PDA

View Full Version : Morris Flattop on the way

gwhamil
Mar-23-2019, 4:02pm
All,

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a couple of months. I stumbled onto the Mandolin by accident. I have been playing 5 string banjo for a couple of years. Last year, I learned that my Grandpa used to play the banjo and that my cousin, whom I have not seen in about 20 years, had Grandpa's old banjo and mandolin. I contacted my cousin and asked him to send me some pictures. He did better than that, he sent me the banjo and the mandolin. The banjo is a beautiful 1926 Bacon and Day Silver Bell tenor. The mandolin is a no name (probably from the 70's) laminated mandolin with neck and tuner issues. I was mainly interested in the banjo, but strung up the mandolin anyway. Surprisingly to me, I fell in love with the sound of the mandolin. The only problem was that due to extremely high action that can't be fixed without paying much more than the instrument is worth the strings were killing my fingers. I am mainly interested in playing classical, old time, folk, etc. Not really interested in playing bluegrass, so after a lot of research in the forums, I pulled the trigger today on a red sunburst Morris 'A' style oval hole flattop. It is still listed in the classifieds if you want to see a picture of it. The decision came down to either a Big Muddy or a Morris. I went with the Morris because I like the looks of it a little better, and because it was a little less expensive. It should arrive sometime next week. I haven't been this excited since I was a little kid. I would like to thank all of you. Your post over many years concerning Morris mandolins were instrumental (pun intended :)) in helping me make my decision.

spufman
Mar-23-2019, 4:56pm
Awesome! The Morris will be a joy to play and hear, no doubt.

Bob Clark
Mar-23-2019, 6:41pm
Hi Gwhamil,

Welcome to the Café and thanks for the cool story. I think you've made a great choice for your 1st instrument. I am a real fan of flat-tops. They represent great value for the money. Plus, Mr. Morris' mandolins have a really good reputation.

The best part is, when MAS kicks in (almost inevitable) and you get a hankerin' for a more pricey mandolin, you will want to keep the flat top, too. These have a decidedly different voice than the arched tops most people ultimately want. A cheap arched top might not be that desirable as a second mandolin, but a good flat top like this one, plus a decent arch top, will give you a really nice choice of voices to play depending on your mood, the genre or the venue. As I said, I think you've made a great choice.

Welcome, and have fun!

kegcrowe
Mar-23-2019, 7:14pm
Congrats, gwhamil! I just bought a Morris flattop myself, it was in the classified with yours and some others, so I know exactly which one you got. LOVELY! Mine arrived last Wednesday and it's sitting here beside me as I write. I also considered a big muddy, but I'm very happy with my decision. Enjoy your beautiful mandolin.

Frankdolin
Mar-24-2019, 6:43am
Congrats!!! I love mine and you'll love yours.:mandosmiley:

lflngpicker
Mar-24-2019, 10:16am
Morris mandolins are quality domestic instruments and they play wonderfully! Howard is a tremendous guy and really knows his craft. Congrats!

Br1ck
Mar-24-2019, 11:19am
Bluegrass. Never say never.

gwhamil
Mar-24-2019, 11:39am
Thanks for all your replies and the warm welcome. I shouldn't really say I am not interested in bluegrass. I do play the 5 strong banjo after all. What I should have said is that I mostly play alone at home and am mostly interested in playing melody. I am not really interested, at this time, in a mandolin with a classic bluegrass chop or bark, or volume. Actually, according to my wife, the less volume the better. However, I do play a few bluegrass songs like old Joe Clark, and Arkansas traveler. I also play things like Moon river and The sound of silence. Also starting to learn classical mandolin on the artistworks site.

Can't wait to receive my new mandolin.

lflngpicker
Mar-24-2019, 4:30pm
gwhamil, I am so glad you have shared your thoughts on the types of music you play. Your banjo background will give you such strength as your mandolin skills build. I am using MandoLessons to build my repertoire and build picking and left hand skills, as well. The folk catalog of various fiddle tunes is really enjoyable. I have also been learning some of the most popular classical pieces, too, and I particularly have been enjoying the Bach's Cello suite No.1 Prelude in G - Major. Howard's mandolins are known for ease of play and a big open tone that sounds woody and organic.

Doug Brock
Mar-24-2019, 10:44pm
I particularly have been enjoying the Bach's Cello suite No.1 Prelude in G - Major.
Are you playing that on a regular mandolin or on a lower-voiced sibling?

lflngpicker
Mar-25-2019, 11:10am
Are you playing that on a regular mandolin or on a lower-voiced sibling?

Hi Doug, On a regular mandolin. Have you tried this piece, too, Doug?

Caleb
Mar-25-2019, 11:40am
gwhamil, I am so glad you have shared your thoughts on the types of music you play. Your banjo background will give you such strength as your mandolin skills build. I am using MandoLessons to build my repertoire and build picking and left hand skills, as well. The folk catalog of various fiddle tunes is really enjoyable. I have also been learning some of the most popular classical pieces, too, and I particularly have been enjoying the Bach's Cello suite No.1 Prelude in G - Major. Howard's mandolins are known for ease of play and a big open tone that sounds woody and organic.

Bach? Ambition! Much respect! I can't yet get O'Carolan's Concerto under my fingers (after years!), so I'm not ready for Bach.

Doug Brock
Mar-25-2019, 12:07pm
Hi Doug, On a regular mandolin. Have you tried this piece, too, Doug?

No, I haven't tried any classical on mandolin but I do like that piece. I was wondering how you handled the notes below G if you were using a standard mandolin.

lflngpicker
Mar-25-2019, 3:54pm
Doug, It is pitched up an octave, or two actually, so it is all manageable. There is no open G, so nothing lower than a fretted note on the G courses. I will include a link to tab that I have used, though I wouldn't shy away from the standard notation, necessarily.
Caleb, no doubt you can handle this one if I can. :)
https://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/bach.txt

gwhamil
Mar-25-2019, 4:42pm
Doug, It is pitched up an octave, or two actually, so it is all manageable. There is no open G, so nothing lower than a fretted note on the G courses. I will include a link to tab that I have used, though I wouldn't shy away from the standard notation necessarily.
Caleb, no doubt you can handle this one if I can. :)
https://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/bach.txt

Thanks for posting the tab. I have always enjoyed that piece and am going to give it a try. On a side note: I received my tracking info today and my Mandolin should arrive on Wednesday. Howard doesn't mess around when it comes to shipping. :)

Doug Brock
Mar-25-2019, 6:08pm
Doug, It is pitched up an octave, or two actually, so it is all manageable. There is no open G, so nothing lower than a fretted note on the G courses. I will include a link to tab that I have used, though I wouldn't shy away from the standard notation, necessarily.
[/URL]
Ah, I didn’t think of TAB- I was looking at the music for cello!