PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland bridge on Eastman 815 mandola?

QuakeCity
Aug-06-2019, 12:41pm
Anyone successfully installed a Cumberland bridge on an Eastman 815 Mandola? It seems a little narrow for the width of the neck.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-06-2019, 1:06pm
Are you talking about using a CA Mandolin bridge or a CA Mandola bridge on your mandola?

How wide is the neck? I'm thinking of changing the bridge on my mandola and I had planned on using the CA Mandola Bridge.

https://cumberlandacoustic.com/product/mandola-bridge/

QuakeCity
Aug-06-2019, 9:36pm
The Eastman Mandola strings are about 2 inches from the outside C to the outside A on the bridge. The Eastman saddle is wider than the Cumberland mandola saddle. If one were to keep the same spacing, the outside C and the outside A would have to be resting on the thick part of the saddle, not the compensated part. If you were to keep the strings on the extreme sides of compensated part of the saddle, they would too far away from the edge of the neck. But I am open to ideas on this. I would love to put a Cumberland on the mandola.

Lord of the Badgers
Aug-09-2019, 1:48am
Having read a thread elsewhere here...
What about the current weber brekke design?
https://webermandolins.com/mandolin-features/bridges

Mr Brekke himself was on that thread if I could only find it

MikeEdgerton
Aug-09-2019, 7:35am
The Eastman Mandola strings are about 2 inches from the outside C to the outside A on the bridge. The Eastman saddle is wider than the Cumberland mandola saddle. If one were to keep the same spacing, the outside C and the outside A would have to be resting on the thick part of the saddle, not the compensated part. If you were to keep the strings on the extreme sides of compensated part of the saddle, they would too far away from the edge of the neck. But I am open to ideas on this. I would love to put a Cumberland on the mandola.

Contact Steve at CA. I would guess that he would need to know this. Now I have to measure mine because I was planning on using one of his bridges.

EdHanrahan
Aug-10-2019, 1:57pm
String spread aside, mandola bridges are compensated differently from mandolin bridges because mandola normally has 3 wound string courses, rather than the 2 on mandolin. Just as the D string (3rd course) on mandolin needs to be shorter than the G (4th course), so the D on mandola (now 2nd course) STILL needs to be shorter than the G (3rd course) on mandola. Using a mandolin bridge on mandola causes the D to be longer than the G course - not a great idea.

QuakeCity
Aug-12-2019, 4:57pm
This looks very interesting. I will follow up on it.
Thanks, Lord of All Badgers.