PDA

View Full Version : Banjo mandolin? Inlay detail on back, neck and around base

Funattic2828
Mar-10-2019, 10:34am
My husband grand father received this from someone that owed him money. Want to know if it’s called a banjo mandolin. Markings state SS Stewart, at the bottom fret is printed France. Need to know as much as possible. Wood type? Shaped head stock? Love to know as much history if possible! It’s has inlay on back with many instruments with looks like birds eye maple, around the drum inlay and up the back of the neck inlay. The neck curves over. How do I send pics.175293175294175295175296175297175298175299

AMandolin
Mar-10-2019, 10:52am
Where you posted, top right side box, 3rd from the left is a picture icon. Click that and follow, it will ask to choose location of you’re pictures.

AMandolin
Mar-10-2019, 10:55am
Then hit upload file

Funattic2828
Mar-10-2019, 11:20am
thank you that sure helped.. added pic now of this gorgeous instrument but also a work of art

Ray(T)
Mar-10-2019, 1:06pm
Definitely European but I never think of France in connection with banjo mandolins (or mandolin banjos). I’m no expert but isn’t that burr-walnut rather than birds eye maple?

allenhopkins
Mar-10-2019, 1:41pm
Does look French; their banjos often had elaborate inlay or marquetry work on their resonators. Check out the French inlay/marquetry work shown here. (http://www.banjoworld.de/High242a.htm) The slotted headstock, shaped with a "shield" at the top, is another indicator of continental European origin.

Where do the "markings" state "S S Stewart?" Stewart was a major US banjo firm in Philadelphia, started around 1878, producing banjos by Stewart and his successors (he died in 1898) until maybe 1910. The "S S Stewart" brand then passed on to over manufacturers and distributors, like Bugeleisen & Jacobson (B & J) who put the label on banjos and other instruments from a variety of sources. Quite possibly they, or another distributor, could have labeled a French import "S S Stewart."

Early 20th century, probably French origin, marked "Stewart" to be distributed and sold in the US -- that'd be my guess. Nice looking, with figured veneers and marquetry, and in decent shape. No particularly great market value, in today's terms, more of a curiosity than an on-demand player.

Funattic2828
Mar-11-2019, 6:20am
At the tip of the curbed neck it had the little plate. The plate sure didn’t look like what I’ve seen from other instruments online. It almost looked like a y at the end because it curved. I’ll have my husband tonight held get a pic of that. It barely fits on the curved neck. Thanks so much for your help! Appreciate your knowledge

Funattic2828
Mar-11-2019, 6:27am
Your probably correct. It’s birds eye of some type of wood. We do work with wood in certain projects but no experience with specialty woods for instruments. Just trying to help him get answers sooner than ..his timing. Thanks for your help! Knowledge is everything. His grandfather used to call square dances in Plymouth mi and zephyrhills fl