PDA

View Full Version : feedback destroyer

mando-g
Mar-12-2004, 3:33pm
In some previous discussions about single mic setups for live situations, the problem of feedback always comes up. Somebody mentioned something about a Feedback Destroyer by Berhinger. I checked it out, and it seems too good to be true, especially for only $70.00 or so. Do these things really work? How much sound quality do you have to sacrifice?

BenE
Mar-12-2004, 3:39pm
I have the same set up and think that I would prefer a good EQ and sound guy as opposed to the Berhinger unit. One thing about the Berhinger is that you have to ring out the room before the sound check. That my friend is a royal pain in the butt! You have to let the channels feedback in order for the unit to capture the offending frequency. We went to the Peavey EQ with LED for showing the frequency that is feeding back....just my two cents...your mileage may vary!

Bradley
Mar-12-2004, 3:58pm
We have one and it works fine....

I really wouldnt consider it a pain, takes about 10 minutes once you get the hang of it.Sometimes as the room/auditirium changes with occupancy it still needed a little adjustment

Dru Lee Parsec
Mar-12-2004, 6:57pm
But what if you're setting up in a room that already has people in it? Like a resteraunt gig. I wouldn't want to play feedback for 10 minutes with customers in the room.

jim simpson
Mar-13-2004, 1:07pm
I don't believe the feedback runs for 10 minutes, the feedback will peak momentarily for the unit to take the reading.

BenE
Mar-13-2004, 3:15pm
Yes....The feedback will cycle through all the channels and it takes about one to two seconds for the unit to capture the signal....all the time the feedback is howling!

John S
Mar-14-2004, 4:34pm
It really does work, but the price you pay for having automatic feedback control is that the unit won't catch the signal until it starts feeding back. But when we were playing around a single mic the automatic feedback destroyer was a necessity. In many situations, we wouldn't have been able to get the volume otherwise. We have no soundman, so we needed something automatic. When we were in the middle of a song, if a feedback frequency popped up, the unit caught it before it became that noticeable. I got pretty good at ringing out the room too, manipulating the volume sliders to get the unit to lock into the baddest feedback frequencies in less than a second usually.

One other caveat particular to the Behringer is that once it locks onto a frequency, it tends to deepen and widen that notch over time and it can end up coloring the sound.