PDA

View Full Version : Harmony Oddity

shaggist
Mar-15-2019, 12:41pm
I have a 1960s Harmony H1201TG that has an odd label inside. It says PRODUCE EN SPANIA. Does anyone know anything about this? I can't get a picture to post on this site, but I can send it to you via email.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-15-2019, 12:47pm
Does it look like the one in the pictures on this (http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=25) site?

Pictures would indeed be best, have you got any of the entire guitar as well?

shaggist
Mar-15-2019, 12:51pm
I have about 20 pictures of the guitar. There is no question of the guitar model, only of the label. For some unknown reason, this site won't let me upload an image or an attachment, so I can't post a picture here.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-15-2019, 1:01pm
You have mail.

I suspect that someone might have labeled that instrument as it is they could carry it into Spain without paying the tax and duty as in someone comes to the US on vacation and buys the guitar, applies the label and goes home and tells the customs officer they took it with them on the trip. That's just a thought. I've never seen any Harmony with a connection to that country. I'll post the pictures when you send them to me.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-15-2019, 1:06pm
The instrument in question. I think someone added the label for whatever reason. I'm reasonably sure that guitar was made in Chicago. The other side of this is if it was produced in Spain to be sold in the US that label would be in English.

mrmando
Mar-15-2019, 1:48pm
One problem is that "produce en Spania" isn't Spanish. Plug that phrase into Google Translate and the closest language match is Romanian.

The correct Spanish phrase would be "Producido en Espaņa."

MikeEdgerton
Mar-15-2019, 1:55pm
That's pretty funny, when I plugged it into Google the first listing was for "Produce of Spain". I just did the search in quotations and it came up with this (https://picclick.com/Vintage-Acoustic-Harmony-Tenor-Guitar-with-Case-DeArmond-202575304797.html). I think someone pulled a label from something that they found attractive and stuck it inside. I'm sure it didn't come from the factory that way.

OneChordTrick
Mar-15-2019, 1:56pm
Spain in Spanish is “Espaņa” and I’m not sure what language Spania is from. Looks like possible made for a tourist who wouldn’t necessarily understand the Spanish.

shaggist
Mar-15-2019, 1:59pm
And since PRODUCE EN SPANIA isn't any recognizable modern language, who made the label, put it in there, and why.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-15-2019, 2:01pm
It's a historical location.

Spania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spania)

We are taking it for a country not a region of a country.

Spania is also the Norwegian and Romanian name for the country of Spain.

shaggist
Mar-15-2019, 2:04pm
And the burning question of the day is---how do I remove it without damaging the guitar or the pickup?

MikeEdgerton
Mar-15-2019, 2:07pm
People have put odd stickers and labels on things for generations. Perhaps the person had a particular interest in a region or simply liked the label. It indicates that the instrument was built somewhere other than Chicago and I'll pretty much guarantee that one was built in Chicago. I may start doing this with my instruments so that people like us can discuss them in the future. Somebody added it, you'll probably never know why.

OneChordTrick
Mar-15-2019, 2:08pm
But not really recognised since the 7th Century. I know Harmony are long established but... :) I suggest that it’s a “vanity” label of some some sort made by someone who didn’t understand Spanish.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-15-2019, 2:09pm
I would heat it gently with a hair dryer (not overly hot) and hope they used a glue with a low melt point.You could also try placing a damp paper towel folded to a dimension smaller than the label and see if you can lift it off.

Charles E.
Mar-15-2019, 2:19pm
That pickup is worth as much as the guitar.

shaggist
Mar-15-2019, 3:16pm
The problem is that the pickup narrows the sound hole so that a hair dryer won't fit. And I don't want to try to remove the pickup because it might scratch the guitar, which doesn't have any scratches. What to do, what to do!

Harley Marty
Mar-16-2019, 3:56am
Where's Red Addair when you need him:mandosmiley:

shaggist
Mar-16-2019, 5:40am
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I'll leave it as it is and let the next owner worry about it.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-16-2019, 6:06am
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I'll leave it as it is and let the next owner worry about it.

And when they Google "Harmony PRODUCE EN SPANIA" they will come right to this thread! :cool:

Jim Garber
Mar-16-2019, 10:11pm
Hah! I am sorry I missed this thread. Esta etiqueta en esta guitarra es mierda de toro total.