PDA

View Full Version : What is it???

Jeremy A
Apr-08-2019, 2:05am
Can anyone help identify this Mandolin please?
I have been offered this mando by a friend. I have no details of labels as yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeremy

Graham McDonald
Apr-08-2019, 2:31am
Pre-WW1 German, mostly sold in England with labels along the line of Viennese School of Music or similar.

Cheers

Ray(T)
Apr-08-2019, 3:13am
They show up in UK music shops and auctions on a regular basis but I don’t remember seeing one with a maple back. If you’re thinking of taking it on, check out that long crack on the front and make sure that the tuners work first.

Jeremy A
Apr-08-2019, 4:09am
Thanks for that Graham. Incidentally, just bought your Mandolin Project book - very useful as I'm building my first mando!

Graham McDonald
Apr-08-2019, 6:18am
I hope the book is useful and I can always be emailed for clarification or explanations if required. I always like to see photos of mandolins people build from the books.
Cheers

jimmy powells
Apr-09-2019, 5:45pm
I've handled a good few of these and they are a talking point but no more. As an instrument, they usually have a few issues and sound very thin so I wouldn't have one for £20.

May look nice hanging up in a restuarant.

Dave Hanson
Apr-10-2019, 1:52am
I had one of these many years ago, there is virtually no break angle at the bridge, hence the
device to force the strings down below the bridge, ergo no volume or decent tone, piece of slightly interesting junk IMHO.

Dave H

NickR
Apr-11-2019, 2:45am
This gentleman has spent a lot of time looking into the mandolins made by Ewald Glaesel that were retailed during the mandolin craze in the UK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drvg7Xnk1sk

John Bertotti
Apr-11-2019, 11:23am
I actually like the shape perhaps some creative tinkering could make it a functional well-sounding instrument? A lot of tinkering, change the neck angle work the top and bracing a bit. A nice project if you are trying to learn that side of the instrument world.