PDA

View Full Version : Question about chords

meteoroid
Aug-08-2005, 11:48pm
Hello, I have recently started playing the mandolin. I am having some difficulty with some closed chords like the A with the G and D strings being held down at the same fret. My fingers are not big enough so that I can use one finger to hit both pairs by pressing directly down on them and my fingers are not small enough to easily fit with in that space with out having a string or two buzzing. Would pressing down on the strings with the top part of my index finger from the last joint on be a good idea or is there a better way to finger that chord? Also I'm not sure if my bridge is too high or too low what would be a good way to figure this out?

phriend2spin
Aug-09-2005, 12:20am
Yes, the first thing that came to mind was your action. My first mando had some really high action and it wasn't until I bought a nicer one that I discovered how hard it really was. I would just say practice. Also, being a newbie your fingers are probably not use to playing the thing so it will take time to develop the proper strength and coordination. This is true for everyone.

groveland
Aug-09-2005, 7:00am
Sounds identical to another new post in this category under a different name. Must be a very common problem, unless I misunderstand - see this post. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=25;t=26998)

Pete Martin
Aug-09-2005, 11:23am
If you are using a barre to play the index finger of the left hand on the 2nd fret of the G and D string for an A chord, make sure to rotate your left hand so the finger is parellel to the fret. Also, use the tip of the finger and push down just on the G and D strings.