PDA

View Full Version : first stringing

Bluemando
Mar-13-2004, 10:50am
I strung up my first today, about an hour ago. The top didnt cave in and only had a slight buzz untill I realized I had left the truss rod loose. I am just so happy I cant put it into words. I want to thank every one again for all your thoughts and experiences, I couldnt have done it without your help.

Now as to the new baby, it is a little tinny sounding, I think it may just be the newness of the strings. Hopefully that is all it is. I noticed it is more tinny sounding when I am trying to play melody but it has a fairly woody bark already. Maybe with a good breaking in it will sound like something great, but to be honest I think it already does, if for no other reason than, I made it.

It feels better than anything I have ever experienced to lay out a little red haired boy or bluegrass romp on something you have built wit your own two hands.

Feeling like the pround new father for the 4th time but only having 3 kids is a great sensation.

crawdad
Mar-14-2004, 12:25am
Bluemando--Congrats! it Is a good feeling to hear your own creation in your hands. I have my #1 strapped around my shoulder right now. I come home from work and pick--its sounds so good to me. I love the feel of french polish too--its so much "warmer' than lacquer to me. I just enjoy having this instrument so much, and knowing that I built it makes it even more special. Didnt cure my addiction though. I've already started on #2!
Let the new strings die down for a week or so and it will start to sound even better.

Pics?

Yonkle
Mar-14-2004, 10:46am
Mazeltov! On the new mando! I strung mine in the white last week too. Same reaction you had, good bark, loud, but tinny sounding. I noticed on my last mando it sounded tinny until the strings broke in. Then I tried several different brands of strings, and found the one that suits this mando. Then after playing it now for about a year, it is starting to open up and sound nice.
I guess they all sound a bit tinny first few hours, but I notice a sound change in a short time on this new mando. I guess after taking a piece of wood and bending it into a new shape, then gluing and sanding and staining and lacquering, it takes a while for the wood to break in to it new configuration. I heard Mike Marshell talk about Chris Thiles Dudenbostel and he said it started to open up and sound right in just 2 months, others take years, and if they are not built well, they never quite come to.
If you like it now, you will like it more later....Mine is in the lacquer drying mode right now, can't wait to finish it out and string it up again...JD

Bluemando
Mar-17-2004, 6:03am
she's in the lacquering stage now, Ive got the color to it and am doing the clear now. I think that this finishing step may be the toughest one yet. It seems like the further I get into finishing it the more little defect I find.
Still this my first for a lot of things and I am learning a lot. She's not a Loar, but it's a start, and nowhere to go but up. I will post pics soon, maybe tomorrow if the camera is charged.

Bluemando
Mar-21-2004, 6:56am
better late than never

Bluemando
Mar-21-2004, 6:59am
closer

Bluemando
Mar-21-2004, 7:00am
back

Chris Baird
Mar-21-2004, 4:38pm
That looks great. Nice blue burst.

Luthier
Mar-21-2004, 5:28pm
Mazeltov! I second that!!! Very nice!!

pathfinder
Mar-21-2004, 6:33pm
Wow! If that's your first, then you've got the magic touch...