PDA

View Full Version : All sorts of questions about Tabledit & Notation

grandmainger
Aug-09-2005, 7:38am
Folks, I'm currently playing with Dawgmatism (link to TEF file here (http://www.mandozine.com/music/tabledit_files/Dawgmatism-G-Grisman.tef))

The tab has all sorts of different little markings that I'm not familiar with, and don't how to play. I've made screen copies, and labeled them A-E:

A) How do you play the Bb [3] here?

grandmainger
Aug-09-2005, 7:39am
B) What does the uppercase B mean here?

grandmainger
Aug-09-2005, 7:40am
C) What do these 4 squares (lozenges?) mean?

grandmainger
Aug-09-2005, 7:41am
D) What do the uppercase R, the big bracket and the squiggly line mean here?

grandmainger
Aug-09-2005, 7:43am
and finally E) what is the meaning of the number 3 here, and why are the 3 quarter notes on the right underlined the way they are?

mandocrucian
Aug-09-2005, 8:59am
item 1 [3]: You don't play it, just allow the note to keep sounding for this duration. the sideways "(" is a tie when it used with pitches that are the same as a notational way to make reading the rhythms easier.

item two B :probably indicates a downwards "brush" with the right hand,

item three (diamond note heads): Harmonics. in your example, the octave harmonic off of the open string.

item 4 #R: Upstroke chord strum, but hitting the strings in sequence rather than getting all the notes simulataneous. #In blues guitar playing, known as a "rake", hence the "R"

Item 5 #"3": #Triplets. first example, 3 evenly timed notes in the space of two 8th notes, followed by 3 notes played in the space of two 4th notes.

Most of this terminology is explained in most instructional or transcribed solos books, either at the beggining, or as an appendix. You should look through what you've got on your shelves.

NH

Brad Weiss
Aug-09-2005, 9:23am
Niles is 100% right about all of this- the only point I'd make is that the first "3" in item 5 while annotated as triplet 8th notes, is played as tremolo. I suppose there's no other way to visually display tremolo - though the tilde ~ that connects the triplets is meant to suggest tremolo. And I suppose, good tremolo is played as a fluid sequence of triplets...

Like I said, Niles nailed it.

grandmainger
Aug-09-2005, 10:16am
Man I love this place! Thanks folks, super fast answers as usual http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif