PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Accident Aftermath

HonketyHank
Jan-20-2019, 11:52am
Gleaned from a Google image search including the word "mandolin" in the search string:

Holly's fingers after her mandolin accident:

My conclusion: Holly is left handed and she has a really vigorous chop.

Charles E.
Jan-20-2019, 12:04pm
Ouch. I saw a woman using a mandolin to slice cucumbers recently and she was wearing a blue nitrile glove. When I asked her if that was enough protection she lifted the end to expose a kevlar glove. You have to protect your fingers.

LadysSolo
Jan-20-2019, 3:49pm
Perhaps the actual accident was with a "mandoline"? LOL!! :mandosmiley:

MikeZito
Jan-20-2019, 4:24pm
I have stop reading Sherlock Holmes stories . . . I keep trying to glean hidden information from seemingly casual observance.

DHopkins
Jan-20-2019, 6:48pm
I would use chain mail gloves.....on the mandoline, not the mandolin.

foldedpath
Jan-20-2019, 9:59pm
The mandolin, not our mandolin, is a dangerous kitchen toy if you've never used one. It's the newbies who cut themselves.

We have one that gets pulled out every once in a while, for things like shredded cabbage or Thai green papaya salad. But it's a bear to clean, not really worth it for most things if you have decent knife skills in the kitchen, and know how to sharpen a knife. And that's a whole other discussion, since despite the name, the Cafe isn't really a foodie forum.
;)

P.S but you should taste my Thai papaya salad... it's killer. :grin:

Cobalt
Jan-21-2019, 4:59am
I might add that the mandolin/mandoline thing is mere variation in spelling of no consequence. Certainly in the UK I use both interchangeably, and it appears that way in books too. Perhaps the version without the 'e' is more usual in the USA. (I dare say this has been discussed previously).

Simon DS
Jan-21-2019, 11:04am
She was playing the mandolin at work -and as we all know the mandolin can be wonderfully relaxing. And you can imagine all those beautiful melodies in the office, but she didn't have an appeciative audience. A couple of careless words...

I would enclose a photo of her boss but it aint pretty! :)

Mark Gunter
Jan-21-2019, 11:10am
The mere idea of a "Mandoline Slicer" sends my mandolins whimpering with fear into their cases.

Jim Garber
Jan-21-2019, 11:31am
Holly needs one of these: Jaccard Safehand Mandolin (https://www.ebay.com/itm/392220068837).

Jeff Mando
Jan-21-2019, 11:59am
I was wondering if any of the luthiers have tried one for shaving bridge bases or making braces/tone bars? Basically, looks like a more dangerous version of a plane......(you move the material rather than the plane...) :disbelief:

Rob Meldrum
Jan-21-2019, 12:01pm
The mandolin slicers come with a safe "handle" that one should use to hold the food and keep the fingers out of harm's way. Apparently many people don't think they need them...

I've been using mine daily, as my new healthy eating plan has me eating potatoes and eggs every morning. I slice up a potato (with a mandolin) and cook it in avocado oil. A little salt and pepper and yum.

AlanN
Jan-21-2019, 12:03pm
I was watching a cooking show the other day, they pulled out a mandolin and used it in a recipe. Seems the name of the thing came from the 'strumming action' of our little wonder....hmmmm.

Ranald
Jan-21-2019, 12:26pm
Gleaned from a Google image search including the word "mandolin" in the search string:

Holly's fingers after her mandolin accident:

My conclusion: Holly is left handed and she has a really vigorous chop.

Maybe Holly was trying to re-create the destruction of Bill Monroe's mandolin, in order to challenge herself as a luthier.
(Actually, I feel for Holly, but there is something funny about the confusion of musical instruments and kitchen devices.)

Jeff Mando
Jan-21-2019, 12:30pm
Looks like it could be a great time saver -- up until that "oops" moment.......

bigskygirl
Jan-24-2019, 10:26am
Ouch! I have more than a little apprehension when I approach a grater or mandoline. What Rob said, I worked in a deli in high school and there was a guard on the slicer that should always be used...ask the guy (my boss actually) I had to take to the ER with his fingertip in my pocket...yuk!

Hubs
Jan-24-2019, 1:41pm
There seems to be a picture of the mandolin too:

mreidsma
Jan-25-2019, 10:09am
A few years ago I was using our mandoline slicer and giving my daughter a lecture on safety. I then sliced the end of my finger partway off. (It’s all healed and I still have sensation and feeling, thank goodness.) I will never live it down. Every time I mention safety now to my kids they start asking if they should call an ambulance now, or wait until I hurt myself...