PDA

View Full Version : Microphone mute switch

ABrown
Jan-27-2019, 9:49am
Hey all I am looking for a well made microphone mute foot pedal. When I play live I constantly switch between guitar and mandolin and I have a different setup for each. My mandolin setup is a PGA81 straight into the board while my guitars have K&K Pure Minis installed, so when I'm on guitar I just want to be able to turn off the PGA81 without going over to the board and muting the channel. I've googled it a bunch and have it narrowed down to a few but I'd like some other feedback from anyone who might have another opinion. Thanks!

OneChordTrick
Jan-27-2019, 10:08am
A similar question was asked a few weeks back and I think the consensus was to use a tuner pedal with a mute as the cost was similar and has the bonus of a tuner. Don’t know much about microphones so it may not work with your set up? But if it does it’s fairly cheap, I bought a tuner for my e-mando for £12.

ABrown
Jan-27-2019, 10:22am
A similar question was asked a few weeks back and I think the consensus was to use a tuner pedal with a mute as the cost was similar and has the bonus of a tuner. Don’t know much about microphones so it may not work with your set up? But if it does it’s fairly cheap, I bought a tuner for my e-mando for £12.

That would be ideal however I haven’t ever seen a tuning pedal with xlr input/output. I’ll look into that

OneChordTrick
Jan-27-2019, 11:30am
An XLR input? I think you’re beginning to scratch the depths of my ignorance about microphones :). I had to Google XLR so I suspect my approach may take you down a dead end. My apologies if I waste your time.

foldedpath
Jan-27-2019, 11:31am
That PG81 is a condenser mic, isn't it? Most microphone mute boxes will cause an audible "Pop" when used with condenser mics that require phantom power from the board.

The Orchid mic muting pedal supposedly buffers the signal with a quiet mute, but I haven't tried it myself. Maybe someone else here has used it, or will have other suggestions:

https://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/orchid_mic_muting_pedal/176957

pops1
Jan-27-2019, 11:38am
I haven't used the mic muting pedal, but I have an Orchid preamp and they are good, well made products. NFI on my part, just an observation. Looks like it will silently mute, pass phantom power to your mic, and power itself with phantom from the board.

ABrown
Jan-27-2019, 11:40am
That PG81 is a condenser mic, isn't it? Most microphone mute boxes will cause an audible "Pop" when used with condenser mics that require phantom power from the board.

The Orchid mic muting pedal supposedly buffers the signal with a quiet mute, but I haven't tried it myself. Maybe someone else here has used it, or will have other suggestions:

https://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/orchid_mic_muting_pedal/176957

You are correct, there are mute switches that are built to eliminate the "pop" that comes from switching on/off a powered signal.

ABrown
Jan-27-2019, 11:42am
I haven't used the mic muting pedal, but I have an Orchid preamp and they are good, well made products. NFI on my part, just an observation. Looks like it will silently mute, pass phantom power to your mic, and power itself with phantom from the board.

I'll check it out, I like the idea of it being self powered, I definitely want it to have an indicating light as to whether it's on or bypassed.

Just gave it a look and it looks like this is a momentary switch and not a latching one

Mike Martin
Jan-27-2019, 11:43am
I use a Pro Co Sign Off. It passes phantom power, and there is no pop when you hit the switch. Solidly built.

ABrown
Jan-27-2019, 11:52am
I use a Pro Co Sign Off. It passes phantom power, and there is no pop when you hit the switch. Solidly built.

Does it have a status light?

Mike Martin
Jan-27-2019, 11:53am
The Sign Off has no indicator light, but a couple other Pro Co models do - the Power Mute and the Panic Button.

ABrown
Jan-27-2019, 12:02pm
An XLR input? I think you’re beginning to scratch the depths of my ignorance about microphones :). I had to Google XLR so I suspect my approach may take you down a dead end. My apologies if I waste your time.

Don't worry about that, I appreciate your input. I'm pretty ignorant to audio equipment and techniques myself, this is probably a dumb question for most of the heavy gigging collective here

Brian Shaw
Jan-27-2019, 1:43pm
The Rolls MM11, is another option. It passes phantom and there is no pop. Plus, it is inexpensive. I've been using it for years with no trouble.

Beanzy
Jan-27-2019, 1:52pm
Another approach might be to get both set up and controlled using a mini mixer something like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ammoon-Console-2-Channel-Recording-Broadcast/dp/B07LBQNQVV/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1548613405&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=Mic%2B%26%2Bguitar%2Bmixer&th=1

then you could take the balanced line level output and send that to a decent line level A/B switch.
I use one of these mounted in a case for switching between my fiddle & mandolin after they exit the preamp at line level.
In your case it would be after the mini mixer. https://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=153

dstratto
Jan-28-2019, 7:21am
I used the Whirlwind "Micmute PP" for a long time. It is a bit more expensive than the Rolls but it has an LED indicator light so you know when it is on. I did eventually have to replace the toggle switch. I recently switched to the Orchid Mic Mute, which I also like.

mandroid
Jan-29-2019, 12:21am
Neutrik NC3FXS Female XLR Connector with On-Off Switch
Brand:Neutrik|Model: NC3FXS|Part # 092-080

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nc3fxs-female-xlr-connector-with-on-off-switch--092-080

simple , effective XLR substitute Mic Cable End..

mandroid
Jan-29-2019, 12:25am
Tuning pedals target the Much bigger Guitar market so are 1/4" TR in and out.
you may have them rewired TRS for additional cost and effort..

Nevin
Jan-29-2019, 10:53am
If you are not using phantom power, a simple A/B switch with one side not connected would work.

lloving
Feb-05-2019, 4:58pm
I use the Radial Big Shot I/O. Pass two instruments through and select A or B or Mute. Simple passive switch. You can always add phantom power after the switch.

Steve Greer
Feb-08-2019, 4:23pm
I use this one. My band plays to a single Ear Trumpet Labs condenser Mic that is very hot and to keep the audience from hearing us from discussing (arguing about the key of the next tune) we use this to mute the mic. I think it was expensive but worth it.
Alectro Systems inc (MMSI-S) Check it out

ABrown
Feb-17-2019, 9:30am
I use this one. My band plays to a single Ear Trumpet Labs condenser Mic that is very hot and to keep the audience from hearing us from discussing (arguing about the key of the next tune) we use this to mute the mic. I think it was expensive but worth it.
Alectro Systems inc (MMSI-S) Check it out

This is the one I ended up going with. I think it will do what I need but I wonder why they couldn't power the circuitry with the 48v phantom power rather than requiring an external power source.

mandroid
Feb-18-2019, 3:25pm
Neutrik NC3FXS Female XLR Connector with On-Off Switch
Brand:Neutrik|Model: NC3FXS|Part # 092-080

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nc3fxs-female-xlr-connector-with-on-off-switch--092-080

simple , effective XLR substitute Mic Cable End..

That is what they were made to do add an off switch for microphones that did not have any..

ABrown
Feb-18-2019, 3:33pm
That is what they were made to do add an off switch for microphones that did not have any..

No doubt that this is a simple and effective solution but I was pretty set on having something hands free that I could toggle without much movement of effort

mandroid
Feb-18-2019, 3:46pm
Guess you make those big gig bucks, I am lucky if I find anyone to play with in an otherwise empty room

Steve Greer
Feb-19-2019, 3:28pm
This is the one I ended up going with. I think it will do what I need but I wonder why they couldn't power the circuitry with the 48v phantom power rather than requiring an external power source.

wow that is a darn good question. Maybe to power the led lights? The lights are very bright. It does pass through the 48v. It also meets all the OP requirements as well as mine.

mandroid
Feb-20-2019, 6:43pm
'phantom' is the external power source..

ABrown
Feb-20-2019, 7:53pm
'phantom' is the external power source..

Correct. I’ve seen mute pedals where the phantom power source actually powers the indicating circuit by feeding it before the bypass switch

gummia
Feb-22-2019, 3:23pm
Rolls MS 111 all the way.

ABrown
Mar-01-2019, 5:19pm
Update for interested parties.

I ended up purchasing the Alectro MMSI-S pedal after having trouble finding the Orchid pedal in stock anywhere. To be honest this pedal leaves a lot to be desired for the price they're asking. The casing seems light and flimsy, basically pot metal, and the battery compartment door is of a poor design that will no doubt be broken before too long. The fact that it requires external power at all was a con from the beginning. The other thing I've discovered is that the switching mechanism is susceptible to any minor electrical signal, such as a static shock, which actually forces the pedal to change states without actually engaging the switch, this is a drawback of an electrically held latch. I was able to replicate this a dozen times simply by building up a static charge in my body and lightly touching the metal part of the switch. This likely won't be an issue when I use it live with rubber soled boots on but it's just one more thing that makes this pedal not worth the money. I have to play tomorrow night and I'll likely try it out but I will be looking into returning it and continuing the search for a mute pedal. That being said if anyone knows where to find an Orchid microphone mute pedal with the tuner output I'd love to know about it.

dstratto
Mar-01-2019, 7:11pm
To get my orchid mute switch I emailed Orchid Electronics in the UK. The transaction was easy and it arrived in about a week, I think.

pit lenz
Mar-04-2019, 12:10am
For all the diy folks, here come two links about building a pop-free mute switch (also for condenser mics):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PPoAp9nCcQE
And
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9BF3QnpHM