PDA

View Full Version : Action

Miragliuolo
Aug-08-2005, 3:57pm
I've never adjusted the action on my mandolin since I bought it 6 months ago. So just for the heck of it I measured it. It's 3/32 on the the G string (that's ruler on the 12 fret (on the metal) to the underside of the string. And 4/32 on the E string. I just got used to it, but I was wondering if that was high or low? Should they be the same height ? What's considered average? And how do you like your action?

Miragliuolo
Aug-09-2005, 5:44pm
San Rafael,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I can come down a bit then. Does anyone else have any input on this issue?

Kevin Briggs
Sep-20-2005, 10:32pm
Regrading Gilchrist's specs. Here's his response to me via email, when I asked him about setting up my mandolin:

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your nice comments about my instruments.

A good working bluegrass action at the 12th fret (measured from the top of the 12th fret to the underside of the strings) should be between 2 and 3/32”, certainly not under 2/32” (1/16”) and slightly higher on the bass than the treble.

My standard set-up is 2.5/32” (5/64”) with a little neck relief, especially important for the bass strings. With the appropriate neck angle, this will result in a bridge height between Ύ”- 13/16”.

I hope this is helpful and that you’re back to full decibels real soon.

All the best,

Steve Gilchrist

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 2:02 PM
To: mandolins@gilchrist.com.au
Subject: Bridge Set-Up

Hi, Steve.

I admire your work very much, and look forward to being able to play one of your mandolins some day. For now, I'm very pleased with my Weber Bitteroot, which I upgraded to Curly Maple Back and Sides, Neck and Headstock, and the traditional, Loar-style Brekke Bridge.

I tried to lower the action on my factory set-up and scewed up the action and some of the tone. I just want to get back to that bluegrass bark again.

What are some standard bridge height measurements for a bluegrass set-up? I don't like my action very low, because ti's too flimsy to play, but I want to maintain dexterity.

Thanks for any help, I know you're very busy. I value your opinion tremendously.

Kevin Briggs

sunburst
Sep-20-2005, 10:52pm
That's in line with the way I usually set up a mandolin for a bluegrasser. I can't think in 64ths and 32nds very well, but I usually start my mandolins out at 1/16" under the E, and 3/32" under the G.
A lot of people like the action lower than that, and a few like it higher, so I adjust them for the owner.

jasona
Sep-21-2005, 1:09am
I am a little above 1/16 on the bass, and about right on 1.16 on the treble side.