PDA

View Full Version : Electric Mandolin Ashtray Bridge Cover

ajh
Jun-04-2019, 12:34pm
Anybody know of a supplier for one of these. Something similar to the ones on the old Fender Mandocasters.....the guitar and bass versions are plentiful (but way too large) but I can't seem to find one for electric mando.177276

Thanks
Tony

kurth83
Jun-04-2019, 2:10pm
A thread a few years back called them rarer than hen's teeth.

I went looking for them last week and no luck

Verne Andru
Jun-04-2019, 8:36pm
They make it close to impossible to palm mute so most players toss them. You have a wall-hanger in need?

ajh
Jun-04-2019, 10:26pm
You would ask....long story.
I had come across a young woman making electric guitars out of recycled planks awhile back. Totally untrained....just tore apart old junk instruments and made new stuff out of whatever she found. Got into a conversation with her where she said she had some beams from the old Schmidt brewery in St Paul that she wanted to use for instruments. I gave her a commission to build an electric tenor guitar using the planks and an old tenor banjo neck (21" scale). Took awhile to get it, as she had a few "mishaps".....and she came close (is playable and the intonation is perfect), so I took it "as is" to let her get away from the project. Without destroying the neck/body join I have to sink the bridge down into the body top about .12/.18" to get the action playable. The cover is to "cover" the way it is going to look visually. She said she learned a lot........and I was only out 300 to support a young person pushing their envelope. When I get done it will be a player. The whole experience was well worth it. Well Verne, you asked.

Verne Andru
Jun-05-2019, 9:25am
Good story. Thanks for sharing. Good luck in your quest.

Pictures?

mandolinstew
Jun-05-2019, 12:02pm
I made one out of a mini humbucker pickup cover

BoxCarJoe
Jun-05-2019, 1:49pm

Got a picture of that?

I'd love one myself.

ajh
Jun-05-2019, 4:53pm
Good story. Thanks for sharing. Good luck in your quest.

Pictures?

In fairness to her....I'd rather not post pic's. I might very well post pics on this thread after I get it "modified" but it might be a bit into autumn as I have other pressing (medical) issues that are going to slow all of my projects for a couple months.

ajh
Jun-06-2019, 7:31pm

Now looking at door and cabinet pulls...thanks for the inspiration!

ajh
Mar-05-2020, 5:02pm
A picture of a mandocaster in the want ads made me think of how I solved this....I found an old silver plated butter dish cover and cut the ends to fit. Superglued a couple of small magnets to the cover and a couple more to the back plate of the bridge. Worked out perfect.