PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with mandolin

Carey D
Mar-12-2004, 2:31pm
Hey guys and gals,
I'm flying in a couple of days (Northwest Airlines). It's the first time I've ever needed to take my mando on a flight. Will they let me carry it on or is it too big? I'm not too wild about the idea of checking it through with my luggage. Somebody that's used to mando air travel, please give me a shout.

Keep pickin',
Carey D
Ps. 13:6

2partinvention
Mar-12-2004, 2:36pm
They should let you carry it with you they #let me do it... I'm with you I hate it when they open my mandolin case and pick it up to make sure you dont have a bomb or something like that in it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif . Or letting them toss it around outside with all the luggage espacially when its this cold out ( for the mandolin it cold at least ).

mandofiddle
Mar-12-2004, 2:47pm
I've never had a problem carrying mine on. #I've even managed to talk them into letting me carry it on a stump jumper. #You know, those small planes that seat 16 or so people. #It barely fit in the overhead, but it did!

Blind_Cowboy
Mar-12-2004, 2:52pm
Yes. You can take instruments onto the plane as your carry on. I've taken my guitar several times (every time I travel) and last week took my mandolin. The case for a mando will fit in the overhead, or you can ask the air waitress to put it back in the coveted coat closet. If they give you a problem at the counter, tell them that you will check it at the gate... Then just go on in. I've never had a waitress give me a problem.

Blind Cowboy...

Potosimando
Mar-12-2004, 3:04pm
Carried mine to South America three times, to Germany, and to Mexico, usually on different airlines (including NW). #Never even been asked about it, except for one time when a cabin attendant insisted on putting the mando in the coat storage alongside a guitar (which was fine, of course). #Ditto "never any problems" for my girlfriend and her violin, which is always with her (as a professional musician, she does considerably more traveling than I). #Both up above in the overhead.

Ken Sager
Mar-12-2004, 3:05pm
Just an FYI-

Never fly with any instrument on America West. They manage to ignore their own size restrictions and refuse to let you carry on simply because someone there decided instruments won't fit. For that reason alone I boycott AW altogether.

Happy travels, and don't sweat it.

Joy to all,
Ken

Bradley
Mar-12-2004, 5:01pm
I am doing a trip on Delta Soon, I called a few days ago just to "make sure" I was OK.This is my first flight w/ an instrument

My case was 3" too long for the overhead, but they were very cordial in that if I check it at the gate, they will let me carry it on for personal storage by the staff (closet)

If you hear of someone labeled a terrorist on 3/28,it will be me after they try to throw the axe in with the general luggage/cargo....somebody will post bail for me right http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandofiddle
Mar-12-2004, 5:07pm
Hey Bradley, Just carry it on like you know what you're doing. I think their 3" over comment was taken from their rulebook. If you ask, they have to tell you based on their rules...

Ken Sager
Mar-12-2004, 5:12pm
My case was 3" too long for the overhead, but they were very cordial in that if I check it at the gate, they will let me carry it on for personal storage by the staff (closet)
Most airlines have a secondary measurement policy for carry on luggage. They rarely tell you about it. They should be able to tell you their linear maximum (length + width + height). America West publishes 45 linear inches. This is in case you take a longer, slimmer case on board that will still fit in the overhead, but doesn't meet the ~23" length of their little measuring box at each gate.

My calton case is 46 linear inches, a tkl is about the same. Tell them it measures 45 and make them come out with a measuring tape before you'll do anything but carry it on. Let them know you know their policy. Do all of this with a smile and as politely as possible, however. Be firm, nonetheless.

Best,
Ken

Lee
Mar-12-2004, 5:27pm
Send me a private post. I will send you a pdf with a letter addressed to the American Federation of Musicians from the Assistant Administrator of Security Regulation and Policy, of the United States Dept. of Transportation, Transportation Security Administration. , dated Jan. 17, 2003.
It authorizes TSA screeners at airports across the country to allow a musical instrument as carry-on baggage in addition to the limit of one bag and one personal item per person. And if you experience problems at security checkpoints the letter advises you to seek the help of a screening supervisor for resolution.
I can email this letter to who ever sends me an email that I can reply to off the Cafe system so I can attach a pdf file or a tif file.

stefeb
Mar-12-2004, 7:23pm
I recently flew on United and did not have any problems. Just carried it right on in.

Carey D
Mar-21-2004, 6:07pm
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm back from my trip and had no problems on the flight. I even had one lady who saw my case and asked me "Who play's the guitar?" :-)

Carey D
Ps. 13:6

Clamdigger
Mar-22-2004, 6:39am
Lee957, could you give me your email address as I would like a copy of the letter. #Thanks #Clamdigger

Lee
Mar-22-2004, 2:16pm
Clamdigger, send me a post with you email address please, and I'll reply with a pdf attachment.

Lee
Mar-22-2004, 2:18pm
Hmm, let's see if this works.

Lee
Mar-22-2004, 2:19pm
Is it OK to do this?

Tom C
Mar-22-2004, 2:33pm
They once made me stand on a barrel and sing.....
Oh yeah, that was a schaefer beer commercial.

Clamdigger
Mar-22-2004, 2:50pm
Lee957. The letter came through fine and I printed it out. Thanks a lot for the help. Clamdigger

Lee
Mar-22-2004, 2:56pm
A musical saw is definately not a good idea for a carry-on instrument, unless you're writing "Camp Guantanimo Blues".

Ken Sager
Mar-22-2004, 3:24pm
It has been mentioned here before, but that letter will only get you through security. It will not, I repeat NOT, force the airline to allow you to carry on your instrument. Airlines have their own policies.

Seriously,
Ken

Yonkle
May-02-2004, 8:22pm
I am going to Canada to see my daughter and thinking on bringing my Mandolin. Any problems at customs with a mando, or any problems when going out of the country period. Another question, do you loosen the strings or anything when flying with mandolin? thanks JD

Peakbagr
May-03-2004, 6:34am
I carried my as carry-on a short while ago. There were NO problems with the larger American Airlines jets. The problem arose with one gate agent with American's small-city jet. The square case is narrower than the template but a bit longer than allowed. She tried to get me to gate-check it and when I started talking about it being fragile and not having adequate locks and protection, she waved me thru. The steward thought it was no big deal and never mentioned it as I boarded. Lots of anxieity for a few moments. Thats one of the reasons I'm waiting for my Pegasus case to be delivered. Smaller, and if I'm forced to gate check it, it will be better protected.

levin4now
May-03-2004, 6:47am
yonkle - whereabouts you heading in Canada? are you from there or did she move there?

fatt-dad
May-03-2004, 2:06pm
O.K. - I'll weigh in here. I just returned from Panama with my mandolin (in the case) packed in my dufflebag. I just laid in some jeans, put the case down, surrounded it with socks, t-shirts, etc and then topped it with other stuff. No string adjustments, no problems. At customs (and this is usually the case) they did not even open my dufflebag. However, there would not be a big deal as I just would have taken the case out and opened it up!

I have also carried my mandolin through the airport, customs, etc. No problems that way either.

Hope this helps.

fatt-dad

sailaway
May-04-2004, 7:24am
I have found the following tips good for mando-travel:
(1) know the dimensions of the maximum carry on you are allowed and tell them your case fits it;
(2) offer to play a song for the guys when they open your case ----as they probably will,(make it a good fun song, not Chords of Doom)
(3)tell them in advance if you have an electric tuner or metronome etc that looks weird on their scanner
(4) they can freak about your extra strings, and screwdrivers, etc so put them else where, (you don't want them to think you would garotte any banjo player on the same plane)
(5) keep your mando behind your back at bag check-in, and proceed quietly to the gate
(6) if they question you at the gate, tell them it is a $10,000 value or antique --unique -- hand made, etc etc and could they please store it in the suit bag closet .. if this fails, ask to hand check it . If this fails, ask them to provide you with the airline form so you can get adequate insurance from them to cover all $10,000 of damage and breakage if they check it.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

John Flynn
May-04-2004, 8:49am
Another hint:

I was asked recently by a TSA employee, "What kind of instrument is this?" Like that mattered for homeland security!

It occured to me that they wrong answer would be, "Oh, its a cannon, a real banjo killer!"

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif