PDA

View Full Version : Gibson? on eBay

JLeather
Jan-30-2019, 9:07pm
This one has me wondering:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-GIBSON-1970-F5-MANDOLIN-WITH-ORIGINAL-HARD-SHELL-CASE/173757614848

The headstock looks right for a ~'70 F5, as is the case, but there's a lot that isn't '70 F5. The finish is wrong, and that 1-piece back looks too nice for anything Gibson was cranking out at that time. Also I didn't think they did block fretboard inlays in the 70's? Maybe it's a '70 F5 that had a new back and a substantial amount of rework done? No decent shot of the label, but it looks awfully 'aged'...

Vernon Hughes
Jan-30-2019, 9:49pm
Could have been a lump scroll someone cut out. Notice the difference in the riser block next to the "scroll"..It's nearly nonexistent. Pretty rough looking scroll ridge as well. Who knows..

rcc56
Jan-30-2019, 11:23pm
Looks like a circa 1969 - 1970 Gibson F-5 to me.
The head plate with script logo is typical of the '70's, while the block inlays are typical of the '60's.
In other words, the fingerboard had been lying in the parts bin longer than the head plate when this instrument was built.
Nothing very unusual about that.
As a matter of fact, the instrument looks completely original except for a newer set of tuners and the pearl truss rod cover. This one probably left the factory with covered Kluson tuners. Gibson did still occasionally use nice wood into the '70's.

Jess L.
Jan-30-2019, 11:56pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-GIBSON-1970-F5-MANDOLIN-WITH-ORIGINAL-HARD-SHELL-CASE/173757614848

Were peghead scroll bindings that rough looking on Gibsons of that era? :confused:

rcc56
Jan-31-2019, 4:31pm
A lot of things got sloppy on Gibson products in the late CMI years. They got sloppier when Norlin took them over at the end of 1969. Then they steadily got even worse.

William Smith
Jan-31-2019, 4:46pm
That instrument has had serious good finish work, and if you look close you can see the remnants of a 20s Gibson Master Model label! So this may be an attempt at a forgery?

rcc56
Jan-31-2019, 4:53pm
Norlin used a version of the Master Model label also. I had one on my work bench last year. That one had the fancy fingerboard inlay and was probably built around '72.

J.Albert
Jan-31-2019, 5:36pm
Sumpin' tells me that that is not an original Gibson F-5...

JLeather
Feb-02-2019, 9:02am
Were peghead scroll bindings that rough looking on Gibsons of that era? :confused:

They were about that bad on the '74 F12 I used to own, and the peghead wood grain was almost identical as well. Plus these were the years subject to 'binding rot' so some of that may be repair.

I'm pretty confident that this started life as a Gibson F-style mandolin of some sort, just can't tell exactly what all has been done. Has anyone ever seen a 1-piece back on a 70's Gibson?

Jess L.
Feb-03-2019, 1:16am

A lot of things got sloppy on Gibson products in the late CMI years. They got sloppier when Norlin took them over at the end of 1969. Then they steadily got even worse.

They were about that bad on the '74 F12 I used to own, and the peghead wood grain was almost identical as well. Plus these were the years subject to 'binding rot' so some of that may be repair.

Thanks! :)

Jim Hilburn
Feb-03-2019, 12:32pm
In my estimation it can't be a '70 Gibson. Look at Rickker's post in the Bad Gibson thread of a '69 F5. Then if you look at other 70's Gibsons they don't have the headblock riser with the ivoroid crosspiece.
Nothing about this instrument looks like either the last of the pre-Norlin Kalamazoo mandolins or the post Norlin mandolins.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2019, 1:36pm
I'm not certain that this is a Gibson of any era? Certainly not a '70s model? The points made in by Jim in post #11 are exactly right -- the 70s Gibson F-styles had the "straight slot" neck joint and no cross piece. See pics of a '72 F-12 I used to own attached. I think the bridge, tail piece and pick guard are wrong for a '70s model too. If anything this is could be a '60s model -- but when did the "fat head stock" which started in 1952 end? Was it mid-60s? Is this a late 60s F-5? Is the sunburst "wrong" for a '70s F-style? I'd ask for a better pic of those labels? Proceed with caution!

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2019, 1:50pm
Looks like a circa 1969 - 1970 Gibson F-5 to me.
The head plate with script logo is typical of the '70's, while the block inlays are typical of the '60's.
In other words, the fingerboard had been lying in the parts bin longer than the head plate when this instrument was built.
Nothing very unusual about that.
As a matter of fact, the instrument looks completely original except for a newer set of tuners and the pearl truss rod cover. This one probably left the factory with covered Kluson tuners. Gibson did still occasionally use nice wood into the '70's.

This explanation is possible also IMHO - -a very late '60s/very early'70s hybrid. If the seller will respond get some good pics of the labels if you can. If it is signed by Ed Rendal (sp?) you might be OK.

Jeff Mando
Feb-03-2019, 2:43pm
Something is odd with the peghead overlay -- not a flower pot, but not exactly a fleur-de-lis, either -- at least not like the one Gibson usually uses......?

William Smith
Feb-03-2019, 3:35pm
The ebay Gibson is also single bound! Not like the 5 or 12 of that era? I would say that it is a reworked older Gibson, It well could be a 40's-50's that was redone? The binding reminds me of an F-7 type? or it is a copy from one of the guys back then, Randy Wood etc...The finish is just too nice IMHO for what Gibson was doing in those years, looks totally different more like a 30's 40's F-5 type finish! and a one piece back and a very nice quilted back? They did have the quilted backs back then, for sure in the 1940's? Also the tuners are worm over gear also used in the 40's-70's. This is either a reworked Gibson or one fine copy I think? This may have a great overall sound to it as I do think some work was put into it! I'd love to have it in my hands to really look at inside and out! Check any FON if it aint sanded off if a re graduation took place! 30's and 0's didn't have a MM label just the big Gibson Guarantee label. The MM label that is very faded almost looks like a Paganoni label he was using in the 70's? Its a MYSTERY but neat but I don't feel like buying it to try and figure it out! Maybe for a lot less $
I asked them about this when it was on Reverb and they were supposed to get back with me because I asked about the label and refinish etc...but no response at all! Well they did say someone would contact me but this was 2 weeks ago so?

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2019, 8:28pm
Something is odd with the peghead overlay -- not a flower pot, but not exactly a fleur-de-lis, either -- at least not like the one Gibson usually uses......?

Which mandolin are you taking about? If you are referring to the images of the 1972 F-12 I posted (#12) that is what they used from '70 to '77?

The images I posted are from a Kalamazoo plant Gibson -- not any doubt in the world.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-03-2019, 8:36pm
I just noticed that this is being sold by Sam Ash stores. So your risk in purchasing would be small IMO. First I think Sam Ash might have the expertise to look at a mandolin in hand and assure that it is a Gibson and 2) if you were unhappy they probably would take it back? You'd be out shipping.

Mickey King
Feb-03-2019, 8:53pm
Says 30 day money back guarantee.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-04-2019, 10:57am
I'm jumping between theads, but in the "Bad Gibson" thread Rickker just posted a video of his '69 and I noticed the pickguard is screwed to the body instead of being pinned. This mandolin has that feature. And they both have the block inlayed fingerboard. Is it possible someone took a 60's F and re-worked the peghead?

William Smith
Feb-04-2019, 11:32am
Its possible Jim but that thing had a refinish I'm betting on, its just too nice for that era IMHO? I may be wrong?

Jim Hilburn
Feb-04-2019, 11:46am
Oh, yeah, re-fin for sure. Did the 60's F-5's have the pointy heelcap?

dhmando
Feb-04-2019, 4:13pm
Judging from the binding and tailpiece, I think it may be a 50s or 60s F-12 conversion.

Jeff Mando
Feb-04-2019, 11:23pm
Which mandolin are you taking about? If you are referring to the images of the 1972 F-12 I posted (#12) that is what they used from '70 to '77?

The images I posted are from a Kalamazoo plant Gibson -- not any doubt in the world.

Yep, I got the eBay mandolin confused with the pictures you posted. My mistake.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-07-2019, 10:46am
So following the "Bad Gibson" thread, there are still some puzzling things about this one.
The block inlays and screwed down pickguard had me thinking 60's F5 with reworked peghead. But the Gibson's had a 3 piece neck and and rounded heel cap. So replaced back and neck? The front scroll binding looks better than the back. Weird one for sure.

ollaimh
Feb-11-2019, 12:57am
could this be worth even close to the asking price, even if ll original??