PDA

View Full Version : Flinthill Mandos

olgraypat
Aug-05-2005, 10:36am
I was in a local music store yesterday. They had a BUNCH of low-end mandolins, including Washburns, Kentuckys, Morgan Monroes, Epiphone and some others. I had a few minutes, and wanted to buy a couple of picks, so I tried out picks on the various mandos. The last one I picked up was a "Flinthill" A style which sold for $179 and seemed to me to play the socks off everything else I had picked up. Anybody know who makes them, and was I just delusional, or did I just happen to pick up a ringer? This would seem to be the perfect beach/beater. It also had a label on it that said "all solid wood."

Jim M.
Aug-05-2005, 11:35am
That's another brand from Saga, the good folks who bring us Kentucky, Rover, and Trinity College. There's one on Ebay for $139, I think.

olgraypat
Aug-06-2005, 8:51am
Did pick up somewhere along the way that the good folks at Saga also are the makers of the IV Mando kits marketed by International Violin ?

bluegrassjack2
Aug-22-2005, 3:05pm
I owned a Flinthill for a while. Very good mandolin for the price. I liked it better than the Kentuckys I've played.

GTison
Aug-22-2005, 3:32pm
they probably all come from the same assembly plant. They just put different names one them. Saga, Kentucky, Flinthill, Rover, others? I'd say you just picked up one that was better than the rest.