PDA

View Full Version : new mandobird

John Rosett
Aug-06-2005, 12:52pm
i swore that i'd never own another electric mandolin. over the years, i've owned a 50's gibson em-200, a 60's fender electric, a roberts tiny moore 5 string, and a 70's hondo f5 with a humbucker in the top. i started playing more electric guitar, and decided there's no reason to play emando.
i heard a rumor that the new music store in town would have some mandobirds in for they're grand opening this weekend, so i stopped in to check them out, as we haven't seen any around here yet. the owner offered me a great deal-much better that the online stores, so i'm now the owner of a brand new, gold sparkle mandobird.
i have to say, i'm pretty impressed with the quality of this thing. the only complaints i have are the nut is alittle rough, but i've seen lots worse, and the tiny frets. they're smaller than the original frets on my teens gibson. once i lowered the action, the intonation was fine. the strings pass right over the polepieces on the pickup, and it's quite playable. there's none of the e string volume drop that people complain about on this one. it's a real musical instrument!
has anybody experimented with lower tunings? i've heard that johnny gimble has his mandolin tuned to mandola tuning, but it seems like you'd have intonation problems.
thanks for listening, john