PDA

View Full Version : Favourite overdrive?

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-14-2019, 3:31am
Hello all,

I'm thinking my 30 year old Boss SD-1 (SuperOverdrive) is, well, a bit too super for my needs these days. Looking for a replacement that will allow me to hear the break-up rather than jump straight to overdriven.

What are your favourites?

Thanks!
Daniel

colorado_al
Mar-14-2019, 4:08am
Ibanez Tube Screamer or Maxon OD-9

AMandolin
Mar-14-2019, 6:58am
I use a Fulltone Full-Drive 3. It’s the best overdrive I’ve ever used.

CES
Mar-14-2019, 7:03am
Have a Red Dirt Road that I like...i’ll Admit I don’t have a lot to personally compare to, but it can go from just barely crunchy to screaming, and offers nice tone control as well. A little pricey in pedal land, but not ridiculously so.

bbcee
Mar-14-2019, 7:10am
If you're into pedal building the Aion Electronics Nimbus, based on the Maxon OD-820, is super cool.

I really like the BJF Honeybee circuit too - it's more like a Supro than the classic TS-based circuits, and lower gain.

spufman
Mar-14-2019, 7:14am
My two favorites are the HAO Sole Pressure for light, and the Smallsound/Bigsound Mini for heavier.

Tom Wright
Mar-14-2019, 7:25am
Maxon OD9, or the AnalogMan King of Tone. The last can be dialed down to pure boost, no overdrive, and it has two sides for different settings. Probably a waiting list, tho.

vwfye
Mar-14-2019, 3:23pm
Mooer Regal Tone is awesome!

Dave Sheets
Mar-14-2019, 6:08pm
EHX Soul Food- kinda, sorta like a Klon.

illinoisfiddler
Mar-14-2019, 7:15pm
Favorite overdrive that I have used to date is the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive.

j. condino
Mar-14-2019, 10:43pm
Nice, I've never talked about overdrive pedals on the mandolincafe....

Voodoo Sparkle Drives have two channels, so you get a clean and the overdrive side that you can blend. That gives you a very wide range for the low to mid range of overdrive. If you want to go more, stack it with a tube screamer in front and you get into serious overdrive with quite an edge to it....

I've also found that the Sparkle Drive is one of the few overdrives that I can use with a peizo pickup like a K&K.

Dave Greenspoon
Mar-15-2019, 1:08am
DOD 250 Overdrive Preamp. I have the reissue. It and the MXR Distortion + came out around the same time, based on a circuit from TI. Two knobs, great sound, super KISS easy to use. I also have the Digitech Hardwire CM-2, a tube screamer style OD. The DOD 250 is my clear preference. The knobs are really interactive. You can set it for a sweet, light crunch or make it more like Yngwie did when he was rocking his...before DOD came out with the DOD YJM308. You simply cannot go wrong with this pedal.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-15-2019, 5:55am
This is brilliant! Thank you very much all!

Daniel

Verne Andru
Mar-18-2019, 12:55pm
I've tried a lot but have settled on the Vox Satchurator. Goes from nothing to in-your-face-metal. Tone knob is particularly useful.

Greg P. Stone
Mar-18-2019, 1:52pm
I have a modded TS-9, for a long time it was my only pedal. The I got into a local builder, VFE, and over time picked up a variety of Peter's overdrive pedals based on DS-1, Klon, TS-808, etc. Then I got a clone Fender Tweed Deluxe and stopped using them altogether except for the VFE Mermaid Klon variant so I guess that's my favorite. It's going to be fun to go through all the combos when I get my four string electric mandolin.

David Lewis
Mar-18-2019, 6:15pm
I use a variety of overdrives and distortions. My favourite is the Boss BD-2. It can be a boost, or it can almost get to fuzz. I also think if you wind back the gain on a Boss DS-1, you get a lovely overdrive.

I note Sheets liked the EHX Soul Food. So do I. I use it for my JBovier solidbody - it colours rather than surrounds the sound.

What instrument and amp are you using?

illinoisfiddler
Mar-18-2019, 8:49pm
Nice, I've never talked about overdrive pedals on the mandolincafe....

Voodoo Sparkle Drives have two channels, so you get a clean and the overdrive side that you can blend. That gives you a very wide range for the low to mid range of overdrive. If you want to go more, stack it with a tube screamer in front and you get into serious overdrive with quite an edge to it....

I've also found that the Sparkle Drive is one of the few overdrives that I can use with a peizo pickup like a K&K.

Same here.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-19-2019, 5:02am
What instrument and amp are you using?

Covered in other threads, but briefly:
JBovier EMC-5 and an Arrow (Paul Lestock) G5 5 string with a Ken Armstrong pickup.
Into an Origin Effects SlideRig, Boss SD-1 overdrive, and Boss BF-3 flanger.
A pair of small Marshall practice amps.

Thanks again all for the input! I'm looking for places in northern France that carry this stuff so I can go play it! So far Reims is a bust. Laon has no music shops. Trying Saint Quentin next!

Daniel

Dave Sheets
Mar-19-2019, 8:55am
I typically use a mild overdrive (EHX Soul Food) and a heavier distortion (a modified Boss BD), which gives three levels of distortion available- much like the way the two channels on the Voodoo Sparkle drive can be used. I like having this range of color available. If you haven't tried a compressor, a simple one in front of the overdrive or distortion can really make a big difference. The Behringer compressor isn't bad and is dirt cheap if you simply want to try one. The Pigtronix compressors (the Philosopher series) are really nice.

Do have fun!

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-19-2019, 12:01pm
I typically use a mild overdrive (EHX Soul Food) and a heavier distortion (a modified Boss BD), which gives three levels of distortion available- much like the way the two channels on the Voodoo Sparkle drive can be used. I like having this range of color available. If you haven't tried a compressor, a simple one in front of the overdrive or distortion can really make a big difference. The Behringer compressor isn't bad and is dirt cheap if you simply want to try one. The Pigtronix compressors (the Philosopher series) are really nice.

Do have fun!

Thanks Dave! The SlideRig is a pair of compressor limiter amps in series. It provides a lot of sustain and boost. It (or they really) have a marked effect on the type of output the SD-1 has. Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_BYK16MqnA

RichardF
Mar-24-2019, 2:41am
I would like a bit of overdrive for lead on the 10 string but I hate the hiss most of the pedals cause. My Line 6 could provide it without hiss on the Fender Tweed simulation but on the lightweight ZT I use, for weight and fewer journeys to the car, any drive pedal causes hiss. At the moment, don't laugh, I use a Donner multi fx with delay, chorus and reverb with no hiss. Suggestions please?

OneChordTrick
Mar-24-2019, 6:18am
I’ve got a Donner Blues Overdrive that creates a nice effect, not full on distortion and doesn’t caus hiss. But if any pedal is causing hiss that would suggest that perhaps there’s a problem with something else in the chain?

MoreThanQuinn
Mar-24-2019, 8:03am
I love Vick Audio's Tree of Life pedal.

And I love Vick Audio in general. Really solid, small US-based company (maybe all built by one guy?). Everything I've used and heard from them is top notch. Plenty of demos on youtube!

EDIT: Also, hello from the Dordogne

Verne Andru
Mar-24-2019, 10:36am
Cheap opamps cause hiss.

RichardF
Mar-25-2019, 12:40pm
What is an opamp?

RichardF
Mar-25-2019, 12:41pm
No. Funnily enough I thought of a weak link in the chain, so I tried just a battery powered Boss SD1 on it's own with good cables and hiss was evident.

Verne Andru
Mar-25-2019, 1:45pm
What is an opamp?

An operational amplifier is a solid state chip used in many devices in lieu of things like transistors and tubes for amplification stages. While there are many areas in the signal chain that can introduce noise, the cheaper opamps are usually the primary culprit in things like pedals. The more expensive Excalibur's all but eliminate hiss, but that comes at a price in terms of higher cost and power consumption, which will cause the device to eat batteries faster.

If you are running noisy pedals into solid-state amps that also use cheap opamps, the hiss is compounded throughout the signal chain.

Poor cabling is also a big problem as can be bad AC caused by poor wiring in the building.

RichardF
Mar-26-2019, 1:16am
Thanks for this Verne.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-26-2019, 3:47am
What is an opamp?

Not sure I can explain it...

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/electrical-engineering/ee-amplifiers/ee-opamp/v/ee-opamp-intro

Daniel

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-26-2019, 3:52am
Poor cabling is also a big problem as can be bad AC caused by poor wiring in the building.

This is why touring pros use power conditioners, and why I am tempted to get one. Power in a room can be over loaded, poorly supplied, or badly wired.

Daniel