PDA

View Full Version : Hinged tailpiece

GDog
May-24-2019, 10:41am
Wondering if anyone has information on this type of tailpiece, maker, history, production etc. It’s hinged and has a small threaded locking mechanism. This one is on a The Vernon bowlback that I just picked up. The emblem on the headstock was missing but is oval. There was a number stamped into the back side of the headstock “26” either a SN or model number I suppose.176955

MikeEdgerton
May-24-2019, 11:06am
They were a common feature on many bowlbacks but I've never seen them attributed to any maker.

multidon
May-24-2019, 2:05pm
Off the shelf item available for many years. Not sure when they stopped making it or even if they did stop. They were made in Germany I believe and commonly known as a “kidney tailpiece”.

David L
May-27-2019, 8:41pm
I have the same type on my bowlback. The slightly curved top allows you to put your wrist/forearm in the curve to help hold the mandolin.

GDog
May-28-2019, 8:55am
I have the same type on my bowlback. The slightly curved top allows you to put your wrist/forearm in the curve to help hold the mandolin.
David, yes I have a few others with a nice curve in the tailpiece for forearm placement etc. In particular a Regal I have has a nice curve and size for that. Very comfortable, for me anyway.