PDA

View Full Version : tyler mountain mandolins

ollaimh
Feb-01-2019, 12:59pm
anyone every tried a tyler mountain mandolin? are they the usual asian stuff? i was looking at a metal body resonator octave and wondering what it would sound and play like.

allenhopkins
Feb-01-2019, 4:48pm
They are the usual Asian stuff -- except, for a short time Tyler Mountain offered the brass-bodied resonator octave mandolin. I was interested, briefly, for the uniqueness of the instrument, but I didn't bite, and they went away.

You won't find too many here who've played one. They have the "National" style biscuit-bridge resonator construction, and if the Johnson resonator mandolin -- pretty much identical to the Tyler Mountain mandolins (not OM's) -- I played is any indication, they're decently made, brash and raucous sounding, and definitely for fans of assertive stylings.

Jerchap2
Jun-28-2021, 4:04pm
They are the usual Asian stuff -- except, for a short time Tyler Mountain offered the brass-bodied resonator octave mandolin. I was interested, briefly, for the uniqueness of the instrument, but I didn't bite, and they went away.

You won't find too many here who've played one. They have the "National" style biscuit-bridge resonator construction, and if the Johnson resonator mandolin -- pretty much identical to the Tyler Mountain mandolins (not OM's) -- I played is any indication, they're decently made, brash and raucous sounding, and definitely for fans of assertive stylings.

Here you go, a rare chance to get one of these since not many were made and they haven't been made for 10+ years:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/171490#171490