PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Waltz

OdnamNool
Mar-13-2004, 8:15am
I really dig this tune that can be found in the MP3 section here at the Mandolin Cafe. What about those chords? What are they? Is there some music to look at? It's hard for me to tell whose playin' what there...Are there 2 mandolins or just one? Fill me in... I wanna learn it...

earthsave
Mar-13-2004, 10:35am
Background info on TN Waltz.... I was at an old time fiddle workshop with J.P. Fraley down in KY. He played this tune called the White Rose Waltz and we said that sounds a lot like the TN Waltz. He said, he wrote it before TN Waltz and Pee Wee King sorta borrowed it from him.

Stillpicking
Mar-14-2004, 10:46am
The cords that we use for the Tennesee Waltz are:

D, A7, Dmaj7, D7, G, Bm, Em, F#7 the F#7 appears only once about midway through the tune. We paly it with a mando start and then come in with the fiddles with bass and guitar backing. The mando and fiddles carry the tune. We play this tune at also all of our gigs. Folks love it .

Great tune made real popular by Mr. Monroe in the 1940s. If I am right he didn't write, Pee Wee King did I think.

MartinD_GibsonA
Mar-14-2004, 12:32pm
We do it like this on guitar, mandola and bass:

Tennessee Waltz
Key of G

A part
G G G C G G D D
G G G C G D G G

B part
G B7 C G G G D D
G G G C G D G G

Don Smith

John Flynn
Mar-14-2004, 2:25pm
I wonder if we are all talking about the same tune here. I think the tune on the MP3 section of the Cafe' referred to is called "Tennessee's Waltz for Daily." I don't think it is the same tune as the "Tennessee Waltz." Also, neither of those chord progresssions seem to fit the MP3. I don't have it all, but the A part seems to go Am Dm7 G.

David M.
Mar-14-2004, 10:46pm
Johnny, the tune you mentioned that's on the MP3 part here on cafe is NOT "Tennessee Waltz". Just listened to the MP3 and it's a good tune, though, and does remind me of a Fraley tune mentioned above or Fraley's "October Waltz".

Martin Jonas
Mar-15-2004, 5:57am
Although we have now established that Tennessee Waltz is not the tune the OP asked about, it might still be of some interest to put in a pointer towards Nigel Gatherer's very nice transcription of Tennessee Waltz (http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/gatherer/tunes/tab/tab1/ten.html). #

Martin