PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Picks in the UK

Gaelen
Jul-31-2005, 12:17pm
Could anyone out there tell me where I can buy Mandolin Picks in the United Kingdom ?

I have been playing mandolin (Gibson 1936 A1) for about two years now (guitar for about 20 !) and I am at the moment using Wegen M150's but I would like to try some Dawg picks or similar as most pros seem to recommend that sort of style and weight of pick.

I use EXP 75 strings.

On Guitar I either use Clayton small 1.52mm or the Wegen Bluegrass picks but I find them useless for mandolin.

PS I am not over my depression about missing the tickets for AKUS at my local venue !!!!!!

Mando4Life
Jul-31-2005, 1:39pm
Gaelen,

PM me your address if you want and I'll drop you a Dawg and a Golden Gate in the mail.

It may take a while to get to you; I'm in the US.

Let me know. They are just gathering dust here at home.

WBL

grandmainger
Jul-31-2005, 2:32pm
I rend to order picks from the same places I buy mandop accessories from... I wouldn't order a pick on its own, but if I'm ordering a strap, string, tuner, case, etc, I usually add a couple of picks o the order.

Martin Jonas
Aug-01-2005, 5:08am
Picks are such small items that you're probably better off ordering the more obscure ones from the US. There's nothing to say that you can't use guitar picks -- lots of people do (including pros). The only thing is that many guitarists use very thin picks, which tend not to work on mandolins. Getting guitar picks in the UK isn't a problem (as no doubt you know). I haven't been able to find a UK mail order place that has a decent stock in picks that are specifically labelled "mandolin pick", so if you want to try those, maybe an order from Elderly is the best option. If you go for a wide selection, you have a better chance of finding your personal ideal choice and they're cheap enough that it won't break the bank.

Martin

grandmainger
Aug-01-2005, 5:27am
And of course, you should buy this: jazzmando pick sampler (http://jazzmando.com/jazzmando_pick_sampler.shtml). Ted will ship to the UK, but you have to pay for shipping. Superb value even with an added $7 for USPS.

Ray(T)
Aug-01-2005, 12:21pm
Commiserations about missing AKUS - I did exactly the same for the Bridgewater Hall gig in Manchester which was sold out within days.

To be honest, I've used Jim Dunlop nylon picks on guitar and mandolin for many years - am I missing something?

mancmando
Aug-02-2005, 7:14am
There is a guy who lives in Scarborough who makes tortiose shell picks out of old jewelry cases etc and sells them for about £10. If you are interested I could look out his phone number (although you would need to see him, they come in all different shapes and sizes)? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

mancmando
Aug-02-2005, 7:24am
Ray(T) - I also missed out on AKUS at Manchester http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Pretty annoying that the majority of people at those gigs would be people who are probably not into bluegrass type music but listen to the country charts...

I did see NC at the lowry a couple of years ago though which was good...

Are you from Manchester?? If so and you want a pick sometime let me know.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

jmpullen
Aug-02-2005, 8:44am
Hey Mancmando, would you send me his phone # ?
I would appreciate it -- my email address is
jmpullen@bellsouth.net Thanks, Jim Pullen.

LouisianaGrey
Aug-02-2005, 11:44am
Try Dave Bresnan at Frets - Telephone: 0151-474 6343
Address: 294 Longmoor Lane, Liverpool, L9 9BZ

Dave is the chairman of the British Bluegrass Music Association. He usually has Golden Gates in stock, that's where I get mine.

Ray(T)
Aug-02-2005, 12:56pm
hi Mancmando - not from Manchester but from Chapel-en-le-Frith about 20 miles further South. I saw NC in Sheffield and Leeds a couple of years ago - I believe they've given up bluegrass since then. Ray

mancmando
Aug-04-2005, 6:31am
Hi Ray (T) - yes, know where chaple en le frith is, do you get down to the monthly bluegrass pick in whalley bridge? (haven't made it down yet but keep threatening to go) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

LouisianaGrey
Aug-04-2005, 3:28pm
Apparently they're going to release another tranche of AKUS Manchester tickets next week. Wouldn't you think they'd sell them all at once?

Ray(T)
Aug-04-2005, 4:25pm
Hi manacmando - Whaley Bridge is only just down the road but sitting in a pub on Sunday afternoon isn't something thats on my agenda. I'm off to Northumberland first ting tomorrow so I'll be off line for a week or so. Interesting to hear about the AKUS tickets - pity I'll be away.

Ray(T)
Aug-04-2005, 4:35pm
Just checked the Bridgewater Hall website - no tickets available but there is a note that "choir seats" go on sale for some concerts one month beforehand so perhaps it will be these which go on sale next week (on the 10th) - don't know what it will be like watching Jerry Douglas from the behind - could be quite frustrating!!

Gaelen
Aug-10-2005, 4:42am
Greetings
really nice to see so many replies, thank you all for your offers and advice (note, no one offering AKUS tickets for Gateshead ! I bet some dog has bought loads to put on EBay)

Good news is I have a Kate Rusby ticket.

I wish she would tour with Tim O'Brien over here (UK)

Since posting I have aquired a Tortem and a couple of Dawgs from Elderly and a Dunlop 207.

Maybe its because I have been using them for 2 years I still prefer my Wegen M150 as an allrounder.

I find the Tortem and Dawg better for strumming but difficult to tremelo and for single notes.

Yet to give the 207 a proper go.

I have seen some Ivoriod plecs on Gregg Boyd's site which I may give I try as its not too expensive ordering a couple of plecs from the US.

Ray(T)
Aug-10-2005, 9:11am
Tried the Bridgewater Hall this morning (as its exactly a month before the AKUS gig) they knew nothong about another tranche of tickets - where did you get the infor Louisianagrey?

Hope you won't be jealous but I saw Kate Rusby with Tim O'brien in Sheffield a while ago. The second time he played there I wasn't so impressed. They had flown in from Ireland that day after what appreared to be a heavy "night before" and it appeared to me that they couldn't wait to get off stage. Don't know what has happened to the series of Sheffield gigs at the City Memorial Hall, they seem to have dried up.

Gaelen
Aug-13-2005, 6:30am
I was lucky enough to see Tim at the Live Theatre in Newcastle (Upon Tyne) in Jan 04 with Casey Dreisen and John Doyle.

It was a great show and they played a 20 min encore.

Sadly we have the new Sage (slug) music centre which eats all music and local arts funding from the top of North Yorkshire to Berwick and from Barrow to Carlisle on the west.

Loads of people have started playing there instead of some of the really great small venus in Newcastle.

On avarage its about £10 more expensive Kate Rusby being £26.00 in Sept which is why I am waiting and seeing her in a smaller venue in Durham for £16.00.

I would pay more to see people in smaller venues as 5 much prefer it.

I don't think the Oh Brother thing helps either as the other day some idiot asked me what kind of instrument my Mandolin was, when I told him he said oh great I love that mexican music they play on that George Cluney film !!!!!!!!!!!

How do you even begin to tell him that its not even essentially American in origin http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Rant, Rave, Rant .........Soapbox out >>>>>>

Ray(T)
Aug-13-2005, 9:55am
When someone comes up and asks me "what's that instrument called" I normally tell them its called "George". Surprisingly, they all seem to think that the F5 design is very modern.