PDA

View Full Version : Just Got It!

LKN2MYIS
Aug-09-2005, 12:44pm
Earlier today I received the Newell "A" that Keith had advertised for sale in the classifieds.

It is a welcome addition to the stable!

APPEARANCE: Beautiful! Quilted maple back, one piece Sitka top. The finish is, simply put, incredibly rich and warm. In addition, the fit is just incredible - in every piece of its' construction. It is very obvious that Keith knows what he is doing, has a great concept of 'the better interest of the design', and uses real high end materials. Amazing attention to detail.

And, I'm simply a sucker for tortoise binding.

TONE: Loud. This thing has a presence. When I first played it I almost wanted to call an exorcist, it was so alive. And, it is loud with rich tonal qualities. Very impressive.

FEEL: Like it belongs in my hands and needs to be played. It plays "like buddah". Very smooth and easy.

It has a carbon reinforced neck, Keith's custom carbon fiber bridge insert, and his custom tail piece.

This is a mandolin that will hold its' own.

On top of that, Keith was a pleasure to deal with. Knowledgable, easy to work with, and attentive.

Finally, his prices are very reasonable.

I would not hesitate to purchase another one of his instruments.

I'll follow this with some photos.

LKN2MYIS
Aug-09-2005, 12:45pm
The back:

LKN2MYIS
Aug-09-2005, 12:46pm
Side view. (I borrowed these shots from Keith's website: www.newellmandolins.com - his photos are better than my ability to conqure my camera!)

I'm proud that this is my mandolin!

mandoJeremy
Aug-09-2005, 12:54pm
Very nice, I love the quilted maple. Enjoy!

Tim Saxton
Aug-09-2005, 1:05pm
I am having Keith build me an A5 mandolin. I was at his place in Canby,Or. on sunday t odiscuss some final ideas etc. I had a chance to play that mandolin right before he packed it up and shipped to you. It is a real fine mandolin. It sure plays nice with great tone. It's hard to imagine that it can only get better with age and time.

The mandolin he is building for me will have a few new ideas that we came up with. It will be real nice. I hope to post some photos soon.

Tim

LKN2MYIS
Aug-09-2005, 1:08pm
Tim -

I agree, it plays so well that it is hard to imagine it will get better.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. Keith certainly produces high-end instruments.

Guitar Jeremy
Aug-09-2005, 1:34pm
Great mandolin.

Lane Pryce
Aug-09-2005, 1:43pm
Very Nice!!I really like that rich color and the binding complements it nicely. Lp

J. Mark Lane
Aug-09-2005, 1:50pm
Very very nice. Keith's mandolins are just beautiful.

My vision stinks (it sucks getting old). But it looks like the neck joins the body at about the 11th fret? Interesting -- Keith, did you do it that way to achieve a particular tonal result?

I like the larger fret markers...assuming that, too, is not just an example of me going blind (I know, I know, my Mother did warn me...all to no avail).

I also like the headstock. I generally prefer a fairly traditional headstock, and some of the variations don't do much for me. That one is nice.

Congrats!

LKN2MYIS
Aug-09-2005, 2:25pm
Mark -

Lately I think I would prefer no fretboard at all, just larger fret markers! My eyes ain't what they used to be.

jasona
Aug-09-2005, 2:47pm
Beautiful, rich finish. Enjoy your new mandolin (and the cash saved from Keith's great prices)!

LKN2MYIS
Aug-09-2005, 3:22pm
I honestly don't know how he can make such a quality instrument at such a fair price. But I like it!

fonefly
Aug-09-2005, 3:47pm
I also own one of Keith's "A" models. It is #9. I LOVE this mandolin it's beauty and sound are something special. I have received many compliments from players way better than me. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

ShaneJ
Aug-09-2005, 8:15pm
Looks like the crosspiece (if there is one - hard to tell w/the tortoise) hits the 14th fret, rather than the 15th. Looks to me like the neck block area is a little longer than "normal", making it extend up the neck just a bit more. Kieth, please correct me if I'm wrong. It's hard to tell w/low-res pics on the message board.

Whatever the specs, it's an incredibly gorgeous mandolin! Congrats, LKN2MYIS and Kieth! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Keith Newell
Aug-09-2005, 8:57pm
Thanks for the compliments! The neck joint is standard and the scale is 13 7/8" There is no 15th fret binding but is there was you would see the piece would fall about normal to most long necked mandolins. SJENNINGS you are partialy correct the neck block may be about 3/16" longer and the extra extends on the peghead side. Here is a picture of some earlier mandolins in the white that if you drew a line at the 15th fret you can see the neck block size.
Keith

LKN2MYIS
Aug-10-2005, 6:53am
Keith -

Just a public, personal thanks for creating such wonderful instruments. It was a pleasure dealing with you.

Sometime in the future (current cash flow issues), maybe we can talk about a 2-point . . . . .

John