PDA

View Full Version : The Mountain

Mark Gunter
Mar-30-2019, 8:24pm
The last few videos I posted have been practice videos where I've been exploring songs that interest me -- not polished performances, but raw iPhone video and audio footage. This one is no exception; it's a bit rough and my tone is not great, technique still a bit sloppy, but I'm having fun, and exploring ideas for solo performance.

I've been living in an old Plymouth van that I'm in the process of converting into a camper van for travel, since January this year, and though I plan to outfit this camper with my recording equipment when I build the larger port side cabinets, for now, with all the changes in my life, the best I've been able to manage are these raw, one-take recordings of practice sessions. I am really looking forward to the day when I can focus on polishing some of this material and doing a better job of recording it -- as well as getting back to the Woodshed Study Group videos about Brad Laird's Mandolin Master Class.

My most pleasurable mandolin practice tunes the past couple weeks have been Jimmie Rodgers Last Blue Yodel and this tune, The Mountain, written by Steve Earle. The song was recorded by Del McCoury with Steve Earle, and also appeared on Levon Helm's Dirt Farmer album.

OKgdEZfkl-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKgdEZfkl-o

Don Grieser
Mar-30-2019, 9:24pm
Great job on a wonderful song, Mark! Are you coming to Pagosa?

HonketyHank
Mar-30-2019, 9:31pm
You do have the stuff, Mark. Keep it up.

MontanaMatt
Mar-30-2019, 9:39pm
I love that song. I'm inspired to learn it now, thanks!

Mark Gunter
Mar-31-2019, 7:47am
Thanks guys. Don, yes, I hope to spend a couple weeks in the Rio Grande Nat'l Forest up in Wolf Creek Pass, and come down to the festival. Hope to see you there again!

bbcee
Mar-31-2019, 8:21am
Excellent version, Mark. To produce a moving version straight to video is really enviable. Keep 'em coming!

Hillsdale Leroy
Apr-08-2019, 4:49pm
I really enjoyed that.

MikeZito
Apr-09-2019, 6:19am
Keep up the good work!

Frankdolin
Apr-09-2019, 7:06am
Sound'n great Mark!:mandosmiley: