PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Monroe any good?

russhaire
Jan-16-2004, 12:45pm
Hello I'm brand new to the board. I just moved to the Baltimore Maryland area from Florida. I played mandolin over 20 years ago as a young guy and lately have really been missin it and wanna get back into it. I was wondering if you could tell me anything about the Morgan Monroe mando's. I have seen a couple around here and on Ebay and they are in my price range but I wanted some input on their quality etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much
Russ

thistle3585
Jan-16-2004, 1:22pm
I am happy with my MCM-CB. Of the import mandolins, I think they are in the upper tier in terms of quality and sound. I think most will agree that MM and MK's are the better of the imports. I do believe that the MKs now come with some options like radiused fretboard and scalloped fretboard extension that aren't currently available on MMs.

ab4usa
Jan-16-2004, 2:11pm
Russ,

I'm a longer term Maryland resident, new to Mandolin. Appalacian Bluegrass in Catonsville has both Morgam Monroe and MK Mandos that you could try. I take lessons there and they had 3 or 4 of each in stock.

mandokid
Jan-16-2004, 4:39pm
I have the MM-2. I have to agree that its one of the better imports. If you have the chance to go to the place mentioned in the previous post, definitely try out before you buy. I ordered mine online and am happy with what i got, but many say that the imports can vary in tone.

maroon
Jan-17-2004, 1:04am
I've had my Morgan Monroe MMS-2 for 1.25 years now and am happy with it. I also like the lifetime warranty. Note however, that their website says you have to fill out a form within 10 days of purchase. (I can't remember doing that myself).

prairiewind
Jan-17-2004, 5:13pm
Russ,

I'll put in a good work for Morgan Monroe, too. I've had my MMS-2 for about a year. I bought mine from an internet vendor. The good part is I've got a 100% tradeup deal if I go back to the same vendor. The bad part is I received the mando sight unseen. It worked for me, but I agree with Alan, its best to play a few and select the one you like.

Another consideration... you can customize an MM or MK yourself without feeling too much pressure to get it right and not mess up. I put a one piece maple bridge on mine (see the topic on maple bridges in the builders section)with Thomastick Infeld heavy strings. It sounds lots better than stock. My stock bridge had never been fit to the instrument top as evidenced by the factory milling machine marks still present on the undersides of the bridge feet. Good luck with your search.

Bob Goodwin

jumpyroo
Jan-17-2004, 5:18pm
I think that my mando's the Morgan Monroe collecter's model, or something, with inlay in the fingerboard, and I really like it. I've had it since last august, and it's really nice, except the set-up sucked when I bought it, so it got lots of adjustments, but I think that that was just the way the people that I bought it from set it up to begin with. I highly recommend it.

russhaire
Jan-17-2004, 9:52pm
I appreciate all your input! I am leaning towards the MM From what yall are sayin it sounds like a good mandolin for me at this stage. Who is that online vendor you mentioned had a "trade up" deal on the mandolins?
Thanks all
Russ

Fretbear
Jan-17-2004, 11:19pm
Russ, if you buy from www.fqms.com (an excellent company, by the way IMHO) they will give you a free upgrade to a Sullivan/Loar style bridge, good strings and pro set-up on the MM's, which will (hopefully) reject any dogs even before they are sold.

pickinBob
Jan-17-2004, 11:37pm
I havwe a MMS-4,"Phantom" and I eally like it. I got it from Folk of the Wood;

Folk of the Wood - Morgan Monroe page (http://www.folkofthewood.com/page675.htm#morganmonroe)

They were great to deal with, I had 1 problem and they sent me a new mando right away and paid for shipping of the old one back to them.

As far as the mando goes it sounds great. I have had a great time playing it in. It has plenty of volume and a nice chop to it. It sounds good in a group with no trouble being heard. I picked it because of the sound and color scheme. I am totally satisfied with it.

Folk of the Wood also has sound/video clips so you can listen to an instrument:

Morgan Monroe sound/video clips (http://www.folkofthewood.com/page2518.htm#morganmonroe)

Good luck happy pickin' http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

maroon
Jan-17-2004, 11:59pm
I appreciate all your input! I am leaning towards the MM From what yall are sayin it sounds like a good mandolin for me at this stage. Who is that online vendor you mentioned had a "trade up" deal on the mandolins?
Thanks all
Russ
I'm guessing Prariewind bought from Folk of the Wood as did I. #They are the ones who have the the 100% trade up policy when you buy new. #I not only bought my Morgan Monroe but recently a Weber Sweet Pea from them. #You can do a search for Folk of the Wood and draw your own conclusions.

russhaire
Jan-19-2004, 12:09pm
Thanks again everyone! I am going today to Appalachian music here in Catonsville Maryland to check em out.
Russ

prairiewind
Jan-19-2004, 7:57pm
Russ,

Sorry I wasn't able to stay logged on the other day to see the responses come in. Yes maroon is correct, I got my MM from FOTW. The shipping was prompt, and the mando arrived in good shape.

As for whether the MMS-2 is darker in tone than the MMS-3, I'm not sure that listening to the Mickey C. recordings on the FOTW site will give you a final answer. I imagine 2 MMS-2s or two MMS-3s will also sound different. As for sycamore, this topic has appeared several times before. Spruce, the local tonewood expert and vendor says sycamore = english sycamore = maple. I know some high-end violins, violas and cellos are made from sycamore. It's also used in some flamenco guitars as an alternative to the traditional cypress. It's supposed to give superior volume compared to mahogany or rosewood. I'll admit that my MMS-2 isn't as bright as my 1917 Gibson A-1... which is made of birch. You really have to play a mando and find out how it sounds.

prairiewind
Jan-19-2004, 9:23pm
Russ,

Post script to my last post. I seem to be mixing posts here. The tone thing is in response to a thread about the MMS-4 (same as MMS-2, but in black) in the Info About Mandolins section. The dark tone thing has come up several times.

Bob Goodwin

jugband
Jan-21-2004, 3:53am
Russ,

Post script to my last post. #I seem to be mixing posts here. #The tone thing is in response to a thread about the MMS-4 (same as MMS-2, but in black) in the Info About Mandolins section. #The dark tone thing has come up several times.

Bob Goodwin
I can hear the difference pretty plainly on the FOTW website, at least when listening through headphones instead of my $29 speakers.

I've also compared an in-person MMS-2 to my MMS-3, Kentucky KM-380S, and KM-750. The sycamore difference IS definitely there.

JDSmith
Jan-21-2004, 1:38pm
I would agree on the MCM-TB. I bought mine 3 months ago from thepickingparlor.com and have not been able to put it down. They did a nice set-up job and were a pleasure to deal with. I would advise, though, that if you can do so definitely try before you buy. Just in case.

I am considering upgrading the bridge and going with heavier strings. I know it might be like putting chrome Mag wheels on a Pinto but it's worth a shot until I can afford an F5L.

Any thoughts on a decent bridge upgrade?

prairiewind
Jan-21-2004, 1:40pm
Hey Jugband,

I wondered when you would see my post. What cuts does Mickey play on the FOTW website where he's playing the same tune on the MMS-2 and MMS-3? That comarison is probably the only way I'd be able to hear the difference you mention. I don't have any earphones, but the Boston Acoustics speakers I've got hooked up to my soundcard are pretty good. I may have a tin ear, but I really can't hear much difference.

Also, I'm no expert on tonewoods, but I have seen at least one academic article on the subject for violins. One parameter for sound performance mentioned was the ratio of sound velocity through the wood divided by the density of the wood. Norway maple, sycamore maple(European), and sycamore are all pretty much indistinguishable on this basis. The author noted that natural variations of 30% in values are normal. That's probably one reason why two instruments of the same make and model can sound different.

My only point was that each instrument has its own voice. Even factory-made pacrims like you and I own.

thistle3585
Jan-21-2004, 2:04pm
JD,
I got a maple bridge from Red Henry that I need to finish carving and I was going to put it on my MCM-CB. You might check out Red's website as he's been doing a lotof research on bridges and it has proved to be very educational.

russhaire
Feb-01-2004, 10:59pm
Well I wanted to thank all of you for the input. I did purchase a Morgan Monroe MMS-3 I like it alot. Now I have to learn to play it! Its a gorgeous little beauty!
Russ