PDA

View Full Version : Others instruments

4-6-8
Aug-03-2005, 10:01pm
I know this is a MANDOLIN board, but i was wondering what other instruments y'all play? i personally play bass, ukulele, guitar, and mandolin (hence the name 4-6-8, being the # of strings on their respective instrument). I have 2 accoustic guitars, 5 electrics, a bass, a mando, and a uke. But what about you all out there in the cafe? whatcha got? pictures? i'll post mine when i get them.

JimRichter
Aug-04-2005, 2:02am
Don't mean to come off rude (especially since you're new to the message board--Welcome!), but we have a similar thread every couple of months. It is very much the case that the majority of people here are multi-instrumentalists.

If you'd like to read the most recent thread (and there are many similar ones in the archives), here the Link (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=26584;hl=other+and+ins truments+and+play)

Jim

groveland
Aug-04-2005, 6:42am
The thread that Jim refers to really covers the subject well. Mainly I found out a lot about who we're having a conversation with here. There was another thread discovering the AGES of the folks on the Cafe, which also introduced our compadres.

And welcome to the Cafe.

glauber
Aug-04-2005, 7:33am
What's your name?
What's your quest?
What's your favourite color? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Second the suggestion to check the other thread. Meanwhile, here's a picture of me playing my cigar, i mean, instrument:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4968/BillSax.th.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=BillSax.jpg)

(just kidding)

ira
Aug-04-2005, 12:07pm
green.......no bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......
....................:D

mandoJeremy
Aug-04-2005, 7:51pm
Ease up just a little Jim on a new guy. I don't think the other threads have pictures and he was asking you to post pictures or whatever. Welcome Aaron and enjoy the Cafe.

Steve Cantrell
Aug-04-2005, 8:10pm
Well said, Jeremy. I don't remember combing through the archives my first trip here either. Welcome, Aaron.

Scotti Adams
Aug-05-2005, 3:48pm
..here ya go

JimRichter
Aug-06-2005, 12:10am
Ease up just a little Jim on a new guy. #I don't think the other threads have pictures and he was asking you to post pictures or whatever. #Welcome Aaron and enjoy the Cafe.
Didn't think I was coming down hard on him. #If so, I'm sorry. #But I don't think my post was, "Hey dumb@@@." #It was polite. #I think I've seen you come down hard a time or two http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jim

Scotti Adams
Aug-06-2005, 9:55am
..you got that right Jim...

mandoJeremy
Aug-06-2005, 1:52pm
Jim, you're absolutely right that you've seen me come down hard a time or two, or one hundred tmes but I am usally quite nice to new people here. #Also, I can bet you that you haven't seen me do that in quite some time either so I guess the "you did it too game" isn't really what I was after in my post. I have been trying to change my attitude in general and I have actually not been posting around here as much just because I have more playing to do than reading. #Anyways, I just think it is a good thing to be nice to the new people because we were once new here also and no one knows about the searching the archives thing when they first come here. #Oh well, I am done with this one because it doesn't concern me and I appreciate you getting your two cents in Scotti....you should've mentioned a Rose mandolin somehow in that sentence while you were at it.

fredfrank
Aug-06-2005, 2:34pm
Let's see . . . here's what I use to entertain myself:

Collings D-1S

fredfrank
Aug-06-2005, 2:36pm
or . . .

fredfrank
Aug-06-2005, 2:38pm
of course:

fredfrank
Aug-06-2005, 2:39pm
But lately, it's this . . .

LeoR
Aug-06-2005, 6:37pm
Cool stuff Fred! I like this thread [sans the venom...]

Attached is a pic of a few things I have laying about. I have a prewar flathead somewhere (RB-7) but I think it would have destroyed this happy family http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

LeoR
Aug-06-2005, 6:38pm
Toys

LeoR
Aug-06-2005, 6:40pm
That's (from left to right) 2001 Smith Creek F-5 #37, 1780 something Benjamin Banks violin, 1924 Gibson A-Jr, 2005 Rose F-5 #30, 1953 D-28, 1958 D-28, 1950 something Kay Bass. RB-7 is pouting:(

banjomanva
Aug-06-2005, 6:41pm
1. MK legacy evolution 2005
2. Dixon A late 80's
3. Fender A 1990
4. Gibson Bass (electric) 1989
5. Gibson Les Paul (electric) 1991
6. Blueridge BR160 acoustic 2004
7. Washburn banjo 1980
8. 2 fiddles (hand-crafted, no name) ? on the dates

croonerexpress
Aug-06-2005, 7:00pm
breedlove olympic (for sale)
gallagher doc watson 12-fret
greg s. brandt classical guitar (amazing guitar)

FrankenMouse
Aug-06-2005, 7:10pm
Leo,

Awful wasteful and redundant having two 50's D-28s. You really should sell me one of them cheap.

Scotti,

Four guitars and ALL dreads? Again, you really should sell me one cheap.

Mike

FrankenMouse
Aug-06-2005, 7:27pm
My Martin 00-18V and $20.00 Mahalo Ukulele. (The A1 is also mine, the others aren't. Just out of frame: washtub bass!)

HarmonyRexy
Aug-07-2005, 3:55pm
This little dude with the melodium is our 7 year old son. He’s very into music.
He’s working on all of the instruments in these pictures… except the Selmer S-10 Clarinet, maybe in a few years.
He also isn’t allowed to touch most of my mandolins without intense adult supervision… but all the rest is up for playing at any time---before midnight. (We had to draw the line somewhere….)
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

HarmonyRexy
Aug-07-2005, 4:15pm
Here's the rest.... These are the more 'mountain' types of instruments.
We play the diddle-bow with a copper spoon. There's 3 canjos, 2 strumsticks, a 'mountain' banjo, and an autoharp.
We enjoy them all!!!

(Sharp-eyed folks may notice that the little dude's wearing a Yank Rachell shirt.) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

fatt-dad
Aug-07-2005, 7:54pm
two tenor banjos
one old-time banjo
two accordians
three guitars (martin, gibson, yahama)
two saxiphones
one violin (not working - yet)
one big ukulele and one small one
an old upright piano (concert quality with lots of family history)

None of this counts the kids stuff, which would add clarinet, electric bass, electric guitar(s), trumpet, bugle, cornet and maybe another ukulele.

fatt you-had-to-ask dad

olgraypat
Aug-08-2005, 9:50am
Agreed, about not dissing the new guy. As for me:

>Casio Keyboard
>OLD Beltone open back banjo (I think they made these before they went into the hearing aid business--and I suspect there is a connection/ bought for $50 in an antique store in Knoxville, TN)
>Martin OOOM guitar
>Morgan Monroe MMS-4
>IV Kit mando
>Hamer electric guitar
>Old vioin laying in pieces on a bureau in the guest bedroom (family heirloom)
Washboard by National Washboard Co

Gee, h=you guys have a lot ofood stuff

Kelly_guy
Aug-08-2005, 11:34am
OK, since I haven't participated in any of the previous threads on this topic, I'll bite. Here's my list:

--Taylor 712 guitar
--old Yamaha nylon string guitar I've had since I was 16
--Weber Absaroka mando
--Gibson A-12 "lumpy" mando
--1953 Martin mando
--Conn trombone
--folk dulcimer
--tin whistle
--a pile of harmonicas, including a chromatic harp

GVD
Aug-08-2005, 1:39pm
Guitar, fiddle and currently in the market for a bass.

GVD

4-6-8
Aug-08-2005, 11:14pm
HarmonyRexy, what are the odd stringed instruments with the cans in your pictures? i must say i'm quite intrigued...

(yes i am the controversial "new guy"...)
By the way all is forgiven for anybody "coming down hard" no hard feelings

HarmonyRexy
Aug-09-2005, 6:08am
The diddle bow is the one on the ottoman that you play across your lap with a slide. #We usually use a bit of copper pipe but now we're using a brass spoon. Traditionally, people used little glass medicine bottles on their finger... or sometimes the handle on a butter knife. It can play a sweet, somewhat sad melody... or a happy, bouncy tune.
The other 'canned' instruments are CanJos. Those we play with medium picks. They can be quite loud. #
The other instruments, except the autoharp, are versions of the Strumstick... which is similar to the Canjo. #You can play them like the Canjo with the other strings as drones so you can play chords on them. They can be really easy or more difficult if you want.
There is a regular Strumstick, a grand strumstick and a mountain banjo. #The canjos and strumsticks are all related to dulcimers... many players use them as a more portable version... plus they are very fun. #
Our family plays them together often and it has an interesting sound.... or they go well with other instruments, too.
(It's also a nice way to get non-playing spouses involved in the music...& maybe a bit more understanding about all of those mandolins...)

Wando
Aug-09-2005, 12:46pm
4 electric basses, ABG, upright bass, jazz guitar, classical guitar, drum kit, timbales, keyboard synthesizer, violin and...my favorite...mandos! #I'm a working bassist, so the mandos are sheer pleasure.

I agree with someone's point that we are probably all multi-instrument people. #I guess the mandolin isn't popular enough yet for youngsters to begin on it and stay with it (except maybe in bluegrass territory). #Consider that John McGann is the first professor of mandolin at Berklee. Frankly, there are a zillion more bass gigs than mando gigs - at least up north where I am.

4-6-8
Aug-09-2005, 1:00pm
Those CanJos look homemade. are they? if they are, could you tell me how to make them? email me at zipgun89@yahoo.com

By the Way...
Montaya Bass (70's)
Matao les paul copy guitar (year?)
Kramer electric guitar (1987)
Fender bullet guitar (1988)
Squier II stratocaster (year?)
Epiphone SG special
Madiera acoustic
Fender Malibu acoustic
Ibanez wood art acoustic
Rogue baritone ukulele
Tres Pinos Mandolin (My newest favorite)

groveland
Aug-09-2005, 10:39pm
Hey 2-4-6-8 - You really want to see a rare and collectable equipment list, ask these guys "What instruments have you sold to pay rent over the years?" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

HarmonyRexy
Aug-10-2005, 9:39pm
Two of the CanJos in the picture are from Smokey Mountain Dulcimer. The diddle-bow, one of the strumsticks and the mountain banjo also came from there. I know that he has a web-site that you may be able to get a better look at them than in this picture.

The other one was made by a man who saw my son play one at our local bluegrass night. #A lady from Virginia brought one and played it on-stage. Later, she let my son play. #He was 6 years old. One of the guys made him one in his garage... and that was how we got into these instruments.

There are a couple kinds of CanJos. #These are using tin cans are the easier ones to make. #Sometimes, you see them made with soda cans--- cute idea, but the tension in the string will cause the can to buckle sooner or later so they're not really a good thing.

My son and I are making some that are the other kind... with cookie tins/metal game boxes facing in a way that makes them look more banjo-ish. #We are also making cigar box strum-sticks and a mandolin. We just fretted the mando fingerboard. #I had hoped to have the first group of these completed before school started but that's not possible now.
We got the plans for the cigar boxes off of the internet... and the other type of canjos, we bought plans. #
I'm looking for those plans to send to you but I can't figure out where they are now. I'll contact you when/if I find them.

Groveland--- You are so right! It makes me sick to think of the great instruments that I sold... because of 'small bumps in the road'. Now I can see that in most cases, I didn't need to sell... hind sight is definitely 20-20!

4-6-8, You got some of us to post pictures of our 'other' instruments, but we haven't seen pix of yours... How about it? Let us see them...

Keith Miller
Aug-10-2005, 10:08pm
OK, here's what is lying around at the moment, it tends to change as I sell stuff and buy other things...never yet sold a mandolin though
Elkhart tenor sax from the 20s
Arbiter soprano sax
old Russian clarinet,
Countryman tenor banjo
takaharu 12 string guitar
unknown classical guitar
Hero elecroacoustic guitar
fiddle (make unknown)
old mandola
german mandolin, crafter mandolin, Infinity mandolin,cheapo axl mandolin,
6 penny whistles
chanter
parlour pipes
trumpet
piano and a couple of yamaha keyboards.
now that I see the list maybe the wife is right !!!
Keith.

John Zimm
Aug-11-2005, 1:29pm
Here's a picture of one of my other instruments, and a baby for reference. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif The guitar is an Alvarez Yiari. I also have a Hernandis and a Mozzani. I'm actually a much better guitarist than mando player, sadly.

generankin
Aug-11-2005, 5:09pm
Well, I'm best at playing the radio and the phonograph. But there's the late '40s Gibson SJ that's out getting fixed (supposedly), a '73 Alvarez-Yairi DY-77(v. nice copy of a herringbone) a '75 Alembic Spoiler bass, and (warning! mando content:) an '04 Eastman 815 and a soon-to-arrive Phoenix Deluxe (with some Bluegrass decorations). Then there's my daughter's Eastman 305 fiddle, which is on my list to learn to play.

A CheeseHead

fatt-dad
Aug-11-2005, 8:00pm
Oh yeah, and a '36 Gibson L-00.

f-d

Derrick
Aug-24-2005, 12:55pm
I play the bouzouki and nylon-string guitar

Ken Sager
Aug-24-2005, 2:25pm
3 mandolins (plus one on order)
1 octave mandolin
1 electric mandolin
2 tenor banjos
1 5-string banjo
3 banjo-ukes
8 acoustic guitars
3 electric guitars
2 upright basses
2 fiddles

and that's just the stringed instruments...

I need help.

EDIT: I listed one too few mandolins, and one too many guitars...

Derrick
Aug-24-2005, 2:38pm
yeah you do ;)

Brian Baker
Aug-24-2005, 9:51pm
2003 Gibson A-9
Old no-name Harmony-type A-style mando
Seagull S6 Spruce acoustic guitar w/ LR Baggs p/u
1970 Univox 'Grass banjo
1978 Bach Stradivarius Bb trumpet
2004 Jupiter 740S flugelhorn
Taye Rockpro 6-pc drum set w/ Zildjian A's
Korg X-5 synthesizer
Cheepie Squire electric bass

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

ronlane3
Aug-24-2005, 9:55pm
2 mandolins
2 guitars

Question for Ken Sager, Why do you need 2 doghouse basses?

Ken Sager
Aug-24-2005, 11:19pm
Question for Ken Sager, #Why do you need 2 doghouse basses?
One stays home (carved) the other goes to festivals (plywood).

Darryl Wolfe
Aug-25-2005, 8:59am
Hmm..I'll try
23 Loar
25 A2
23 A4
23 A2
15 A
23 Martin BB Mandola
20 Weymann maple
20 Weymann mahogany
30's Stella Mando
Orme Howe Mandolinetta
'93 Henderson D-45
04 D-18GE
85 Wolfe Brazilian/spruce Reso/Dobro
59 Martin 0-15T
80's Fernandez Tele
89 Wolfe Custom "57" Strat
86 Wolfe Custom "64" Jazz B
99 Fender Precision B
91 Fender Deluxe USA 5 String Jazz
2- Wolfe F5's under construction
6- Wolfe A5's under construction

in trust..from Dad
95 Wolfe Presentation Brazilian Reso
95 Wolfe Presentation Plus Brazilian/Gold sparkle Reso
37 Model 36 Square neck Dobro
38 Model 36 like Dobro mando

and..whatever I forgot..including cases, parts and junker jap guitars

danb
Aug-25-2005, 9:24am
hmm..

C,G,D,A,F hohner pro harps
D hohner chromonica (large)
G hohner chromonica (small)
D/A G/C hohner echo
Chinese G/C echo harp clone
Another Hohner harp called "the seductora" (really), a great big banana-shaped thing in C that sounds like a cathedral organ and empties your lungs faster than a hit from a linebacker
chieftan low d tinwhistle
no-brand d-whistle
1903 Gibson F2 3-point
1917 vega 10-string mando/mandola
1917 Gibson F4
1922 Gibson A snakehead
1922 Gibson F4 (truss rod, on loan)
1930 Weymann style 2 tenor banjo (forgot that one!)
2002 Lebeda F5
2004 Chanticleer resonator tenor guitar
2005 prototype chanticleer octave mandolin (loan)
small button accordian (child size)
jaw harp
2005 Albert Alfonso bodhran
2 rescued fiddles (garage sales).. one started as a salzard and was retopped with something aful, the other is a no-name

monroerules
Aug-26-2005, 2:46pm
Here is one of the violin family.

monroerules
Aug-26-2005, 2:51pm
Another

HarmonyRexy
Aug-26-2005, 4:52pm
Wow, Monroerules!
Who's the model for the carving? I'm sure that it is someone famous and that I'm just not in the 'know'..

When I first looked at it, I thought maybe it was Paganini in his later years... violin legends still circle around him...
It's a very interesting instrument! Thanks for sharing it!

Dan-- Can you post a picture? Especially of the "the seductora"... We love the Hohners over here and it sounds like you have a great collection!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

monroerules
Aug-26-2005, 7:10pm
The scroll is non other than Gaspard Duffenpruggar. It is said that Vuilleme (sp) turned these out his shop. The intent was to reveal that Duffenpruggar gave credit to the violin shape today as we know it. Therefore, he had plenty to sale. Wonderful inlaid back.

HarmonyRexy
Aug-26-2005, 9:40pm
How cool is that!!!
Thanks for telling us about your interesting violin!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/unclesam.gif

fatt-dad
Aug-27-2005, 9:27am
. . . . and some combs and a roll of wax paper.

fatt I-have-a-bottom-drawer-with-some-banana-shaped-harmonicas-too dad

Bob Sayers
Aug-27-2005, 10:06am
1999 Rick Turner 1C-LB electric (Lindsey Buckingham model)
2000 Martin 000-28EC (Clapton model)
2001 Martin NWD (George Nakashima) dreadnought
2003 Gibson Wayne Benson signature F-5
2004 Gibson Varnish Fern F-5

Don't know why I wound up with so many signature instruments. #I love pre-war Martin 000-28s both for their looks and their short scale and the Clapton model is the closest thing Martin is current making to the original design. #This is far and away my favorite "playing" guitar. #The Nakashima I bought because I have some George Nakashima furniture. #It has black walnut back and sides which produce a nice sound, but unfortunately not as complex and resonant as a rosewood D-28. #I ordered the Rick Turner electric after attending a Fleetwood Mac concert; it's an amazing guitar, though I don't play it as much as I should. #I love the Benson model mandolin for its beautiful satin red finish and blue abalone fern inlay. #It has a fine sound, though it needs a different set-up (which I don't know how to accomplish). #The Varnish Fern is set up perfectly (I bought it from Elderly), plays like butter, and has a dark rich sound. #This should be my favorite, but the red Benson has that look...

Bob

monroerules
Aug-27-2005, 12:56pm
Here are some of the back. Glad you enjoyed HarmonyRexy

John Ritchhart
Aug-27-2005, 4:34pm
I have a mandolin.

Roydw3
Aug-27-2005, 4:54pm
Bass guitar, 2 electric guitars, 3 acoustic guitars, 2 mandolins, drum kit, and 88 key keyboard - sold one drum kit and a piano in the past year....still want to add a banjo and an acoustic bass to this mix

Roydw3
Aug-27-2005, 4:57pm
Bass guitar, 2 electric guitars, 3 acoustic guitars, 2 mandolins, drum kit, and 88 key keyboard - sold one drum kit and a piano in the past year....still want to add a banjo and an acoustic bass to this mix

FlawLaw
Aug-29-2005, 11:10am
Polish carved upright bass
Tut Taylor Virginia squareneck Dobro
2 mandolins
Pearl BRX Drum kit
Zon Sonus 5/1 Bass
Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass
Fender/Warmoth Jaguar Guitar