PDA

View Full Version : Information about Gibson

ZachL
Jan-30-2019, 8:50pm
Hello all - I was hoping get get some information about this mandolin. This was my fathers for many years (at least 45 years). I recently acquired it. I know it needs some work but I was hoping to get some information on it...model...approx year, etc. I was looking for a serial number but couldn't find one. The only numbers I was able to find are inside of the F-hole and looks like "965B"

Thanks for the help

mrmando
Jan-30-2019, 8:56pm
Circa 1933, judging from the logo ... that particular logo was in use for a very short period of time.

The presence of a B suffix on the factory order number, however, indicates a precise date of 1936.

ZachL
Jan-30-2019, 9:11pm
Thanks for the help. I didn’t think he had it that long

CWRoyds
Jan-30-2019, 9:34pm
It appears to be a Gibson A-00.
It was an entry level mandolin, without a lot of bling.
Cool little mandolins.

I have one my sister-in-law gave to me.
The neck on mine is very slim and easy to play, but it is a short neck.
Unfortunately, someone had a drunken moment with it, grabbed it by the neck and smashed it.
There is a crack all the way through the top, back, and sides.
To add insult to injury, they repaired it with eboxy, making any further fixing almost impossible.
Oh well.

Mine has the same logo on the headstock, and mine is from 1940.

ZachL
Jan-31-2019, 9:55am
It appears to be a Gibson A-00.
It was an entry level mandolin, without a lot of bling.
Cool little mandolins.

I have one my sister-in-law gave to me.
The neck on mine is very slim and easy to play, but it is a short neck.
Unfortunately, someone had a drunken moment with it, grabbed it by the neck and smashed it.
There is a crack all the way through the top, back, and sides.
To add insult to injury, they repaired it with eboxy, making any further fixing almost impossible.
Oh well.

Mine has the same logo on the headstock, and mine is from 1940.

Looks nice.

Now, I just need to find someone to restore mine.

William Smith
Jan-31-2019, 10:13am
Is the back flat or carved? It looks like a 1936 A-1!

ZachL
Jan-31-2019, 10:23am

Flat back with sunburst....I think .....I need to look again.

mrmando
Jan-31-2019, 1:58pm
It needs a new nut and bridge, and a setup. Where are you located?

ZachL
Jan-31-2019, 10:23pm

Flat back....no sunburst

ZachL
Jan-31-2019, 10:27pm
It needs a new nut and bridge, and a setup. Where are you located?

Long Island

Some of the original pieces I have...Bridge, tailpiece. I have to look if I have the nut. I would like to try and keep it as original as possible and get it restrung.

f5loar
Feb-01-2019, 2:04am
1936 a-0

William Smith
Feb-01-2019, 8:23am
Yep flat back, F5loar is correct a 1936 A-0

BradKlein
Feb-01-2019, 10:45am
If you'd like it set up and playable you might try RetroFret or Brooklyn Lutherie in Brooklyn, or Tom Crandall in Manhattan.

It's a nice instrument, worth the repair costs. I have a Gibson flat-top guitar from that period, and someday I'd like to own the 'matching' mandolin myself!

mtucker
Feb-01-2019, 1:28pm
Nice, fix what needs fixing, oil up the tuners and put a fresh set up on it and leave the rest alone....restore?....I wouldn't touch the finish or polish anything

ZachL
Feb-01-2019, 6:56pm
If you'd like it set up and playable you might try RetroFret or Brooklyn Lutherie in Brooklyn, or Tom Crandall in Manhattan.

It's a nice instrument, worth the repair costs. I have a Gibson flat-top guitar from that period, and someday I'd like to own the 'matching' mandolin myself!

Thank you!!

ZachL
Feb-01-2019, 6:57pm
Nice, fix what needs fixing, oil up the tuners and put a fresh set up on it and leave the rest alone....restore?....I wouldn't touch the finish or polish anything

Yup...That's basically what I meant. I didn't want to touch the finish but wanted to keep it as original as possible.