I have played several sets of the Monels and i like them a lot. Unlike you, I haven't totally decided whether I like them better than the Martin monels or not yet. Maybe, but the Martins are half the price too. I bought another set of Martins just recently to try to make a final determination there. I am typically very pro D'addario in most cases.

I also like the Nickel Bronze and both those and monels don't seem to give me the same green crud reaction as PB 74s.
I recently tried a set of Mangans and I felt they were as good as 74s, but definitely had the same issues with crudding them up and killing them in a short time.

Jon Hall
Sep-17-2019, 1:40pm
I've used Monels on all of my mando's and guitars for years but I tried a set XT on my Kentucky KM956 a year ago and I'm on my third set on the same mandolin
I still use Monel (Mangan & Martin) on my Weber Absaroka and my A2. I like the sound of the XTs and they last much longer, for me, than the Monel.

John Bertotti
Sep-17-2019, 3:55pm
Monels? I have never tried them how do they compare to TI?

Chuck Leyda
Sep-18-2019, 2:56pm
How do the XTs differ from the EJ and EXP series given that all three are phosphor bronze. They seem like a straight upgrade or is there some reason to still go with the EJs?

Jon Hall
Sep-18-2019, 10:23pm
D'addario says it is a different steel core. Regular pb strings have always been difficult for me to fine tune after a couple of weeks. I play these XTs for 3 - 4 months before they get cranky about tuning.

Kevin K
Sep-19-2019, 10:19am
[QUOTE=.....I play these XTs for 3 - 4 months before they get cranky about tuning.[/QUOTE]

The XT's just came out unless you got a prototype set.

V70416
Sep-19-2019, 11:46am
Monels? I have never tried them how do they compare to TI?

Monel is a nickel-copper alloy. Resistant to caustic stuff,salts.

I have played monel mandolin sets from Daddario and Martin(made in Mexico and cost less). I like the Martins ok(on snakehead),but prefer the
sound of the Daddarios on my F style. Maybe less overtones with the monel. Kind of older-timey vintage,possibly Gibsonish tone. Some have stated that monels strings don't have the same volume as PB.

The Thomastik strings are flatwound,so whole nother batch of taters. They are so nice to the left hand witn sqeaky-free sliding. I think
they are great on old oval hole Gibsons. Noticeable decrease in volume imho. I used to think"they're dead when they go on and dead when you take them off." Cost even more than XTs. Sort of mando-specific strings if not stylistic. At my age one set would last me a lifetime.

I'm learning Old Ebeneezer Scrooge from Tabledit at half speed(thank you,Mike Stangeland,wherever you are.) The new XTs are strong. They do tune up nicely.

Jon Hall
Sep-19-2019, 9:51pm
I apologize. I was mistaken about the specific D'addario strings I've been using. The set that I'm satisfied with is not the XT but the EXP74. Sorry about my confusion. The EXP74 have been the both the best phosphor bronze and coated mandolin strings I've ever used.

Phil Goodson
Sep-22-2019, 7:50am
I put on a new set of the XT D'Addario strings (11-40) yesterday and went out to a jam last night to try them out.

Less than five minutes of the new-string jangly metallic sound that I hate. So the strings seem to settle in very fast.
The tone is brighter than the Monels that I've been using lately, as expected. Not quite so bright as J74s to my ear, but not far off.
The feel of the strings to the fingertips is good. None of that "sqeaky-clean" sticky feel that I notice with EXPs (and don't like).

First Impression: Sound good; feel good; brighter than monel; feel like non-coated.
Only time will tell how long the good qualities will last before needing a string change.:)

Kevin K
Oct-22-2019, 7:13am
Anyone else tried the new XT and can report back?

I've had about three sets on the mandolin now and initially, very good tone and volume but they do seem to die to quickly as volume just goes away and tone gets too muddy. A little disappointed. Maybe it's me and what I put them thru but was expecting more.

Mandolin Cafe
Oct-22-2019, 7:28am
We mailed 5 packages to winning entries yesterday, USPS Priority, so could arrive Wednesday, Thursday at latest. Believe 5 winners that are Forum members--I typically check just out of personal interest, so they should be able to report soon.

MandoRock65
Oct-23-2019, 1:20pm
I have tried one set of the XT75 strings. The gauge is the same as my favorite EXP75 : .0115 - .016 - .026 - .041 The feel was a little different almost a flatwound feel compared to the EXP's. The sound was comparable also. They lasted approximately 3 weeks of regular daily playing. Including heavy playing on 3 weekends of gigs. If I can get used to the different feel, I think they will be fine. I did go back to a set of EXP's to make sure it was a fair comparison. I will update as I continue to alternate between the 2!

Kevin K
Oct-23-2019, 2:54pm
I have tried one set of the XT75 strings. The gauge is the same as my favorite EXP75 : .0115 - .016 - .026 - .041 The feel was a little different almost a flatwound feel compared to the EXP's. The sound was comparable also. They lasted approximately 3 weeks of regular daily playing. Including heavy playing on 3 weekends of gigs. If I can get used to the different feel, I think they will be fine. I did go back to a set of EXP's to make sure it was a fair comparison. I will update as I continue to alternate between the 2!

I guess it was roughly about 3 weeks for me too, one set was subject to some very rough humidity outside gigs and were really abused so maybe I shouldn't be so hard on them saying I wanted more.

Janos
Oct-30-2019, 7:50am
Over the last two weeks I have tried the new XT74 strings. I normally use EJ74, EXP74 and Elixir. To me the XT74 strings sound really good when new. I might like them a little better than Elixir strings when new. They have rich overtones and a nice punch. I don't think I could hear a big difference with the EJ74 and EXP74 strings. The unwound strings feel a bit different because of the treatment. I played my mandolin a lot in rehearsals, played three gigs and used it while giving folk music workshops for a week. I didn't have to play very loud, except during the last unamplified gig. I had to make myself heard in a great trio with a loud accordion. During this gig my wounded strings died and got very muddy sounding. The unwound strings were pretty ok still.
So I replaced my strings for a new XT set and went to play a one mic bluegrass gig. All the musicians were digging in and trying to make as much noise as possible. While that's not really my cup of tea I had to try and keep up. After the first set my strings were dead and sounded worse than the ones I took off a day earlier. For the second set I used a different mandolin. With Elixir strings this never happens to me and they last for over a month. I think if I really want to sound of fresh phosphor bronze strings, I might just as well use EJ74's.
I wonder why the XT74's get muddy so much sooner than the Elixirs. Does my body acid and sweat eat through this coating? Is it because it is possible for dirt to get between the windings with the XT's? Does a heavy attack vs a light touch make a difference in the lifespan? I think a read somewhere that Elixir uses strings from the D'Addario factory. If that is true only the coating could make a difference.
So I'd say the XT's are good, probably last a little longer than EJ's, but don't last nearly as long as Elixirs. I would love to have Elixir phosphor bronze strings for mandolin. They problably have a contract with D'Addario and are not allowed to make these.

Kevin K
Oct-30-2019, 9:12am
Over the last two weeks I have tried the new XT74 strings. I normally use EJ74, EXP74 and Elixir. To me the XT74 strings sound really good when new. I might like them a little better than Elixir strings when new. They have rich overtones and a nice punch. I don't think I could hear a big difference with the EJ74 and EXP74 strings. The unwound strings feel a bit different because of the treatment. I played my mandolin a lot in rehearsals, played three gigs and used it while giving folk music workshops for a week. I didn't have to play very loud, except during the last unamplified gig. I had to make myself heard in a great trio with a loud accordion. During this gig my wounded strings died and got very muddy sounding. The unwound strings were pretty ok still.
So I replaced my strings for a new XT set and went to play a one mic bluegrass gig. All the musicians were digging in and trying to make as much noise as possible. While that's not really my cup of tea I had to try and keep up. After the first set my strings were dead and sounded worse than the ones I took off a day earlier. For the second set I used a different mandolin. With Elixir strings this never happens to me and they last for over a month. I think if I really want to sound of fresh phosphor bronze strings, I might just as well use EJ74's.
I wonder why the XT74's get muddy so much sooner than the Elixirs. Does my body acid and sweat eat through this coating? Is it because it is possible for dirt to get between the windings with the XT's? Does a heavy attack vs a light touch make a difference in the lifespan? I think a read somewhere that Elixir uses strings from the D'Addario factory. If that is true only the coating could make a difference.
So I'd say the XT's are good, probably last a little longer than EJ's, but don't last nearly as long as Elixirs. I would love to have Elixir phosphor bronze strings for mandolin. They problably have a contract with D'Addario and are not allowed to make these.

It seems this is common, after some heavy playing, the strings just loose volume and tone and die. I had put another set on and did a couple practice sessions and during the gig, they just seem to quit, volume and tone gone.

I use Elixir Nano's
on guitar but never had liked them on mandolin, tone just wasn't there.

Jim Garber
Oct-30-2019, 4:54pm
I switched over from PB strings on my guitars and mandolins to monel and then to NB's. I may try these new PB's and see if I am missing anything. We shall see.

f5loar
Nov-29-2021, 12:29am
Looks like it's been a few years since anyone commented on the XT strings. Most of the above reviews seem bad. I'm thinking of trying a set. Anyone stayed with them? or were they just another "fad" string that has now died out? Still running $10 to $13 a set.

Jcdraayer
Nov-29-2021, 5:44am
I really like the XT custom mediums personally. Seem to give my F5 the best sound out of the other PBs I’ve tried. I like the feel as well

samlyman
Nov-29-2021, 9:14am
I have been using them for years and will continue to use them because they sound good and last a long time. I have them on my 2005 Collings MT2V and 2013 Kentucky KM-500. They are not sexy, or new or bragworthy but who cares... they were a step-up from Elixir strings which is what I used for about 10 years before switching to these.

Scott Rucker
Nov-29-2021, 1:07pm
I must be blessed because I just don't have trouble with plain PB strings dying early deaths on my mandolins the way I feel like they do on acoustic guitars.

Glassweb
Dec-03-2021, 5:11pm
Looks like it's been a few years since anyone commented on the XT strings. Most of the above reviews seem bad. I'm thinking of trying a set. Anyone stayed with them? or were they just another "fad" string that has now died out? Still running $10 to $13 a set.

Hey Tom... Glassweb here... the XTs suck, but DA's new XS set is fantastic. More expensive, yes, but they sound better, play better, last way longer and if you buy them by the box from Sweetwater they'll give you a "sweet" discount... plus free shipping to boot!