PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Mandolins on Clearance!

gspiess
Mar-29-2019, 6:23am
Apparently you can play them left handed and fingerpick behind the bridge! $29.95175679

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ejoyous-IRIN-Wooden-Classic-Mandolin-8-String-Guitar-with-Carry-Storage-Bag-8-String-Mandolin-Wooden-Mandolin/199431834?sourceid=dsn_fb_cb5b3ed4-92c9-4213-a1b8-4fec6556dcf6&veh=dsn&wmlspartner=dsn_fb_cb5b3ed4-92c9-4213-a1b8-4fec6556dcf6&fbclid=IwAR0NyVzKwv2F3BW6ee1IxOfUg9Llg7jlca3k5oj-VwszGspFykeBgCwVMzM

MikeEdgerton
Mar-29-2019, 6:54am
That same image for that same ad has actually been here before. I'm tryng to remember if it was on eBay. It's always refreshing to see things like that though. I've always enjoyed this stock photo of someone that obviously has never really performed this task. For anyone unfamiliar with soldering, don't hold the iron that way.

Russ Donahue
Mar-29-2019, 6:55am
You left out the amazing features!
(taken from the site)

Feature:

The shape of the body is like an almond, more like a cutaway pear.
Its sound is like a silver bell rolling, it is very crisp, ethereal, finely broken, clean, classically rich, sensitive, bright and sweet.
Responsive and sensitive strings fit the Asian hand, reducing the fatigue of playing, and helping to cultivate the interest of learners.
A well-built mandolin at this price range is truly unheard of, will appeal to a whole new group of players with its construction, fittings, and sound.
Best choice for yourself or as a gift for your dear friends (Come with a soft storage bag).

kegcrowe
Mar-29-2019, 6:59am
hmmm. "alternate" playing method aside, I wonder if this is more or less a renamed Rogue.

multidon
Mar-29-2019, 7:04am
Whoa! Check out that bridge tilt! That’s some serious compensation!

If it is a rebranded Rogue, and I strongly suspect that because of the strong resemblance, it’s a good buy for someone will to do their own set up according to Rob Meldrum’s book.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-29-2019, 7:31am
hmmm. "alternate" playing method aside, I wonder if this is more or less a renamed Rogue.

That same mandolin comes into the country under lots of names, and yes, they look to be the same instrument.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-29-2019, 7:48am
For thirty bucks how can you go wrong? I just bought one for a fun project I have been putting off for years. By the way, it's not a Wal-Mart item for anyone wondering, it's a private seller on the Wal-Mart platform. Wal-Mart handles the payment information.

kegcrowe
Mar-29-2019, 8:05am
For thirty bucks how can you go wrong?

so true and I can't resist a 'bargain', especially one that sounds like a silver bell rolling. and it comes with a 'storage bag' that is pictured as the same bag Howard Morris sent my flattop in... I paid 50 bucks for my rogue from musicians friend without a bag. I've been using my rogue as my "outside" mandolin, so now I have a travel/outside backup. :)):mandosmiley::cool:

DaveGinNJ
Mar-29-2019, 8:49am
" a well-built mandolin at this price range is truly unheard of"

I assume that this instrument fully demonstrates this to be true

Dave Fultz
Mar-29-2019, 9:01am
You left out the amazing features!
(taken from the site)
... Feature: Responsive and sensitive strings fit the Asian hand ...

Dog gone it. I’ve got big old farmer hands.

Joseph Baker
Mar-29-2019, 9:38am
I liked the line "Tell us if something is incorrect"!

Where do you start???

Joseph Baker

belbein
Mar-29-2019, 10:34am
It's a scam, guys. It has nothing to do with Wal-Mart. I'll bet the seller is from Asia. If you just want to throw away $30, send it to me.

dhergert
Mar-29-2019, 11:33am
The sad thing to me is that no one involved with the creation of this add had any knowledge about the instrument itself.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-29-2019, 11:47am
It's a scam, guys. It has nothing to do with Wal-Mart. I'll bet the seller is from Asia. If you just want to throw away $30, send it to me.

Yeah, except Wal-Mart is on the hook for the money. It's not like you're going to a website of some fly-by-night. You've probably got less risk here than on eBay. You paid the money to Wal-Mart. I'll take my chances on it.

Seter
Mar-29-2019, 11:55am
The modest gig bag it comes with is probably worth 10-15$ or so on it's own. I have enough lower end mandolins myself though, need to save up to upgrade to a nicer bowlback next.

Dale Ludewig
Mar-29-2019, 12:02pm
Isn't the girl's skirt on backwards? I thought women's skirts had the zipper in the back. I haven't been paying attention recently, though.

catmandu2
Mar-29-2019, 12:43pm
Isn't the girl's skirt on backwards? I thought women's skirts had the zipper in the back. I haven't been paying attention recently, though.

Yes, times have changed my friend. Not only do some styles comprise a zippered-front, but you can now get an almond-shaped (more like a cut-away pear) MSO for 30 bucks (perfect decor for your restaurant or bar).

catmandu2
Mar-29-2019, 12:50pm
The sad thing to me is that no one involved with the creation of this add had any knowledge about the instrument itself.

I think maybe something gets lost in the translation. This accounts for silver bell rolling ("just like a ringin' a bell") and storage bag ("gunny sack")

;)

After all, it's difficult for the novice to disentangle all the phantasmogoric iconography of western capitalism, so I'm sympathetic. Christmas, Johnny B Goode...only thing missing is Elvis...

Tom C
Mar-29-2019, 2:56pm
Just step down from a "Miguel" :)

Dale Ludewig
Mar-29-2019, 2:57pm
Catmandu2, Elvis is missing? I know we're sliding slightly off the mandolin road here, but the skirt in the ad certainly looks like suede. And if it were blue.... Okay then, back to mandolins.

belbein
Mar-29-2019, 3:29pm
I don't think so, Mike. I haven't looked at the listing, but I think they're just the advertising network. I doubt they handle the money. My bet is that if you get scammed the best they can do is try to "mediate" then throw up their hands and say there's nothing they can do.

belbein
Mar-29-2019, 3:33pm
No, I'm wrong, it *is* paid thru W-M. Still think it's a scam. A cracker box and strings cost more than $30. Well, if W-M gets scammed, too bad for them. I'd advise people who want to take a charge on this to use a credit card so they have charge back rights.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-29-2019, 5:46pm
So, let me get this right. Musiciansfriend can sell the same mandolin for 49.00 after having their brand name put on it but some guy that bought something he thought he could sell but can't is a scam because he's dumping them and probably still making money. Nobody thinks this is going to be a high end instrument the same way nobody would buy a Rogue and expect to receive a high end instrument. If I don't get the mandolin Wal-Mart will give me my money back and if I do get it, and I think I will, I'm cutting it up anyway. I only need one part of it and I can't buy that as cheap any place else. Not a big risk here.

Jim Garber
Mar-29-2019, 9:54pm
I love the title of the listing...

Ejoyous IRIN Wooden Classic Mandolin 8 String Guitar with Carry Storage Bag, 8 String Mandolin, Wooden Mandolin

Bernie Daniel
Mar-30-2019, 7:18am
So, let me get this right. Musiciansfriend can sell the same mandolin for 49.00 after having their brand name put on it but some guy that bought something he thought he could sell but can't is a scam because he's dumping them and probably still making money. Nobody thinks this is going to be a high end instrument the same way nobody would buy a Rogue and expect to receive a high end instrument. If I don't get the mandolin Wal-Mart will give me my money back and if I do get it, and I think I will, I'm cutting it up anyway. I only need one part of it and I can't buy that as cheap any place else. Not a big risk here.

So you need a mandolin neck? But I wonder what kind of joint it is?

MikeEdgerton
Mar-30-2019, 8:39am
So you need a mandolin neck? But I wonder what kind of joint it is?

Good guess. It doesn't matter where it's going :cool:

I'll make it work either way.

Russ Donahue
Mar-30-2019, 8:44am
I love the title of the listing...

I do my best to achieve a state of ejoyous at least once a day...sometimes twice!

Russ Donahue
Mar-30-2019, 8:45am
This really is unfair. What is the phrase? Like shooting fish in a barrel?

EdHanrahan
Mar-30-2019, 11:15am
And don't forget...

Package List:
1 * Mandolin
1 * Mandolin Storage Bag
1 * String
3 * Picks
1 * Wipe

Bill McCall
Mar-30-2019, 11:36am
Hurry, only 1 left!

Jess L.
Mar-31-2019, 1:15am
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ejoyous-IRIN-Wooden-Classic-Mandolin-8-String-Guitar-with-Carry-Storage-Bag-8-String-Mandolin-Wooden-Mandolin/199431834?sourceid=dsn_fb_cb5b3ed4-92c9-4213-a1b8-4fec6556dcf6&veh=dsn&wmlspartner=dsn_fb_cb5b3ed4-92c9-4213-a1b8-4fec6556dcf6&fbclid=IwAR0NyVzKwv2F3BW6ee1IxOfUg9Llg7jlca3k5oj-VwszGspFykeBgCwVMzM

:grin: Another (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mandolin-8-String-Guitar-Hilitand-IRIN-Wooden-Classic-Mandolin-8-String-Guitar-with-Carry-Storage-Bag/653053097) Walmart seller's Irin mandolin page shows that you don't even need to actually *play* this mandolin in order to achieve total bliss and contentment, as shown by the following picture, one merely needs to be in the same vicinity as the mandolin for it to work its ethereal magic:

Apparently you can play them left handed and fingerpick behind the bridge!

:grin: :)) And no need to ever trim those fretting-hand fingernails either, this mandolin is magically playable even with long fingernails:

belbein
Mar-31-2019, 10:26am
So, let me get this right. ... is a scam

Why might an experienced consumer protection enforcement lawyer think it's a scam? (1) The price is ridiculous. (2) The picture is ridiculous. (3) It's not sold through legitimate music markets (the Cafe, Reverb, whatever). (4) There are no personal details about this seller anywhere: nothing on the "Wal-Mart" site, nothing on the Ejoyous Facebook site, (5) no text reviews posted anywhere but (6) the summary of reviews shows something less than 73% positive. In on-line selling, anything less than about 95% is iffy ... below 75% you're talking pure scam. And (7) even Wal-Mart and Harbor Freight don't rebrand it's cheap, mass-produced products with their company names. (I'd add (8) that since there's no contact information and the seller requires an RMA, there's probably no way to return anything he sells.)

But hey. It might be that single mandolin that Guarnari made and has been sitting in storage for 500 years, and the seller's an idiot. I mean, it's possible.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-31-2019, 11:40am
Why might an experienced consumer protection enforcement lawyer think it's a scam? (1) The price is ridiculous. (2) The picture is ridiculous. (3) It's not sold through legitimate music markets (the Cafe, Reverb, whatever). (4) There are no personal details about this seller anywhere: nothing on the "Wal-Mart" site, nothing on the Ejoyous Facebook site, (5) no text reviews posted anywhere but (6) the summary of reviews shows something less than 73% positive. In on-line selling, anything less than about 95% is iffy ... below 75% you're talking pure scam. And (7) even Wal-Mart and Harbor Freight don't rebrand it's cheap, mass-produced products with their company names. (I'd add (8) that since there's no contact information and the seller requires an RMA, there's probably no way to return anything he sells.)

But hey. It might be that single mandolin that Guarnari made and has been sitting in storage for 500 years, and the seller's an idiot. I mean, it's possible.

Some people shouldn't buy online. I'll trust Wal-Mart to give me my money back on a $30.00 mandolin if it has a problem. Everybody isn't out to scam the world and people sell things every day that they haven't got a clue about.

Ranald
Mar-31-2019, 11:57am
I don't think this is worth getting worked up about. We have here some amusing pictures from poorly thought-out ads for cheap mandolins. Personally, I'm getting a kick out of this thread, and hope some more silly photos turn up. Let's face it, at $30 for a musical instrument, it's buyer beware. However, Walmart is very good about returns -- I exchanged a lamp the other day, and the clerk didn't ask a single question -- so the mandolin is less risky than I'd expect at that price. There's a mandolin at my local second-hand shop that I could take away for $30 (or probably $10 at this point), but I won't buy it because it's essentially a toy, a souvenir of Mexico. If someone buys it for something other than a decoration, for only a few dollars, they'll learn an important lesson about being a consumer. Anyway, let's just enjoy the ad pictures and wording. Thanks to those who posted them

re simmers
Mar-31-2019, 1:58pm
Aren’t some of us paying more than $30 for a pick???
Bob

Paul Busman
Mar-31-2019, 5:29pm
That same image for that same ad has actually been here before. I'm tryng to remember if it was on eBay. It's always refreshing to see things like that though. I've always enjoyed this stock photo of someone that obviously has never really performed this task. For anyone unfamiliar with soldering, don't hold the iron that way.

Nobody would try to hold a soldering iron that way more than once,for sure.

darrylicshon
Mar-31-2019, 5:32pm
I have purchased many items at that unbelievable price. I have received the items a few times. Most of the time i get a refund. I would trust Wal-Mart to refund your money, since it's on there site. Can't wait to hear what happens

pops1
Mar-31-2019, 7:41pm
I've seen the ad with the girl on ebay, for a Irin mandolin. Bought one of these to setup and donate to a fund raiser for a folk festival. I know it's a cheap donation, but the setup will be worth more than the mandolin. Let you know when it comes.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-31-2019, 7:56pm
I knew I'd seen that ad before.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/142996-Upside-down-Irwin

Jess L.
Mar-31-2019, 8:00pm
... Walmart is very good about returns -- I exchanged a lamp the other day, and the clerk didn't ask a single question -- so the mandolin is less risky than I'd expect at that price. ...

Yes, but... it's my understanding that 3rd-party reseller ("Marketplace") items can *not* be returned to the nearest Walmart Customer Service counter, instead you have to ship the item back to the actual seller (not Walmart). It's worth noting that such Marketplace sellers have a DIFFERENT "Return Policy". Quote from Walmart website:

"Walmart Marketplace sellers have returns policies and fees that are different from Walmart.com items. ... Walmart Marketplace sellers cannot impose restocking fees greater than 20% of the item price. ... Walmart Marketplace sellers may not impose restocking fees for the following reasons:
Missing RMA instructions.
If a customer refuses delivery of their order."

Doesn't say anything about whether or not restocking fees are allowed for misrepresented items, alleged damaged or defective items, etc. As far as I know, Walmart itself never imposes restocking fees, so that's one important difference between buying directly from Walmart vs buying from one of their "Marketplace" sellers.

It also doesn't say who pays for the return shipping, when buying from 3rd-party resellers ("Marketplace sellers") on Walmart.com.

On the other hand, when buying an item that actually says "Shipped and sold by Walmart" (NOT a "Marketplace" seller), then it's like Ranald said - returns are super easy, :mandosmiley: and if for some reason you want to ship it back instead of taking it to the nearest Walmart customer-service counter, then Walmart pays the return shipping. At least that's been my experience.

---
(I know it's only $30, but if a person regularly buys a whole bunch of various $30 and sub-$30 items, it could add up if there was a problem.)

MikeEdgerton
Apr-01-2019, 12:24pm
I just got a tracking number from Wal-Mart. We'll see what's in the box when it arrives.

It's hard to misrepresent a mandolin of this caliber.

DaveGinNJ
Apr-01-2019, 1:57pm
Aren’t some of us paying more than $30 for a pick???
Bob

I believe that if you buy 3 or more Blue Chip picks they will throw in one of these mandolins for free

HappyPickin
Apr-01-2019, 3:55pm

I'll just drop this screenshot here for grins an giggles.

I wish my mandolin had winding pillows.

Louise NM
Apr-01-2019, 4:49pm
When the winding pillows are lined up that carefully, you just know it's absolutely in tune.175775

Jess L.
Apr-01-2019, 7:45pm

I'll just drop this screenshot here for grins an giggles.

I wish my mandolin had winding pillows.

When the winding pillows are lined up that carefully, you just know it's absolutely in tune.175775

Lol! :)) :)

Er, not to nitpick, :cool: but according to the pic, those perfectly-aligned thingies are the "Open Chord buttons" (see close-up below).

Whereas the "Winding pillow" appears to be the nut. That kind of makes sense when one thinks about it, a pillow for the strings to rest on after/while they're being wound up to playing tension.

And it looks like the "Piano tying" is probably the posts that the strings wrap around (some translator must have been thinking of the tuning pins inside a piano, where the piano strings attach to).

Contrast-enhanced close-up view:

One would presume that the "open chord buttons" are referring to open tuners (not enclosed tuners), rather than open chords. :)) Because, if the only thing the tuners can be used for is tuning to open chords, then does that mean that the player need not ever bother with fretting the instrument? :grin: ;)

Anyway... :)) :cool: ;) :)

MikeEdgerton
Apr-01-2019, 8:29pm
For anyone thinking buying into this scam you have until until Sat, Jul 6 to return it for your money back or a replacement. Wal-Mart shows the package as being at a carriers terminal in New Jersey (where I am) for delivery tomorrow. They did charge me tax. The total is 31.01.

Mark Gunter
Apr-01-2019, 9:09pm
It's hard to misrepresent a mandolin of this caliber.

:))

So true.

Cool that you're getting one of these, even though it's a sacrificial one. I'd buy into that "scam" for fun myself, but no room right now for an extra mandolin and no time to make something with parts from it.

Louise NM
Apr-01-2019, 11:59pm
JL277z, you may be right about winding pillows versus open chord buttons. But on this mandolin, what ever you call them, they're made by the same people who make Peeps. Shiny, almost glittery, sweet and pillowy. You could probably special order them in fluorescent pink or yellow.

Jeff Mando
Apr-02-2019, 12:35am
That peghead looks to be inspired by a snakehead.

mandolin tony
Apr-02-2019, 12:54am
an the wait is on, for the post from mike about his new $31.01 mandolin. please post pictures we can't wait.

DaveGinNJ
Apr-02-2019, 7:56am
For anyone thinking buying into this scam you have until until Sat, Jul 6 to return it for your money back or a replacement. Wal-Mart shows the package as being at a carriers terminal in New Jersey (where I am) for delivery tomorrow. They did charge me tax. The total is 31.01.

Definitely post a review. Interested what a $30 mandolin sounds like

pops1
Apr-02-2019, 9:12am
Mine is supposed to be here Friday, no tax.

Timbofood
Apr-02-2019, 10:10am
I’m ready to hear reviews!

Jeff Mando
Apr-02-2019, 10:30am
A brand new mandolin for $30 WITH SHIPPING?

Walmart has really "rolled back" prices!!! :grin:

MikeEdgerton
Apr-02-2019, 10:44am
Out for delivery. It should be there by the time I get home.

pops1
Apr-02-2019, 12:19pm
Let us know Mike, I am curious to know how much setup work I will have to do.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-02-2019, 12:24pm
I seriously doubt it will be setup. That's why God created Rob Meldrum :)

FedEx just delivered a box the size of a mandolin to my house.

Jim Garber
Apr-02-2019, 12:35pm
Out for delivery. It should be there by the time I get home.

Much heartfelt thanks to you, Mike, for your sacrifice for all of us. :)

JPS
Apr-02-2019, 12:58pm
:grin: Another (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mandolin-8-String-Guitar-Hilitand-IRIN-Wooden-Classic-Mandolin-8-String-Guitar-with-Carry-Storage-Bag/653053097) Walmart seller's Irin mandolin page shows that you don't even need to actually *play* this mandolin in order to achieve total bliss and contentment, as shown by the following picture, one merely needs to be in the same vicinity as the mandolin for it to work its ethereal magic:

I have one exactly like this, actually. Everybody's happier when I'm not playing it.

Jim Garber
Apr-02-2019, 1:03pm
Definitely post a review. Interested what a $30 mandolin sounds like

Probably, $20 less than a $50 mandolin (https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-rm-100a-a-style-mandolin).

DaveGinNJ
Apr-02-2019, 2:38pm
Probably, $20 less than a $50 mandolin (https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-rm-100a-a-style-mandolin).

I pulled out $20 dollars from my wallet and listened to it. I didn't hear anything

Jim Garber
Apr-02-2019, 3:01pm
I pulled out $20 dollars from my wallet and listened to it. I didn't hear anything

Wait! Send me that $20 and I can get a sound from it.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-02-2019, 3:21pm
There's this part of me that says I should put Waverly tuners, a James tailpiece, a Cumberland Acoustics bridge and a pearl nut on this thing.....

I can probably get over this. :cool:

Jim Garber
Apr-02-2019, 3:33pm
There's this part of me that says I should put Waverly tuners, a James tailpiece, a Cumberland Acoustics bridge and a pearl nut on this thing.....

I can probably get over this. :cool:

Yes, but you will also need an armrest, a fossil ivory saddle and a Tone-Gard. :)

MikeEdgerton
Apr-02-2019, 3:37pm
Yes, but you will also need an armrest, a fossil ivory saddle and a Tone-Gard. :)

Well yeah, and a Calton case.

Jim Garber
Apr-02-2019, 3:42pm
Well yeah, and a Calton case.

Perfect. Happy NMD, Mike. You are a role model for us. I remember the solid wood $199 mandolin and you had a number of acolytes who bought those.

Louise NM
Apr-02-2019, 4:33pm
It's shipped in a Calton isn't it?

mandolin tony
Apr-02-2019, 5:00pm
tick, tick, tick and we wait for Mike to get home. plus it's good to know why Rob has got a reason for being with us. thank you God.

vetus scotia
Apr-02-2019, 5:03pm

For those who are interested in what a $50 mandolin sounds like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr8IB5rQXps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr8IB5rQXps

Rob Meldrum
Apr-02-2019, 5:09pm
So that's why God put me on this earth. Wait 'til I tell my wife... :))

MikeEdgerton
Apr-02-2019, 5:32pm
OK, so this puppy has arrived, boxed well, shipped from a distribution center in New Jersey via FedEx. The box it arrived in was a clean Chinese labeled shipping box. Inside that box was the customary triangular (kind of) shaped box that musical instruments are shipped in. Inside that box was a decent little gig bag with backpack straps labeled Irin. There was also a set of Irin mandolin strings and a Irin branded cleaning cloth. I assumed wrongly that the mandolin would have to be strung up. Nope, the strings are on it and are wrapped in paper. The bridge is in place and on a quick examination looks pretty good. I tuned it up. The tuners are a little stiff. Brought it up to tune and it's playable. Could it benefit from a setup? Sure, most musical instruments could but it's pretty playable right out of the box. How does it sound? Pretty much like a Rogue because that's what it is. It's the same instrument only not labeled. It's well built for what it is, the finish is good. I would have no problem recommending this $29.00 Wal-Mart closeout mandolin to anyone looking for a cheap mandolin. I would also have no problem recommending a Rogue. It is what it is, a cheap instrument. If there were any more I'd consider buying them for gifts to kids. As much as some wanted this to be some sort of scam it isn't. One problem I do see, the tuners are an unusual spacing. There seems to be an added gap in the middle on both sides, a tuners change will not be a drop in fit. One final note, when I looked inside there were two cursive upper case L's penciled in on the underside of the soundboard. Yeah, that last one was a lie.

If you got one of these congratulations.

Ranald
Apr-02-2019, 6:09pm
Thanks, Mike.
But how does it sound when you play it like the woman does in the OP?
Are you going to buy the strings in this other thread and review them for us?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/144300-BAHHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!-Loop-end-you-say?p=1708527#post1708527

Merula
Apr-02-2019, 6:34pm
Walmart usually sell First Act. Turns out there is a First Act mandolin!!

https://www.amazon.com/First-Act-MG950-Mandolin/dp/B000EX3Y74/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

EEEEK!

MikeEdgerton
Apr-02-2019, 6:39pm
Thanks, Mike.
But how does it sound when you play it like the woman does in the OP?
Are you going to buy the strings in this other thread and review them for us?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/144300-BAHHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!-Loop-end-you-say?p=1708527#post1708527

Probably not, I have a few extra sets of D'Addario strings laying around. I had planned on cutting this up but I'm thinking it might make some new player happy. Still working that out in my mind.

Gary Leonard
Apr-02-2019, 9:03pm
Thanks for the review Mike!

Thanks for whoever posted this, now I will never be satisfied with any mandolin I try, I will be forever searching for one that sounds "ethereal, finely broken, clean. "

MikeEdgerton
Apr-03-2019, 6:51am
Wow, it looks like I could double, maybe triple my money on eBay!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=irin+mandolin&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=07731&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

belbein
Apr-03-2019, 7:30am
I'll be curious what you find when you open it up to harvest the neck. Please keep us updated.

Gary Leonard
Apr-03-2019, 4:44pm
Thanks to this thread, this ad has appeared on my browser start page:

It boggles the mind that somewhere, someone is paying for this advertising, some ad company is making money off it, and Microsoft is making money off the billboard it rents to the ad company. All in hopes that I click that ad and buy that 30$ mandolin, which apparently has been out of stock days before the ad appeared.

pops1
Apr-10-2019, 5:16pm
Well they sent my mandolin to the wrong address 4.5 hours away and delivered it. I got the email, but couldn't find the mandolin. Finally contacted Walmart and they tried to contact the sender with no success. Walmart refunded my money so guess this was more on the up & up than most thought.

kegcrowe
Apr-10-2019, 7:39pm
so guess this was more on the up & up than most thought.

mine arrived last week, but (tax season!) I have yet to open the box.

belbein
Apr-11-2019, 11:46am
So let's see : not a Walmart product; out of stock for days before it was ordered; Walmart couldn't contact the shipper... I was ***SO*** wrong.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-11-2019, 8:50pm
He got his money back right? Quite the scam don't you think?

belbein
Apr-11-2019, 9:18pm
I don't think you understand how scams work. The scamster didn't care if he got his money from you or from WalMart: he just wanted the money. And money he got. Anyone who thinks this was a victim-free crime, or that nobody lost money, doesn't know economics. The money that WalMart lost comes out of all of our pockets in terms of higher prices, higher insurance rates and less trust in internet sales.

Simon DS
Apr-12-2019, 4:57am
Walmart is the greatest!
I can't wait till christmas.
By that time these mandolins are going to be cheaper than firewood.

pops1
Apr-12-2019, 9:14am
Something tells me Walmart will have a way to recoup it's money.

vetus scotia
Apr-12-2019, 12:25pm
I am confused. Was Mike receiving his mandolin as ordered part of the scam? Was UPS in on it, and just reported delivery to an address so that pops1 would think there was a mandolin? Or does this scam involve actual mandolins being advertised and shipped. If so, it is too sophisticated for me to grasp. In fact, if there is a scam that involves real mandolins actually being delivered, then I have been a victim many, many times. The KM-950 I ordered online and received today could just be a scam too!

belbein
Apr-12-2019, 12:45pm
Max Ehrmann, 1927: "Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and rememeber what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly. And listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, for they too have their story."

Me: Out.

JPS
Apr-12-2019, 1:09pm
Goodness.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-13-2019, 6:51am
I don't think you understand how scams work. The scamster didn't care if he got his money from you or from WalMart: he just wanted the money. And money he got. Anyone who thinks this was a victim-free crime, or that nobody lost money, doesn't know economics. The money that WalMart lost comes out of all of our pockets in terms of higher prices, higher insurance rates and less trust in internet sales.

Yes, I do. So, they had 5 on a closeout deal. I paid my money, I got one. Others got them as well. Thus far one person didn't get theirs because it was shipped to the wrong address and Wal-Mart gave them their money back as it was, again, a close out item. It's not me that doesn't understand this process. The item shows up as an ad not because someone is scamming but because that's the way the Internet ad systems works. I do have the mandolin, I'm looking at it right now. He only listed 5 on Wal-Mart's platform. If it was a scam don't you think he'd be looking for more than 5? That's 150.00 bucks that Wal-Mart can probably claw back from him. You're an attorney, think this through. There isn't a boogy man behind every curtain.

Timbofood
Apr-13-2019, 7:28am
My granddaughter has a saying:
“I’m not paranoid, just rationally worried!”

Just sounds like a very limited number as you say Mike. Gee, are we maybe getting a bit overzealous as far as scams go?
Since I’m not buying, I’m not worried though.

pops1
Apr-13-2019, 8:43am
I received notification from my credit card company days ago the money has been refunded.

Clinton Johnson
Apr-14-2019, 12:33pm
So I was recently thinking on ordering a cheap mando for kids to learn on and remembered something about a Walmart clearance on the cafe and see that the sale is way past over with lol. So I was looking at this thing pictured in the link. Would that be as good as a rogue per say? Thoughts on this would be appreciated
http://allcamarket.com/products/a-type-beech-electric-box-acoustic-electric-mandolin-piano-8-string-guitar-musical-stringed-instruments-lover-gift?variant=26450266783808&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping

Jim Garber
Apr-14-2019, 12:43pm
I love the description:

Beginner, Unisex, Professional Performance, Home-schooling capable acoustic-electric 8-string mandolin

Bill McCall
Apr-14-2019, 12:49pm
And free shipping! How could I refuse?

We shall see what we shall see��

michaelpthompson
Apr-24-2019, 1:00pm
If this IS made by Rogue, or the same people, don't dismiss it out of hand. I have a Rogue myself, and it's jangly, but works for Irish sessions where I play. I paid $39 for it, including a gig bag and two instruction books. I had it set up by a professional luthier ($100 and well worth it), and he was astounded at the price. Didn't know how they could even obtain the materials for that kind of money. But with a good setup, it's a passable instrument. Excellent for travel and gigs and such.

belbein
Apr-24-2019, 2:42pm
I have a no-name mandolin that I bought for about that price, but used. It's so cheap that the peghead name is stenciled on. With my set up (thanks to Ron Meldrum), it sounds pretty damn good ... for camping, beach, office. But I did have the "opportunity" to fix the neck once, when the instrument fell over on carpet and the neck popped off. It seems that the single drywall screw holding the neck on had fallen out. Apparently glue was too expensive that day. My reactino to this instrument was to the marketing, not to the instrument. I'm looing forward to our moderator's report on what he finds when he takes it apart to harvest the neck.

Jeff Mando
Apr-24-2019, 2:48pm
Hard to believe a drywall screw would fail -- they are fairly robust! :))

belbein
Apr-24-2019, 7:03pm
Jeff: I have used drywall screws for damn near everything I do where I'm relying primarily on the glue joint and just need to pull the pieces together. And I've done this since I built my boat. They're miracle devices, but fragile as heck. They break and sheer off, not to mention getting easily stripped. TO ME the surprising thing was that whoever built this POS in SE Asia had drywall screws to use at all.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-24-2019, 9:46pm
Dry wall screws are pretty brittle, I agree. Deck screws are similar and more robust.

Charlie Bernstein
Apr-24-2019, 11:03pm
Apparently you can play them left handed and fingerpick behind the bridge!

Just as bad: I just saw a beginners' guitar book in a bookstore with a picture of someone wearing fingerpicks - backwards, covering the nails.

DaveGinNJ
Apr-25-2019, 7:42am
Jeff: I have used drywall screws for damn near everything I do where I'm relying primarily on the glue joint and just need to pull the pieces together. And I've done this since I built my boat. They're miracle devices, but fragile as heck. They break and sheer off, not to mention getting easily stripped. TO ME the surprising thing was that whoever built this POS in SE Asia had drywall screws to use at all.

I assume they use a drywall screw for speed. No drilling required. For an instrument of this caliber, no expense is spared

MikeEdgerton
Apr-25-2019, 12:56pm
I assume they use a drywall screw for speed. No drilling required. For an instrument of this caliber, no expense is spared

Well that and they are cheap. :)