PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Greenbriar Boys

Mark Gunter
Feb-04-2019, 9:11am
Ralph Rinzlet and John Herald of the Greenbriar Boys; Bob Dylan in background.

Charles E.
Feb-04-2019, 9:15pm
Hey Mark, nice photo. Slight typo, it's Rlinzer. I have always been a fan of the Greenbriar Boys.

I actually got to meet John Herald at a funky little bar called Mangrove Mama's in the lower Keys back around 1987. I sat down at the bar, looked at the guy sitting next to me and said " your John Herald!" He was surprised that anyone would recognize him and we talked for quite a while. Nice Guy.

Thanks for spurring the memories.

Rich Benson
Feb-04-2019, 9:19pm
I always thought it was - Rinzler.

Mark Gunter
Feb-04-2019, 9:46pm
Yes of course it is Ralph Rinzler. I’m typing on a phone. I’m 64 years old. It’s still “Rinzler”

tree
Feb-05-2019, 8:55am
Dylan doesn't even look 20 in that photo!

Bill Foss
Feb-05-2019, 12:26pm
RIP John Herald and Ralph Rinzler.

allenhopkins
Feb-05-2019, 1:18pm
Saw the Greenbriars once, after Frank Wakefield replaced Rinzler. Was a bit disappointed that Herald took no guitar leads, but in their trio, he stuck to rhythm pretty much, I guess.

He also showed up on a bunch of '60's folk albums; he's on an Ian & Sylvia early album, listed as "Daddy Bones" due to contract issues, playing lead on Four Rode By. Strong and inventive guitarist.

I heard banjoist Bob Yellin moved to Israel, played bluegrass there. Wikipedia says he's back in the US (VT). Wakefield, of course, is still going.

HonketyHank
Feb-05-2019, 2:23pm
I did like their LP's. And I spent a lot of time in Greenbriar County WV back then so I appreciated that their music fit their name. And I even had a '50 Chevy christened 'The Greenbriar Rocket'.

jim simpson
Feb-05-2019, 3:48pm
I liked their cover of Marty Robbin's "At The End Of A Long Lonely Day" (Dan Paisley also does a killer version).

Mark Gunter
Feb-05-2019, 4:28pm
Hey Mark, nice photo. Slight typo, it's Rlinzer. I have always been a fan of the Greenbriar Boys

Hey Charley, I’m in good company, check your spelling of “Rinzler” - really, I’m pretty conscientious about spelling and grammar most of the time; in fact, “professional editor” is one of the hats I wear. But unlike the kids, I only type clumsily with one digit on my cell phone. Life is too short for perfection. Thanks for pointing out the typo.

yes, Bobby looks like a baby here. All three appear to be having a blast. I like these old, seldom seen photos. (Not a typo and not a reference to the Seldom Scene, just in case anyone should wonder.)

Charles E.
Feb-05-2019, 5:58pm
Mark, yea I felt pretty stupid after that. :redface:

I love your hunting up all these old photos.

Bill Kammerzell
Feb-05-2019, 8:15pm
I liked their cover of Marty Robbin's "At The End Of A Long Lonely Day" (Dan Paisley also does a killer version).

I've always wondered who the guitarist was on a number of Marty Robbins' Western ballads. Some beautiful old Southwestern style guitar.

Charles E.
Feb-05-2019, 9:05pm
Grady Martin did some......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AHJwqKUV0k

But I digress.

Bill Kammerzell
Feb-06-2019, 3:44am
Grady Martin did some......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AHJwqKUV0k

But I digress.

Ask and you shall receive! I just looked him up. He did quite a few. In looking around I found a Grateful Dead version of "El Paso" I did not know existed and a Bob Weir and Kingfish version of "Big Iron" I'd never heard.

allenhopkins
Feb-06-2019, 11:29am
Two of my favorite Greenbriar Boys cuts:

TfoDY8wLRmI

7IGVi6KxRGI

HonketyHank
Feb-06-2019, 2:08pm
Here is one of my favorites:

qYqrwFin8HY

I am not from Tennessee, but other than that ...

allenhopkins
Feb-07-2019, 12:27pm
Here is one of my favorites:
I am not from Tennessee, but other than that ...

Just so you know: the song was originally Coon From Tennessee, with all the racial content the title implies. Charlie Poole, among others, recorded it. The Greenbriars cleaned up the language in order to record it.

jim simpson
Feb-07-2019, 12:35pm
I always enjoy hearing Ralph Rinzler's singing (Methodist Pie, etc.), I think he made it work for him.

allenhopkins
Feb-07-2019, 10:19pm
And here's where the band got its name:

1XSe0D-_eKI

seg
Feb-08-2019, 5:37pm

Andy B
Feb-08-2019, 7:18pm
I always enjoyed John Herald’s singing very much. The Greenbriar Boys recordings just sparkle and so much of that for me was John’s powerful voice. For many years I lived near Woodstock and got to know him a little and work a couple of shows with him, which was a treat. He definitely was not a “standard repertoire” guy. He was a sweet man and he is missed.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-09-2019, 6:19am
This track 'turned me on to mandolin' !. Amazing intro. - 'I Cried Again' second track from the end :- https://youtu.be/G0m3AdCaR-I
Ivan

Bogle
Feb-09-2019, 9:23am
I couldn't agree more, Ivan.....Rinzler nailed the tremolo on that one. PLUS, their version of "I Cried Again" a great "how to" example of 3-part harmony. I've always regarded "Ragged But Right" as one of my "desert island" albums!

HonketyHank
Feb-09-2019, 11:16am
"I'd like to linger longer, but I got to make haste" -- probably my most favoritest line.