PDA

View Full Version : French Canadian Waltz

Pittsburgh Bill
Jan-31-2019, 9:44am
I have the music notation to a very lovely waltz penned by a French Canadian. This was given to me by a Snowbird friend from Montreal. He knew nothing about the writer.
It is called THE NAVAJO WALTZ by Usquhart G. Pender, 1991. Not quite sure about the spelling of the first name as it is written on my music in long hand and not very legible. The fact that my high school French was 50 years ago does't help either.
It is, perhaps, my favorie waltz to play and I'm curious to know more about the writer.

Ranald
Jan-31-2019, 9:59am
The name "Usquhart G. Pender" does not sound French Canadian. "Urqhart' (if that's the name) is a Scottish name, and "Pender", Anglo Saxon. I've never heard of a French Canadian with either name.

added later: There are a couple of tunes named "Navajo Waltz" on YouTube, one by Pete Kelly and one by Jonah Littlesunday.

Pittsburgh Bill
Feb-01-2019, 4:46pm
The name "Usquhart G. Pender" does not sound French Canadian. "Urqhart' (if that's the name) is a Scottish name, and "Pender", Anglo Saxon. I've never heard of a French Canadian with either name.

added later: There are a couple of tunes named "Navajo Waltz" on YouTube, one by Pete Kelly and one by Jonah Littlesunday.
I was under the assumption that this came from a French Canadian since my friend hails from Montreal. While I am not certain, I thought my friend told me he met the writer at a jam. Unfortunately, my friend is no longer with us for me to ask.
The two waltzes found on youtube are not the same.

Ranald
Feb-01-2019, 5:18pm
Montreal has a large English-speaking minority, as well as significant ethnic minorities who might speak either or both languages (e.g., Jewish people, Italians, Haitians.) Sorry I can't help you with the tune or artist.

Jim Garber
Feb-01-2019, 6:07pm
I have the music notation to a very lovely waltz penned by a French Canadian. This was given to me by a Snowbird friend from Montreal. He knew nothing about the writer.
It is called THE NAVAJO WALTZ by Usquhart G. Pender, 1991. Not quite sure about the spelling of the first name as it is written on my music in long hand and not very legible. The fact that my high school French was 50 years ago does't help either.
It is, perhaps, my favorie waltz to play and I'm curious to know more about the writer.

Since the ones on Youtube are not the same as the ones you play would you be willing to scan the notation or record your playing? I am always looking for nice waltzes.