PDA

View Full Version : Tunings, temperaments

Arto
Aug-05-2005, 5:24am
The interesting "Origins of the major scale?" thread got me thinking. Fascinating stuff, these historical tuning systems (and thanks to JimD for pointing out the two articles in Early Music magazine about Bachīs tuning!).

Meantone tuning, Werkmeister, Vallotti, Bachīs well temperament, equal temperament... Does anybody know audio files about these in the net? Mathematical descriptions are interesting, but it doesnīt tell so much how these tunings SOUND. Of course there are lots of great recordings done on differently tuned old organs, harpsichords etc, but my ears arenīt good enought to compare tunings behind the instrumentīs sound colours and the musicianīs interpretation. It would be really interesting to to hear for example some simple piece or part of it played on simple computer sound but with different tuning systems. Does such web site exist?

thanks, Arto

JimD
Aug-07-2005, 7:14am
I don't know of any sites with temperament examples. I'll let you know if I find anything.

There should be some materials available from the Just Intonation Network.

Do you have access to an easily tunable keyboard? Years ago I bought a simple clavichord (built from a kit). I got some books on the historical tunings and set about trying them out. Fun and enlightening -- but addictive and time-consuming...

To really learn about tunings, though, you almost have to tune them and use them yourself.

JimD
Aug-07-2005, 10:05am
You can find many useful resources here (http://www.justintonation.net/) .

They have links to software that can execute different tunings etc.

Hope it helps. I am sure there must be more out there as well.

Chip Booth
Aug-20-2005, 1:33pm
As part of my research into the "Origins of the major scale" thread I came across this insane website with mps of exactly what you are asking about, Arto.

Enjoy,
Chip

groveland
Aug-20-2005, 7:26pm
The sound files comparing just intonation and equal temperment are striking and the differences are clearly depicted here. Some intervals only differ by a couple cents, and it's pretty hard to tell the difference unless you listen for the 'beats'. Others differ by more than 10 cents, and the difference is obvious. What's really fun is playing entire chords in just temperment - Pretty unsettling.

Thanks so much for the link!

Arto
Aug-21-2005, 8:46am
Thanks friends!

This site (http://pages.globetrotter.net/roule/accord.htm) seems to have mp3 files for comparison, too.