PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone provide infomration on a Mandolin I have aquired?

4Ratcd97
Feb-15-2019, 3:14am
Hi everyone.

I am new here, I have just acquired a Mandolin and having never played one before (although I have played guitar for 20 years) I know nothing about it (age brand etc). The guy I bought this from said he has owned it for 60 years and never played it but it was played by a family member before him for around 40 ish years/but could be longer (the guy was an old boy who was just clearing out some old items?? I didn't pay too much and this and isn't about me trying to make a quick buck as I intend to learn on it. I have what looks like an original case.

I have tried to do my own research but there's no visible serial number and no brand. Any help on age etc would be great!

Thanks

Dan

Ray(T)
Feb-15-2019, 5:40am
Looks home built to me possibly between the 1930s and 1950s. I doubt whether anyone will be likely to tell you more.

NickR
Feb-15-2019, 7:03am
The tuners a re German and it has a zero fret, which is common to European makers. It was most likely made in Germany or Czechoslovakia. The back extending over the heel is a typical Italian feature. It could be made in other central European nations- Romania or somewhere in what was then Yugoslavia or Bulgaria. I would tend to favour Romania or Bulgaria with German hardware- 1930s.

multidon
Feb-15-2019, 7:39am
In my opinion this is not German, Czech, or Eastern European. Those almost always have slotted headstocks and fancier, much larger, inlaid pickguards. The top has inlaid purfling much like a violin. I am leaning toward a home build, maybe US by someone with some European training. The tuners being German is not that much of a clue, they would have been an easily available over the counter item.

NickR
Feb-15-2019, 8:22am
Here is a Bulgarian mandolin. I agree that many aspects suggest homemade but they also suggest simple workshop small scale production as opposed to big factory. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Bulgarian-Mandolin-5-Strings-/273470352742

Here is a tiny photo of another: 174874

allenhopkins
Feb-15-2019, 3:47pm
I'd mostly agree with Don except for the zero fret. That really looks European to me.

multidon
Feb-16-2019, 7:53am
If the zero fret says European, maybe from somewhere in Europe that’s not the usual Germany/Eastern European suspects? I find the violin style inlaid purfling unusual. Maybe someplace with a violin making tradition? Italy? Or again, like I said before, a homebuild in the USA, but built by a European immigrant with some Old Country training?

tonydxn
Feb-17-2019, 7:13am
Wouldn't be surprised if it was French. The mandolin never caught on in France like it did in Italy and Germany, so many French mandolins were made by people who were primarily violin builders. So they often have that violin-style purfling. Also, (unlike German and Italian instruments) they often have heads that taper in towards the top, like a snakehead. Here is a photo of a French mandolin which I have just refurbished - it has both of those characteristics.
The oak back of your mandolin is unusual - a wood used only rarely by commercial makers, so possibly made by an amateur.