PDA

View Full Version : Banjo Love from Google

Folkmusician.com
Jan-11-2019, 11:33am
I was quite suprised to see this on Google this morning!

I know, I know, we are talking about Banjos here... Still pretty cool though! I haven't paid a lot of attention lately... how is Bluegrass doing in the mainsteam now?

David L
Jan-11-2019, 12:17pm
I saw that and thought "That's Earl Scruggs".

ManjoMan
Jan-11-2019, 1:11pm
If you click on the Google logo, you will see that it is honor of Earl Scruggs. Don't know about the rest of you, but I think this is pretty cool of them to do so.

Randi Gormley
Jan-11-2019, 3:00pm
My husband-the-guitar-player clicked on the image and Youtube dropped him into a couple of video choices of Earl Scruggs and other musicians, including Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers. Just wonderful stuff.

kurth83
Jan-11-2019, 4:32pm
I approve of anything positively (as opposed to negatively) related to Earl Scruggs. :-)

Ballad of Jed Clampett was my introduction to bluegrass when I was a kid.

They even animated "Scruggs Style" pickin fairly accurately, and got the number of strings right, which animation rarely does.

Edit: watching Steve Martin play a decent banjo was a trip. :-)

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-12-2019, 2:16am
It wasn't on Google this side of the pond !. It is nice to think that it was in honour of Earl Scuggs though.

kurth83 - I'd just started playing banjo back in 1963 when 'The Beverly Hillbillies' came onto UK TV. I couldn't believe it !!. It was one of the first tunes that i managed to get right. It was hard going back then learning by ear,which was all that you could do at that time,
Ivan

MikeZito
Jan-12-2019, 6:51am
Kudos to Google . . . better to honor Earl than some of these modern no-talent thugs who pose as musicians.

gspiess
Jan-12-2019, 8:03am
I'm glad to see that other people were seeing it. Earlier in the day I had been looking at a Youtube banjo lesson and then the Google icon popped up. My initial thought was that this whole artificial intelligence thing is getting creepy.

dhergert
Jan-12-2019, 12:01pm
Yup, saw it yesterday morning too. I'm really glad they did it, but I have to wonder why they chose to. Banjo content on the mainstream is really really unusual. I would love to see all bluegrass instruments highlighted like that.

CarlM
Jan-12-2019, 4:34pm
I'm really glad they did it, but I have to wonder why they chose to.
They may have been doing it late for Earl's birthday which was on the 6th.