PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Gig Costume

HonketyHank
Jan-30-2019, 1:43pm

One more reason that I do not aspire to become a professional mandolin artist.

JEStanek
Jan-31-2019, 10:29am
Mike Marshall doesn't dress like that.

MontanaMatt
Jan-31-2019, 11:29am
My performance costume involves pearly snap shirts and a mic stand beer holder:grin::cool::mandosmiley:

JPS
Jan-31-2019, 12:59pm

As far as you know.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-31-2019, 4:32pm

Apparently Danny Roberts (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/70015-Band-attire) doesn't either.

allenhopkins
Feb-01-2019, 4:14pm
I have my own quasi-19th-century garb, which I don for historical programs -- when I use my bowl-backs, gut-strung banjo, old Wheatstone concertinas, etc., and play the "hits" of 175 years ago.

Eric Platt
Feb-02-2019, 9:24am
I have a folk "costume" for certain gigs. I call it my fakelore outfit. It's a Scandinavian look based around an Irish grandfather shirt.

pops1
Feb-02-2019, 12:54pm
I have clothes for civil war gigs that are period recreations, otherwise it is a Hawaiian shirt if it is warm, if not flannel. I have a lot of Hawaiian shirts, some I bought in 1970 and they were old then.

Jess L.
Feb-03-2019, 1:07am

As far as you know.

:grin: :)

Astro
Feb-03-2019, 9:06am
Before a gig with my Americana band I do feel like I need to match the vibe and fit in with the band.

So I just fish something back out of the dirty clothes hamper and shake it out. Good to go.

MontanaMatt
Feb-03-2019, 12:06pm
Before a gig with my Americana band I do feel like I need to match the vibe and fit in with the band.

So I just fish something back out of the dirty clothes hamper and shake it out. Good to go.
That's how you select your drawers, how do you select your pants?:))

foldedpath
Feb-03-2019, 2:31pm
I'm embarrassed to admit I've done the Plastic Paddy thing with a black wool "Fiddler's" cap for a few gigs. A green shirt if it's an actual St. Patrick's Day performance. But that's as far as I go.

MontanaMatt
Feb-03-2019, 5:07pm
I'm embarrassed to admit I've done the Plastic Paddy thing with a black wool "Fiddler's" cap for a few gigs. A green shirt if it's an actual St. Patrick's Day performance. But that's as far as I go.
I never knew there was such a thing as a fiddlers cap until today...
Now I think I needed to get one!

Ranald
Feb-03-2019, 5:42pm

Well, I never! I've been fiddling for decades, I've been around fiddlers since I was an embryo, and have seen hundreds of fiddlers in my life, but never heard of a "fiddler's cap," let alone saw a fiddler wearing one. A local Irishman, who plays whistle and flute, wears what I now realize is one. Are North American fiddlers making a major faux pas with our dress code? In truth, I don't give a fiddler's...

Here's a link so people can see fiddler's caps:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fiddlers+cap&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi7oKvrz6DgAhUn6YMKHQkcC7AQ7Al6BAgAEA8&biw=1051&bih=598

And here's a Canadian fiddler's cap:

foldedpath
Feb-03-2019, 9:03pm
Well, I never! I've been fiddling for decades, I've been around fiddlers since I was an embryo, and have seen hundreds of fiddlers in my life, but never heard of a "fiddler's cap," let alone saw a fiddler wearing one. A local Irishman, who plays whistle and flute, wears what I now realize is one. Are North American fiddlers making a major faux pas with our dress code? In truth, I don't give a fiddler's...

Here's a link so people can see fiddler's caps:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fiddlers+cap&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi7oKvrz6DgAhUn6YMKHQkcC7AQ7Al6BAgAEA8&biw=1051&bih=598

That's the one! Basically what's usually known as a "Greek fisherman's hat" but without the foofy braid on the front. Kevin Burke might have started that back in the 70's with the Bothy Band, but it probably goes back further.

It's actually a very practical hat during the Winter months up here in the Pacific Northwest. Keeps 'yer noggin warmer than a trucker hat, and it sheds the misty dew they call "rain" here.

And here's a Canadian fiddler's cap:

Yep, I've seen that one on a fiddler too! :grin:

Foolish Frost
Feb-03-2019, 10:22pm
Not much for me to say...

I mean, I could say something, but why?

Jess L.
Feb-04-2019, 1:21am
Y'all are funny! :mandosmiley: :grin: :) I just voted this thread as 5 stars (excellent). :)

Astro
Feb-04-2019, 8:46am
That's how you select your drawers, how do you select your pants?:))

What drawers ?

-gig free or go home

Eric Platt
Feb-04-2019, 8:50am
What drawers ?

Isn't commando a different forum?

Astro
Feb-04-2019, 8:57am
Isn't commando a different forum?

Yeah, you're pretty safe with guitar but for me, mando also provides plenty enough coverage...gotta be careful playing uke though.

Ranald
Feb-04-2019, 4:28pm
re: fiddlers caps

I'm always finding out about musical opportunities too late. I lived for years in Windsor, Ontario, across the river from Detroit. After moving away from Windsor, I learned that Detroit had a great blues scene, with John Lee Hooker and Howard Armstrong among others, living there. Furthermore, Windsor and Detroit had a dynamic Cape Breton fiddle scene, with many Cape Bretoners (like my father) having moved to the region to work in the salt mines and auto plants. I also learned too late that Joe MacLean, one of my favourite Cape Breton fiddle players (now gone), lived directly behind my grandmother's house in Sydney, Nova Scotia. More recently, while running a folk club in Ottawa, I turned on the news to hear an obituary for Willie Dunn, from Nova Scotia, one of my favourite singer-songwriters, who it seems had been living a couple of miles away in Quebec. When I lived in Toronto in the 1970's and 80's, I regularly passed a couple of mainly-male bars on Yonge Street, in which many of the customers wore black caps with short peaks. If I'd known that these were "fiddlers caps," I would have realized these bars were traditional music venues. I haven't figured out why the men never seemed to be carrying instrument cases though. ;)

Bertram Henze
Feb-05-2019, 12:08am
Tights would not go well with my hairy T Rex's legs, but I have played outdoor sessions in a white Aran sweater, and I am wearing a bowler hat on a regular basis (a sure way to get a smile from total strangers). Nobody has brought me to wearing a kilt, though, yet.

Roger Moss
Feb-07-2019, 11:18pm
I always thought David Akeman (Stringbean) had the greatest costume of all time.

Randi Gormley
Feb-08-2019, 5:20pm
There are always the Nudie suits, if you want to talk glitz.

mandroid
Feb-08-2019, 5:39pm
Mean like appearing on Hee Haw?

Phil Goodson
Feb-08-2019, 8:49pm
Fiddler's cap perhaps from this guy?

"dotta dotta dotta dot a da"

foldedpath
Feb-08-2019, 9:06pm
Fiddler's cap perhaps from this guy?

"dotta dotta dotta dot a da"

It's the right idea but the wrong color, and Tevye wasn't the fiddler in that film anyway. A fiddler's cap is black. :)