PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

Jill McAuley
Jan-04-2019, 12:17am
I've decided to do a Tune-A-Week project for 2019! Here is the tune for Week 1, a great wee jig called "Peter Byrne's Fancy":

n936q_Y3MEw

Dave Hanson
Jan-04-2019, 2:46am
Nice.

Dave H

Frithjof
Jan-04-2019, 3:52am
Great New Year's resolution. I'm happy to watch every week a new video from you playing your new mandolin.

Jesse Kinman
Jan-04-2019, 9:21am
Great picking! I love the sound of that mandolin! I haven’t played an oval hole that I actually liked the sound of, but that sounds like it has a nice balanced sound. If I was to ever get an oval hole I would definitely look into one like yours!

Bob Buckingham
Jan-04-2019, 9:28am
Very nice playing and a sweet sounding mandolin too. Good luck, that's a lot of tunes in one year.

Don Grieser
Jan-04-2019, 2:39pm
Looking forward to a tune from you every week! :mandosmiley:

Mark Gunter
Jan-04-2019, 4:07pm
Wow, impressive undertaking, Jill! Looking forward to watching for this. Great job on that one, your triplets always amaze me. And the Girouard is sounding fabulous!

Jill McAuley
Jan-04-2019, 5:56pm
Thanks for the kind words folks - I had actually contemplated doing a Tune-A- DAY project and would have done so if I had a way to leave my recording gear set up permanently but tiny apartment living with 3 dogs does not allow for that kind of luxury!

Jill McAuley
Jan-10-2019, 2:40pm
Week 2: A reel called "The Duke of Leinster":

qzqxlfRYH6c

BJ O'Day
Jan-10-2019, 8:05pm
Nice playing, thanks for sharing. I'll be looking for your posts each week.
BJ

Gary Leonard
Jan-10-2019, 8:37pm
Thanks Jill, nice playing, and great sound on that oval. Now you have me looking into a Girouard oval hole!

What strings do you have on it?

Mark Gunter
Jan-10-2019, 10:11pm
Good stuff, Jill!

crisscross
Jan-10-2019, 10:50pm
Fine sounding mandolin and great playing!
You really nail those picked triplets!

Jill McAuley
Jan-11-2019, 1:29pm
Thanks everyone!

Gary: It's strung up with Curt Mangan Bluegrass mediums.

pops1
Jan-11-2019, 1:52pm
Nice sounding mandolin Jill, great playing also.

Jill McAuley
Jan-18-2019, 10:44pm
Week 3 - a reel called "Coleman's Cross", short and sweet!

xKyfewdsrLo

yankees1
Jan-19-2019, 6:19am
You're my new favorite player !! :) Still using that BC TPR35 pick ? How about Woodchoppers Breakdown ?

Jill McAuley
Jan-19-2019, 12:09pm
You're my new favorite player !! :) Still using that BC TPR35 pick ? How about Woodchoppers Breakdown ?

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I'm still using the TPR35. I sometimes switch between it and a Kenny Smith 35 - the KS35 is tiny but gets great tone, some days my preference is for the feel of holding a bigger pick and some days I like how with the Kenny Smith 35 it almost feels like you're not holding anything!

yankees1
Jan-24-2019, 5:11am
Woodchoppers breakdown ? ����

Jill McAuley
Jan-25-2019, 1:11pm
Woodchoppers breakdown ? ����

Ah, I'm kind of using this project to add to my irish trad repertoire as I didn't learn as many tunes last year as I had originally intended to, so this will be an all ITM project - sorry!

Charles E.
Jan-25-2019, 1:53pm
Whatever you decide to throw at us is fine by me Jill! Love your playing, love that Girouard. :)

yankees1
Jan-25-2019, 9:33pm
[QUOTE=Jill McAuley;1697621]Ah, I'm kind of using this project to add to my irish trad repertoire as I didn't learn as many tunes last year as I had originally intended to, so this will be an all ITM project - Sorry---I thought this song was an Irish traditional song or had Irish roots so I was wrong !

CES
Jan-25-2019, 10:25pm
Awesome, Jill, thank you!

Jill McAuley
Jan-29-2019, 12:24am
Bah - late with Week 4's tune because last week was crazy, but here 'tis! Week 5 tune coming up on Thursday or Friday! This is a jig called "Creeping Docken", that goes well played after "Peter Byrne's Fancy", which was my Week 1 tune!

jcgYZqE4VXo

Jill McAuley
Jan-31-2019, 8:02pm
Week 5 - a great reel called "The Maple Leaf", composed by the late Darach de Brún:

N0BnG23GqII

Don Grieser
Jan-31-2019, 9:01pm
OK, that mandolin had a great voice brand new, but to my ear, it's developed a whole lot by this tune. It sounds incredible. And your playing does too. Please keep this going--best thead on the cafe. :mandosmiley:

Jill McAuley
Feb-01-2019, 12:09am
OK, that mandolin had a great voice brand new, but to my ear, it's developed a whole lot by this tune. It sounds incredible. And your playing does too. Please keep this going--best thead on the cafe. :mandosmiley:

Ah, cheers Don, you're too kind! I'm so enjoying putting the mileage on this mandolin!

HonketyHank
Feb-01-2019, 12:42am
Wow. How could I have missed this thread so far? Good stuff, great playing, and a really nice sounding mandolin.

Jill McAuley
Feb-08-2019, 12:07pm
Week 6's tune is a reel called "Donald Blue":

Pb3Aj9dDKwI

Jill McAuley
Feb-15-2019, 3:08pm
Here's a Paddy O'Brien's Hornpipe for my week 7 tune of the Tune-A-Week project, only played it once through because not much memory left on the camera:

nWbUtrw3mUE

Don Grieser
Feb-19-2019, 7:57pm
Having a new tune from you every week on that wonderful mandolin makes me very happy.

Jill McAuley
Feb-19-2019, 11:58pm
Having a new tune from you every week on that wonderful mandolin makes me very happy.

Cheers Don! You're too kind!

John Kelly
Feb-20-2019, 6:17am
What a great project to undertake, Jill. I am sure you will see it through, much to the delight of all of us who listen to you regularly. :mandosmiley:

Jill McAuley
Feb-22-2019, 3:40am
Week 8 of the 2019 Tune-A-Week project, a great jig I learnt recently from Angela Usher, "The Old Geese in the Bog":

XmlJRudqPfk

Jill McAuley
Mar-02-2019, 3:10am
Week 9's tune is a great jig learnt from Angela Usher, off of Mike McGoldrick's "Aurora" album, "Christy's Carrots":

54LK888BBkA

Jill McAuley
Mar-12-2019, 5:26pm
Last week was mad busy so I'm a wee bit late getting up Week 10's tune for my 2019 Tune A Week Project - here 'tis: a Frankie Gavin reel called "Alice's Reel", learnt recently at Marla Fibish's Winter Mandolin Intensive. Week 11 tune coming up on Friday!

pT_LyVFmzXk

John Kelly
Mar-13-2019, 5:13am
Project going well, Jill. Geat sound from that mando.

yankees1
Mar-13-2019, 12:12pm
Jill, How do you learn all these songs so quick ??? It takes me a LONG time to learn one new song ! Let's see, there is something called talent and youth ! :) I lack both !

Jill McAuley
Mar-15-2019, 1:35am
Determined to not be late this week! Here's Week 11's tune for the Tune A Week project - a Mike McGoldrick jig called "Lost in Blackstick":

tPIK_796K1o

oliverkollar
Mar-15-2019, 12:26pm
Sounds excellent!

Keep em' coming...

yankees1
Mar-15-2019, 9:49pm
Determined to not be late this week! Here's Week 11's tune for the Tune A Week project - a Mike McGoldrick jig called "Lost in Blackstick":

tPIK_796K1o You are amazing Jill !

Brian560
Mar-15-2019, 10:04pm
They sound great Jill. I am amazed at how fluid your playing is, and that you can post a tune every week.

Jill McAuley
Mar-15-2019, 10:52pm
They sound great Jill. I am amazed at how fluid your playing is, and that you can post a tune every week.

Cheers Brian - it's the folks who do Tune-A-Day projects like Fergal Scahill that I'm in awe of! Way too daunting for me to even think about that!

Bogle
Mar-16-2019, 8:44pm
Well done, Jill...and you pull such fantastic tone from your Girouard!

Mark Marino
Mar-18-2019, 3:36pm
Hi Jill, I really like that rendition of Peter Byrnes Fancy! Would you have tab you could share? I found a couple versions online but they are really sparse.

I've decided to do a Tune-A-Week project for 2019! Here is the tune for Week 1, a great wee jig called "Peter Byrne's Fancy":

n936q_Y3MEw

Jill McAuley
Mar-18-2019, 9:48pm
Hi Jill, I really like that rendition of Peter Byrnes Fancy! Would you have tab you could share? I found a couple versions online but they are really sparse.

Hi Mark,
Here's a tabbed version that a guy I know from a Facebook tenor banjo group did from my recording of the tune:

wildpikr
Mar-19-2019, 8:19am
Nice playing, Jill. Your right hand triplets seem so smooth and effortless...I struggle with those. Need more practice I guess.~o) Thanks for posting; this is a good thread to follow!

Mark Marino
Mar-20-2019, 4:53pm
Thanks Jill! That was really helpful. I am skipping most of the two note chords and that’s helping it flow, at least for now (in case anyone else attempts this). Really amazing how fluid your playing is, harder than it initially appeared- thanks so much for posting these and challenging us folks!

Jill McAuley
Mar-22-2019, 1:37pm
Here's the tune for Week 12 - a lovely hornpipe attributed to Junior Crehan, "Nellie Your Favour I'm Afraid I'll Not Gain"

vx_kAP4T8Rs

Charles E.
Mar-22-2019, 1:58pm
Week 9's tune is a great jig learnt from Angela Usher, off of Mike McGoldrick's "Aurora" album, "Christy's Carrots":

54LK888BBkA

Very nice Jill, are there also tunes such as " Annie's Asparagus" or "Betty's Broccoli"? ;)

Jill McAuley
Mar-28-2019, 12:09am
Week 13's tune is a great jig by the Kane Sisters called "Three Deer and a Hare":

EsxiBAY8sDs

yankees1
Mar-28-2019, 5:12am
You are an amazing player Jill ! :)

Charles E.
Mar-28-2019, 1:57pm
Wow, Jill, I really like that tune. Do you know if it has a counterpart in American Old Time?

Mark Gunter
Mar-28-2019, 6:44pm
Wonderful time catching up on your last few weeks' posts, Jill, thank you for the entertainment! I've said it before often, and others have duly noted, your triplets are just awesome. I love to hear your Irish flow through the speakers.

oliverkollar
Mar-28-2019, 7:49pm
your triplets are just awesome.

Super solid!

Sounds great...I really enjoyed this tune.

Jill McAuley
Mar-28-2019, 9:39pm
Wow, Jill, I really like that tune. Do you know if it has a counterpart in American Old Time?

It's an original tune penned by the Kane sisters so probably no counterpart to it in the Old Time repertoire. They play it in a set with another jig they wrote "An Pangur Ban", that I'm also working on.

Charles E.
Mar-29-2019, 7:42am
Thanks Jill, I'll look them both up.

BJ O'Day
Mar-29-2019, 9:41am
That is a beautiful tune Jill. Thanks for sharing it.
BJ

Jill McAuley
Apr-05-2019, 12:45am
Here's a mazurka for ye for Week 14 of the Tune-A-Week project. "Fowley's Mazurka", learnt from my tenor banjo teacher Angela Usher:

2jsfMBZct5Y

John Kelly
Apr-05-2019, 4:04am
Well up to your usual standard, Jill! Great tone and great picking, especially the triplets.

Jill McAuley
Apr-11-2019, 1:14am
Week 15 of the Tune-A-Week project, a great Niall Vallely jig called "Emmett's Hedgehog":

0XB0aePQ0tM

John Kelly
Apr-12-2019, 3:23pm
Another tune well played and delivered. The odyssey continues apace. Congratulations on your efforts.

Jill McAuley
Apr-19-2019, 12:32am
Week 16 of the Tune-A-Week project, a great Paddy O'Brien reel called "Easter Sunday", well timed as Easter is just a few days away!

YEw_Y-aSPtw

Randi Gormley
Apr-19-2019, 8:34am
lovely!

John Kelly
Apr-23-2019, 3:49am
Queen of the triplets strikes again. Interesting progressions in this tune too. Lovely offering, Jill.

Jill McAuley
Apr-23-2019, 10:57pm
Queen of the triplets strikes again. Interesting progressions in this tune too. Lovely offering, Jill.

Cheers John! I do find Paddy O'Brien's tunes to have interesting progressions in them, as do Finbarr Dwyer tunes - perhaps because they were written on the box?

Jill McAuley
Apr-29-2019, 5:54pm
Week 17 of the Tune A Week project - a wee bit late because I have another big project on at the moment (trying to raise money to buy an organic farm back in Ireland to open a farm animal sanctuary!). Here's a jig for ye, by Mike McGoldrick I believe, "Old Rafferty's Apples":

BWs5C5EAeIw

Jill McAuley
May-03-2019, 12:46am
All caught up now - here's the Week 18 tune for the Tune A Week project, a lovely jig by the Kane Sisters, "An Pangur Bán" - the title is taken from an old Irish poem written by a monk about his cat. This one goes well after the Week 13 tune, "Three Deer and a Hare":

I_D1gmvSnQQ

Jill McAuley
May-10-2019, 2:08am
Here's week 19's tune: A reel by Colm O'Donnell - "The Road to Monalea":

DZVw-yQkfFg

Jill McAuley
May-17-2019, 2:40am
Week 20 of the Tune A Week project, haven't run out of tunes yet! This week it's a lovely Ciarán Tourish jig called "Port Chuilinn":

iOO8f8cRU30

John Kelly
May-18-2019, 5:13am
Your usual great tone and very clean playing, Jill. You always make it look so relaxed and easy yet we know that nailing the triplets and other wee bits can be so demanding!

Jill McAuley
May-18-2019, 6:21pm
Your usual great tone and very clean playing, Jill. You always make it look so relaxed and easy yet we know that nailing the triplets and other wee bits can be so demanding!

Cheers John! I think that recording tunes so regularly is really helping me relax more when the camera is on!

Jill McAuley
May-28-2019, 12:15am
Week 21 is a wee bit late, here's a nice Finbarr Dwyer reel for ye all, "The Kylebrack Rambler":

Zttn2Z2cC34

Jill McAuley
May-31-2019, 12:50am
Catching up now, so here's the tune for Week 22, a jig called "Sean McGlynn's":

VEKmdQTozpE

John Kelly
May-31-2019, 10:38am
Two tunes in three days! You are pushing the bar even higher for yourself here, Jill. Lovely playing again.

Jill McAuley
Jun-01-2019, 11:41am
Two tunes in three days! You are pushing the bar even higher for yourself here, Jill. Lovely playing again.

Cheers John - so far been able to keep the pace up - may get a bit more challenging at the end of June as there's a slight chance that I'll be heading home to Ireland for a few weeks. Won't have the mandolin with me, but will have a banjo so it and dodgy phone video footage may have to stand in for the mandolin and the nice video camera for awhile!

John Kelly
Jun-01-2019, 12:35pm
Cheers John - so far been able to keep the pace up - may get a bit more challenging at the end of June as there's a slight chance that I'll be heading home to Ireland for a few weeks. Won't have the mandolin with me, but will have a banjo so it and dodgy phone video footage may have to stand in for the mandolin and the nice video camera for awhile!

But I bet you will manage to get something posted. The Irish air, if not the Guinness, will inspire you! :whistling:

Jill McAuley
Jun-08-2019, 1:22am
Week 23 of the Tune A Week project, had to do a Paddy Fahey (RIP) tune after the sad news this week - a reel for ye, "Paddy Fahey's No. 14":

flMrotN_Z0U

John Bertotti
Jun-08-2019, 6:29am
I was watching your thumb, in the video, it seems there is a fair amount of thumb and possibly forefinger movement in using the pick. Is it the vid or do you use your fingers a lot to move the pick? I have been trying not to use my thumb and finger. It seems to me it is always said to use the wrist. I think since I have started using less finger movement and more wrist things have slowed down a lot. Just curious I am starting to wonder if there is no right way but the way that works best for each individual. Thanks!

John Bertotti
Jun-08-2019, 8:27am
Cheers Brian - it's the folks who do Tune-A-Day projects like Fergal Scahill that I'm in awe of! Way too daunting for me to even think about that!

A tune a day is currently beyond my comprehension a tune a week is incredible. I haven’t even need able to get to a tune a month, yet! I hope it gets better as wrists and finger loosen up and my brain starts remembering!

At the end of your tune a week we should have a giant vote for our favorite one done over the course of your posts. I don’t know about anyone else but I would be curious to see what are some of the favorites. Out of all the ones you have allocated so far so you have a favorite?

Jill McAuley
Jun-08-2019, 11:51am
I was watching your thumb, in the video, it seems there is a fair amount of thumb and possibly forefinger movement in using the pick. Is it the vid or do you use your fingers a lot to move the pick? I have been trying not to use my thumb and finger. It seems to me it is always said to use the wrist. I think since I have started using less finger movement and more wrist things have slowed down a lot. Just curious I am starting to wonder if there is no right way but the way that works best for each individual. Thanks!

I think the thumb movement would be some of my tenor banjo technique overlapping here - it's something I'm actually trying to eliminate from my mandolin playing but it's proving difficult since the tenor banjo is my primary instrument. I definitely wouldn't be emulating it!

Jill McAuley
Jun-08-2019, 11:55am
A tune a day is currently beyond my comprehension a tune a week is incredible. I haven’t even need able to get to a tune a month, yet! I hope it gets better as wrists and finger loosen up and my brain starts remembering!

At the end of your tune a week we should have a giant vote for our favorite one done over the course of your posts. I don’t know about anyone else but I would be curious to see what are some of the favorites. Out of all the ones you have allocated so far so you have a favorite?

Difficult to choose a favourite amongst them, but I definitely love the two jigs by the Kane sisters "Three Deer and a Hare" and Pangur Ban" - from the moment I heard those tunes I wanted to learn them so the Tune a Week was a great motivator for me to finally get around to doing so!

John Bertotti
Jun-08-2019, 12:30pm
I liked Creeping Docken, The Maple Leaf, and Paddy O'Brien's hornpipe the best of the first page.
And onto the second I agree Three Deer and a Hare, is great, and I liked Fowley's Mazurka, and and and, I can't just pick one.
I hope you put up a download of all these at the end of your posts. I drive a lot it would make a nice playlist.

Thanks!

Jill McAuley
Jun-15-2019, 12:41am
Week 24's tune: a reel called "Paddy Kelly's", learnt off of Peter Carberry's album "Traditional Irish Music from Co. Longford":

yoKA-fzW8W8

John Bertotti
Jun-15-2019, 12:55am
Very nice again and it sounds like a fun tune as well. Which brings me to another question or two.

We all have our favorite songs but do you find any of these so far more fun to play than the others?

Do you have any original, created by Jill songs to share?

Thanks!

Jill McAuley
Jun-15-2019, 12:05pm
Very nice again and it sounds like a fun tune as well. Which brings me to another question or two.

We all have our favorite songs but do you find any of these so far more fun to play than the others?

Do you have any original, created by Jill songs to share?

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words John. I definitely find this one to be a fun tune to play. I think all the tunes I've posted for this project are fun to play - that's one of the things that draws me to them. I'll usually have one particular tune in my repertoire that I particularly favour, but then another one will cycle in to take it's place. Paddy Kelly's had definitely been on the favourite list since learning it.

No original Jill tunes yet but that's definitely something I want to try my hand at - maybe that will be next year's project, though I might need to space it out to an Original Tune a Month or Original Tune a Season (Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall) - definitely wouldn't be able to keep up a Tune a Week pace for that!

John Kelly
Jun-15-2019, 12:32pm
Another fine rendition, Jill. Such clean playing, but still you get something of you into the tunes.

Jill McAuley
Jun-21-2019, 12:54am
Week 25 for the Tune A Week Project - a lovely four part jig called "Kit O'Mahoney's", but I only played it once through because I wasn't quite confident of getting through all four parts again without making a mistake!

Yx6_aeYZ3v4

John Kelly
Jun-21-2019, 5:10am
Yet another little gem, Jill. Those triplet ornaments are so beautifully played. I agree with you about 4-parters - we have that with so many of our Scottish pipe marches where it is so easy to mix the parts around - and this from an instrument that only has a range of nine notes!

wildpikr
Jun-21-2019, 8:10am
Week 25 for the Tune A Week Project - a lovely four part jig called "Kit O'Mahoney's", but I only played it once through because I wasn't quite confident of getting through all four parts again without making a mistake!

Another nice tune...but I wouldn't look at it as making a mistake - you're improvising!:grin:

Thanks for posting...

Simon DS
Jun-21-2019, 3:17pm
Jill McAuley: “...but I only played it once through because I wasn't quite confident of getting through all four parts again without making a mistake!”

-no problem, you play it through once, I play the vid through four times.

Jill McAuley
Jun-29-2019, 1:33am
Week 26 - halfway thru the year, just another 26 weeks to go! Here's a short and sweet jig for ye, "The Stolen Purse":

1YTSPK9-mzQ

Harley Marty
Jun-29-2019, 2:01am
Nice! & I enjoyed hearing it on the banjo. What's the greater challenge knowing the tunes or knowing the names of the tunes?

John Bertotti
Jun-29-2019, 6:54am
I have actually been watching to see when you posted next. Thanks again! I find myself looking forward to these vid posts. For me it’s like when I was a kid and had to wait for the next episode of some show on tv that came on once a week! I will honestly miss this if you stop at 52. What would be cool and just a thought but hearing you go through all of these a second year. I am curious how or if they would change and for some hearing all the parts through.

Jill McAuley
Jun-29-2019, 12:44pm
Nice! & I enjoyed hearing it on the banjo. What's the greater challenge knowing the tunes or knowing the names of the tunes?

I either remember the tune but forget the name of it or remember the name of it but forget the tune!

Jill McAuley
Jun-29-2019, 12:46pm
I have actually been watching to see when you posted next. Thanks again! I find myself looking forward to these vid posts. For me it’s like when I was a kid and had to wait for the next episode of some show on tv that came on once a week! I will honestly miss this if you stop at 52. What would be cool and just a thought but hearing you go through all of these a second year. I am curious how or if they would change and for some hearing all the parts through.

Cheers John! I'm actually off home to Ireland for a quick visit for a couple of weeks this day next week, may have the banjo with me so will try to keep posting, otherwise I may have to post a glut of "catch up tunes when I get back from my trip! Should be able to squeeze in the tune for Week 27 before I go though!

Harley Marty
Jun-29-2019, 5:03pm
Cheers John! I'm actually off home to Ireland for a quick visit for a couple of weeks this day next week, may have the banjo with me so will try to keep posting, otherwise I may have to post a glut of "catch up tunes when I get back from my trip! Should be able to squeeze in the tune for Week 27 before I go though!

If you're passing through Mullingar you most welcome to use my 16" scale mandolin. I'm through to the Leinster fleadh on Mandolin but I don't think I'll compete in it as I'm through in 10 categories (Tenor banjo, mandolin, button accordion, flute, tin whistle, fiddle, mouth organ, saxophone, newly composed tunes & story telling). I can leave it behind the bar at one of the local pubs & you can drop it in on your way back.

John Bertotti
Jun-29-2019, 5:48pm

Safe travels Jill!

Jill McAuley
Jun-29-2019, 9:39pm
If you're passing through Mullingar you most welcome to use my 16" scale mandolin. I'm through to the Leinster fleadh on Mandolin but I don't think I'll compete in it as I'm through in 10 categories (Tenor banjo, mandolin, button accordion, flute, tin whistle, fiddle, mouth organ, saxophone, newly composed tunes & story telling). I can leave it behind the bar at one of the local pubs & you can drop it in on your way back.

Cheers! I may take you up on that! Best of luck at the Leinster fleadh!

yankees1
Jun-30-2019, 5:10am

Yx6_aeYZ3v4You are amazing Jill ! I wish I had half your ability ! :)

John Kelly
Jun-30-2019, 8:43am
Standard as high as ever here, Jill.
Enjoy your trip home too.

seankeegan
Jun-30-2019, 10:14am
Safe travels Jill. The Girouard is sounding great.

wildpikr
Jul-01-2019, 2:48pm
Another echo: have a good trip. I'm looking forward to your next tune [or tunes] from wherever you might send it...

Scott L
Jul-03-2019, 3:20am
I think the thumb movement would be some of my tenor banjo technique overlapping here - it's something I'm actually trying to eliminate from my mandolin playing but it's proving difficult since the tenor banjo is my primary instrument. I definitely wouldn't be emulating it!

I certainly would like to emulate that!

Harley Marty
Jul-03-2019, 4:59am
Cheers! I may take you up on that! Best of luck at the Leinster fleadh!

No worries Jill I pm'd you yesterday with my contacts. I definitely won't be competing in mandolin, just looked up the timetable & I'm down for 7 categories at the same time with one being in a different venue or town! You can also have a tenor guitar the play around with for your stay here, would you like a fast or a slow one :-):mandosmiley:

Jill McAuley
Jul-04-2019, 3:20pm
Cheers Marty - it looks like my itinerary won't bring me near Mullingar for this visit - will be in Dingle, then up to Clare for stays in Kilkee and Feakle, looking at a few properties up in Carrick on Shannon and then heading back to Dublin via Drogheda to fly back to the States. Thanks for your generous and kind offer!

John Bertotti
Jul-04-2019, 5:12pm
Jill, I hope you are able to share a few pictures of your journey! I have always wanted to go to Ireland if only to get some Kilkenny's Irish Cream ale, a Guinness product I think. Sadly someone told me they stopped making it. Anywho have a great trip!

Jill McAuley
Jul-04-2019, 5:57pm
Jill, I hope you are able to share a few pictures of your journey! I have always wanted to go to Ireland if only to get some Kilkenny's Irish Cream ale, a Guinness product I think. Sadly someone told me they stopped making it. Anywho have a great trip!

Cheers John! I'll definitely share some pix. I'll be in Dublin for a few days before flying back and plan on getting over to the Saturday or Sunday session at The Cobblestone.

Jill McAuley
Jul-05-2019, 1:15am
Somehow managed to squeeze in time between packing to record a tune for Week 27 - a reel written by Josephine Keegan called "The Aughacashel".

jmSk_NBjeFg

seankeegan
Jul-05-2019, 8:21am
Lol, if you're in Drogheda you're very welcome to come 20 mins north and record your tune of the week on my Girouard in my studio. I've even got the same nt5 microphones. :)

Jill McAuley
Jul-05-2019, 11:37am
Lol, if you're in Drogheda you're very welcome to come 20 mins north and record your tune of the week on my Girouard in my studio. I've even got the same nt5 microphones. :)

Cheers Sean, I'll only be passing through to drop me rental car off in Drogheda though, and then on a train down to Dublin!

wildpikr
Jul-08-2019, 8:31am
Nice reel and well-played. I seem to hear what might be influences [at least in the A part of the tune] in another tune that I'm familiar with called "Leather Britches". Thanks for fitting this into your busy itinerary!

Jill McAuley
Jul-27-2019, 10:02pm
Playing catch up after being away for a few weeks! Here's Week 28's tune (late), a nice Paddy O'Brien reel called "Iniscealtra":

MbCRXw53Hxk

And the tune for Week 29 is a jig called "Wallop the Pot Lid" aka "The Mouse in the Cupboard":

NgsfDGkt24c

Jill McAuley
Jul-27-2019, 10:05pm
All caught up now! Here's Week 30's tune - "The Stig Jig" by John McCartin:

XUkWRMkp3bk

Jill McAuley
Jul-27-2019, 10:33pm
No mandolin content as I decided not to bring an instrument with me, but a few pix from me trip:

Somewhere in Clare - had to pull over to take a photo it was such a lovely day, this was near the Burren (I was driving from Lisdoonvarna to Carrick on Shannon that day and did so via the Clare Circuit)

Earlier in my trip I was picking up friends at Cork Airport and took a side trip to Mallow to visit The Donkey Sanctuary (I'm trying to open up a small farm animal sanctuary myself so was interested to see their set up)

The Conor Pass outside of Dingle, Co. Kerry (met up with some friends from the States for a few days and took them here)

The purpose of my trip - looking at properties! This one was in Mayo, I've made an offer on it but not sure if it'll come to anything....

John Bertotti
Jul-27-2019, 11:44pm
I keep playing the last two back to back they seem very very very similar to me.

John Bertotti
Jul-27-2019, 11:45pm
Very open if we were always a bit greener here it would look very similar. Thanks for the pics!

Simon DS
Jul-28-2019, 1:29am
Thanks again Jill for the motivation -your triplets. I like the accompaniment in Stig jig too. Good luck.

Randi Gormley
Jul-28-2019, 7:42pm
Lovely as always. I'll admit to wondering how and where you put your fiddly bits since I haven't known any of the tunes you've posted to compare, but I do know Wallop the Potlid so that was a comparison I could do! Play on!

wildpikr
Jul-29-2019, 7:39am
Welcome back and thanks for posting the tunes!

John Kelly
Jul-29-2019, 8:19am
You seem to have had a good break back in your home country, Jill.
Great tunes once again and a fine effort to catch up so quickly. I especially liked the reel!

Anglocelt
Jul-29-2019, 9:34am
Nice playing Jill. I do like a good mazurka and that is one of the best. On this side of the pond it is usually called the Barnacle Redowa.

Jill McAuley
Aug-03-2019, 12:15am
Week 31's tune is a great Paddy O'Brien reel called "The Swallow's Nest":

tP2pQ8NB4jU

John Bertotti
Aug-03-2019, 4:00am
This one sounds great as well! Did you happen to hear any on your trip you plan to use?

John Kelly
Aug-03-2019, 12:05pm
And still she produces the little gems! :mandosmiley:

Jill McAuley
Aug-03-2019, 12:20pm
This one sounds great as well! Did you happen to hear any on your trip you plan to use?

I heard so many great tunes on me trip, will definitely be learning them and hopefully they'll show up in the Tune-A-Week soon!

John Bertotti
Aug-03-2019, 12:55pm
I am going through and getting all the titles you mention or played. Seems a great way to start a library to learn. In the middle of the prairie, my access to Celtic anything is mostly limited by the region. A few Irish pubs in Sioux Falls but I don't drink much and the potential to lose my job is too great. So the internet rules for my enjoyment of this type of music. Thanks again for putting these up!

Nice avatar picture!

Jill McAuley
Aug-11-2019, 11:47pm
Week 32 - only 20 more weeks to go! Another reel for ye, "The Mossy Banks", goes well after "Iniscealtra", which was an earlier Tune of the Week. It's a three part reel but I only played it through once as wasn't confident of getting through it a second time!

ZIiMPr-awxA

John Bertotti
Aug-12-2019, 1:05am
Wow, how do you learn all these so fast. Most excellent!

Jill McAuley
Aug-12-2019, 10:39pm
Wow, how do you learn all these so fast. Most excellent!

I've usually worked on a tune for a couple of weeks before recording it for the project, so it's a bit like an assembly line!

yankees1
Aug-12-2019, 11:42pm
Wow, how do you learn all these so fast. Most excellent! Talent !

John Bertotti
Aug-13-2019, 6:59pm
I've usually worked on a tune for a couple of weeks before recording it for the project, so it's a bit like an assembly line!

So at any given time you practice some you already know work on one for a future recording then throw another new one in! I have troubles with just one.

Charles E.
Aug-13-2019, 7:34pm
Holy triplets Batman! :disbelief:

Jill McAuley
Aug-16-2019, 1:13am
Week 33's tune is an Ed Reavy reel called "Maudabawn Chapel", (gotta get some new strings on the mandolin soon!):

JDLjdAPkYQk

John Kelly
Aug-16-2019, 5:12am
Two more fine entries, Jill. Amazing that you have managed not only to keep finding the tunes, but to play them at a consistently very high standard. :mandosmiley:

yankees1
Aug-16-2019, 5:14am
Week 33's tune is an Ed Reavy reel called "Maudabawn Chapel", (gotta get some new strings on the mandolin soon!):

JDLjdAPkYQk Assuming you have CM Bluegrass series strings on your Girouard as this is what Max normally installs on new builds , are you sticking by these or experimenting with others ? I just received CM Monel strings and will give these a try but very happy with the CM Bluegrass series strings on my Girouard oval ! I still always go back to GHS A270's for my Ellis F and A 5 mandolins. Just put CM Monels on my Ellis F5 but jury still out ! :)

John Bertotti
Aug-16-2019, 6:19am
Really nice! I liked that one a lot. If I was the type onget jealous I would be. Dry jealous, but I’m not. Instead You make me want to practice more! Thanks!

Jill McAuley
Aug-16-2019, 2:08pm
Assuming you have CM Bluegrass series strings on your Girouard as this is what Max normally installs on new builds , are you sticking by these or experimenting with others ? I just received CM Monel strings and will give these a try but very happy with the CM Bluegrass series strings on my Girouard oval ! I still always go back to GHS A270's for my Ellis F and A 5 mandolins. Just put CM Monels on my Ellis F5 but jury still out ! :)

Yes, they're the CM Bluegrass strings - I used to use them on my Collings and A-jr. so will definitely be sticking with them!

Jill McAuley
Aug-16-2019, 2:11pm
Two more fine entries, Jill. Amazing that you have managed not only to keep finding the tunes, but to play them at a consistently very high standard. :mandosmiley:

Cheers John! It's definitely helped that I've been taking tenor banjo lessons from Angela Usher since January so I've learnt a ton of tunes from her, and I've also gone back and relearnt tunes I knew ages ago but never got around to recording - this would be one of them - I first learnt this one back in Ireland when I was taking banjo lessons from Angelina Carberry but haven't really played it since then so about 11 years ago!

Randi Gormley
Aug-17-2019, 12:34pm
Fiddler friend of mine who used to run a learning session brought this one to us once upon a time and I've always loved it. Forgot about it over the years, but now I'm up for relearning it -- many thanks!

Jill McAuley
Aug-28-2019, 2:40am
Wee bit late with the tune for Week 34 (which was last week!) - here 'tis: a nice reel called "The Silver Strand":

rplHVjqxFgI

Jill McAuley
Aug-30-2019, 2:45am
Finally caught up - here's the tune for Week 35, a hornpipe called "The Few Bob", a Joe Ryan tune I think:

yZWVUTeLUcA

Jill McAuley
Sep-06-2019, 1:23am
Here's the tune for week 36 - a reel called "Tom Ahearn's":

gUxKbnvZuZk

John Bertotti
Sep-06-2019, 3:14am
Really nice but you left me wanting more!

yankees1
Sep-06-2019, 6:02am
Here's the tune for week 36 - a reel called "Tom Ahearn's":

gUxKbnvZuZk

It still amazes me how you can learn so many tunes so quickly Jill ! :)

Randi Gormley
Sep-06-2019, 9:25am
Very nice -- and the mandolin just sounds sweeter every tune!

John Bertotti
Sep-06-2019, 10:15am
Jill, how many times have you changed strings over the course of the vids and do you remember at which week before or after the vid? Just curious, listening to the first and this last one the differences I hear in tone form then to now if it is just me or related to something else. I like the sound now more so than the first 10 or so vids. They seemed to me to have a bit more of something, I don't know the word to use a bit of edge maybe, that I don't hear now.

Jill McAuley
Sep-06-2019, 12:56pm
Haven't changed strings at all - in fact I'm way overdue for a string change. You may be hearing a difference in sound due to me playing around with mic placement for the first few videos, trying to find the sweet spot between not too close and not too far away.

John Bertotti
Sep-06-2019, 6:17pm
Haven't changed strings at all - in fact I'm way overdue for a string change. You may be hearing a difference in sound due to me playing around with mic placement for the first few videos, trying to find the sweet spot between not too close and not too far away.

HAHA thanks you anticipated my next question about mic placement and even a different room? I thought I saw metion of the interface you used but I haven't found it again.

Jill McAuley
Sep-06-2019, 10:42pm
HAHA thanks you anticipated my next question about mic placement and even a different room? I thought I saw metion of the interface you used but I haven't found it again.

Same room, though I did change the location/angle in the room I was sitting out as it seemed to work out better as far as the acoustics go - I'm in a basement apartment with low ceilings so at the mercy of that environment. I use a Zoom Q8 video camera with two Rode NT3 mics set up - one pointing towards the bridge area and one pointing towards where the neck joins the body.

yankees1
Sep-07-2019, 6:12am
It still amazes me how you can learn so many tunes so quickly Jill ! :) Still using that BC 35 pick ?

John Bertotti
Sep-07-2019, 8:43am
Wow, that Q8 looks pretty handy! Is your sound directly out of the Q8? It sounds really good, if that is straight out of the Q8 it is impressive. I am trying to get better and your replies and vids have been a very good motivator thanks, Jill! Maybe I should ask this in a different thread but I am curious about your triplets. How did you get so darn good at them! Any special exercises that got you going or pushed you on with them or was it all just serious woodshedding?

Jill McAuley
Sep-08-2019, 12:03am
Still using that BC 35 pick ?

Yes, still using a BC TPR35!

Jill McAuley
Sep-08-2019, 12:09am
Wow, that Q8 looks pretty handy! Is your sound directly out of the Q8? It sounds really good, if that is straight out of the Q8 it is impressive. I am trying to get better and your replies and vids have been a very good motivator thanks, Jill! Maybe I should ask this in a different thread but I am curious about your triplets. How did you get so darn good at them! Any special exercises that got you going or pushed you on with them or was it all just serious woodshedding?

I plug the Rode mics into the Q8 - the on board mic is pretty good, but it's even better running your own mics off it.

Regarding the triplets, they always felt really natural for me to play from the get-go. My tenor banjo teacher at the time, Angelina Carberry, had me incorporating them into tunes right from the start, just playing them slowly so they never felt awkward or difficult to play. I used to warm up by playing scales but playing triplets for each note of the scale, and that helped too. The other thing is that folks tend to think that triplets are actually faster then they really are, so they rush them and then their timing gets off. Also it's important that your right hand is relaxed as tension kills triplets dead!

John Kelly
Sep-08-2019, 5:49am
Great advice there, Jill, especially regarding the speed of the triplets. In Scottish music it is tempting to speed the triplets in Strathspeys and in the pipe marches, especially in the 6/8 marches - I know as I have to keep myself in check when playing those tunes! Playing along with fiddlers and for dancers is a big help in getting your timing consistent.

Jill McAuley
Sep-13-2019, 12:55am
Week 37's tune is a lovely jig called "The Maid in the Green":

lfyeMFwLu5c

John Bertotti
Sep-13-2019, 3:07am
I am so jealous of those triplets! Seems I am making no progress at all! But it's a great tune and sounds most excellent! I find I hope you continue to post tunes after this year is over! I am finding I really look forward to the next post. Like when I was a kid waiting for the next episode of some tv show but it would only be on once a week Thanks again!

yankees1
Sep-13-2019, 4:54am
I am so jealous of those triplets! Seems I am making no progress at all! But it's a great tune and sounds most excellent! I find I hope you continue to post tunes after this year is over! I am finding I really look forward to the next post. Like when I was a kid waiting for the next episode of some tv show but it would only be on once a week Thanks again!

I agree and Jill is amazing ! Very talented lady ! A very nice sounding Girouard oval also !

Jill McAuley
Sep-13-2019, 11:58am

Cheers John! If all goes to plan I'll be moving back to Ireland in the early Spring next year - not sure what my internet access will be like (living rurally) but I'm going to try to keep posting tunes, but it might have to be on a monthly basis rather than weekly, as I'll be very busy getting an organic farm/farm animal sanctuary started!

John Bertotti
Sep-13-2019, 3:04pm
Cheers John! If all goes to plan I'll be moving back to Ireland in the early Spring next year - not sure what my internet access will be like (living rurally) but I'm going to try to keep posting tunes, but it might have to be on a monthly basis rather than weekly, as I'll be very busy getting an organic farm/farm animal sanctuary started!

Sounds like a fun project good luck!

yankees1
Sep-13-2019, 7:51pm

Good luck to you Jill in your Ireland adventure/projects !

John Bertotti
Sep-13-2019, 9:27pm
Jill, I don't know if you ever worked a farm but prepare yourself it is a lot of work! I'm on 5.5 acres and it is non stop. On the other hand, it is a load of fun to just sit on the porch and noodle around and funny how each animal has an instrument it likes or doesn't like. I have cats and some love the mandolin and will come and sit while I play and others shake their heads and leave, but, pull out the Martin 000 and they show up while the others leave. Birds will come and sit depending on the song. Just crazy and cool all at the same time.

Jill McAuley
Sep-13-2019, 10:31pm
Jill, I don't know if you ever worked a farm but prepare yourself it is a lot of work! I'm on 5.5 acres and it is non stop. On the other hand, it is a load of fun to just sit on the porch and noodle around and funny how each animal has an instrument it likes or doesn't like. I have cats and some love the mandolin and will come and sit while I play and others shake their heads and leave, but, pull out the Martin 000 and they show up while the others leave. Birds will come and sit depending on the song. Just crazy and cool all at the same time.

When I was back home in July looking at properties I stayed for a few days with pals in Co. Clare, just outside of Kilkee - we were out behind the cottage playing some tunes one evening and the neighbor's donkeys joined in with us! I think we were playing The Clare Reel!

John Kelly
Sep-14-2019, 5:48pm
What a great piece of playing on that jig, Jill.

Good luck with the new scheme and your return to Ireland in the spring. If you approach it with the same enthusiasm and expertise you devote to your music then I'm sure it will be a great success.

Jill McAuley
Sep-27-2019, 3:54am
Oops, a week late with last week's tune, so here's the tune for Week 38: "The Piper's Chair", a jig learnt at a Marla Fibish workshop earlier this year:

J90u-eUFaWw

And Week 39's tune: "Up and About in the Morning", a jig learnt from Angelina Carberry years ago:

CIS8MGO9ly0

wildpikr
Oct-01-2019, 10:17am
Hi Jill,

Your tunes are beginning to inspire me to try to learn more Celtic music. Are these tunes all played from memory? Is there a written compilation [notation or tab] that can be found?

Thanks again for all the posts!

Jill McAuley
Oct-01-2019, 4:11pm
Hi Jill,

Your tunes are beginning to inspire me to try to learn more Celtic music. Are these tunes all played from memory? Is there a written compilation [notation or tab] that can be found?

Thanks again for all the posts!

Cheers Mike! I play all the tunes I know from memory, and learn them mostly by ear, though I occasionally use ABC's which I look up over on thesession.org (notation can be found there as well).

wildpikr
Oct-01-2019, 4:22pm
Cheers Mike! I play all the tunes I know from memory, and learn them mostly by ear, though I occasionally use ABC's which I look up over on thesession.org (notation can be found there as well).

Thanks for the reply Jill. I've never been to thesession.org - might need to go lurking for awhile. I forgot to mention that I plan on using your videos as tutorials so maybe the learn by ear approach might be better...time will tell.

Jill McAuley
Oct-01-2019, 11:13pm
Thanks for the reply Jill. I've never been to thesession.org - might need to go lurking for awhile. I forgot to mention that I plan on using your videos as tutorials so maybe the learn by ear approach might be better...time will tell.

You can always use the slow down feature on Youtube which I find helpful when learning tunes by ear.

Jill McAuley
Oct-05-2019, 1:45am
Week 40 of the Tune A Week project - only 12 weeks left! Here's a reel for ye, "The Crib of Perches"

3z2p4mp2iWg

Simon DS
Oct-05-2019, 3:39am
Thanks for all your tunes Jill, I’m not sure if I can learn them all but I’ll give The Piper’s Chair a go. Really nice, thanks.

John Bertotti
Oct-05-2019, 10:37am
GREAT! I just realised these are all on youtube so I subscribed. Maybe now I can learn some!

John Bertotti
Oct-05-2019, 6:54pm
Jill you did this last tune on YouTube with a banjo also, what banjo is it? Sounded really good also.

Jill McAuley
Oct-06-2019, 2:06pm
Jill you did this last tune on YouTube with a banjo also, what banjo is it? Sounded really good also.

Cheers John, I have a JP Whitechapel tenor banjo - it's an open back with arch top tone ring(the tone ring is made from bell brass from the now closed Whitechapel foundry in London), made by Jim Patton in Liverpool - awesome banjos, folks like Angela Usher, John Carty, Maggie Carty, Alan Reid and Stevie Dunne play them, hands down the best tenor banjo I've ever played, still can't believe I own one!

John Bertotti
Oct-06-2019, 5:46pm
Cheers John, I have a JP Whitechapel tenor banjo - it's an open back with arch top tone ring(the tone ring is made from bell brass from the now closed Whitechapel foundry in London), made by Jim Patton in Liverpool - awesome banjos, folks like Angela Usher, John Carty, Maggie Carty, Alan Reid and Stevie Dunne play them, hands down the best tenor banjo I've ever played, still can't believe I own one!

I should know better than to ask questions you have just given me
An entirely new subject to research. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a tenor banjo or arched top banjo. I am completely clueless and the ar h top really has my interest! Thanks!

Jill McAuley
Oct-19-2019, 1:22pm
Late with Tune 41 because I've had a poxy cold, so combining it and Tune 42 in the same post - Tune 41 is a reel called "John Brennan's":

jZ1sm1xj4XE

And Tune 42 is short and sweet, a jig called "Jig in A", learnt from Angelina Carberry years ago. I was only able to get through the A and B parts once because they were testing the fire alarms in by building just as I went to record this tune - that means that every minute the alarms sounded for a solid hour!

etgnj81y9g4

John Bertotti
Oct-19-2019, 4:40pm
You did great not a singel sniffle!

Jill McAuley
Oct-25-2019, 12:01am
Here's the Tune for Week 43, a reel called "The Thrush in the Storm":

Re2RIS-mNCc

John Bertotti
Oct-25-2019, 1:16am
Very nice I found it particularly relaxing! Thanks!

John Kelly
Oct-27-2019, 2:22pm
Great playing, Jill. So, only 9 more weeks and tunes to complete your year! It has been a fantastic project and effort on your part.

Now, what do you follow it up with? :confused::mandosmiley:

Jill McAuley
Oct-27-2019, 4:56pm
Great playing, Jill. So, only 9 more weeks and tunes to complete your year! It has been a fantastic project and effort on your part.

Now, what do you follow it up with? :confused::mandosmiley:

Cheers John! I'm chuffed that I've managed to stay the course with the project! As to what to follow it up with, I amn't sure, though I'll probably have to focus all my attention on getting my organic farm/farm animal sanctuary off the ground in 2020, if, fingers crossed, we finally close on the property in the next few weeks! Once I've got the time I may embark on a Tune-A-Month project, with all 12 tunes being original compositions.

John Bertotti
Oct-28-2019, 6:44am
Cheers John! I'm chuffed that I've managed to stay the course with the project! As to what to follow it up with, I amn't sure, though I'll probably have to focus all my attention on getting my organic farm/farm animal sanctuary off the ground in 2020, if, fingers crossed, we finally close on the property in the next few weeks! Once I've got the time I may embark on a Tune-A-Month project, with all 12 tunes being original compositions.

Now those are fine goals worthy of pursuing! Farms critters and music go hand in hand!

wildpikr
Oct-28-2019, 8:50am
Have to agree with John...may your diligence reap reward!

Jill McAuley
Oct-31-2019, 9:12pm
Week 44 of the Tune A Week Project - perfect timing as it's Halloween I've chosen "The Haunted House" a great jig by Vincent Broderick, ghostly lights on the headstock aren't the result of an apparition, it's just the reflection of the vivarium that houses 7 small tree frogs that's right across from me!:

bP5-052AlTs

John Bertotti
Nov-01-2019, 8:35am
Keeping in mind I'm the guy on the outside looking in. I love this one but Haunted House, seems like a worng name to me. When I listened to it I coudl visualize a shepard wandering aorund with his flcok over the hills, literaly this is what comes to my mind. I have no idea how this soung could be related to a haunted house. Nevertheless great tune I loved it!

Maybe you could get your future critters to follow you around while playing this one!

Jill McAuley
Nov-01-2019, 1:15pm
Here's what I found on thesession.org about the tune's background:

"Young lads, Vincent & Peter were out on the bicycle one late night, returning from playing out, when they heard music. Naturally they came to a stop. They were attracted to the sound and searched for it, coming to a large house all lit up and folks could be seen dancing through the windows, all gussied up and in their finery. The two of them paused for awhile to listen and watch the goings on, but they were tired and eventually made their way home. The next day, curious, and not remembering such a place on the way before, a road well travelled by them, they returned. All they could find were ruins, a grand house long gone to ruin.

This tune came on them, so really, there’s almost no claim to it except by those ghosts…"

John Bertotti
Nov-01-2019, 1:43pm
Wow great story! That would make a great Halloween show! Thanks

Jill McAuley
Nov-08-2019, 1:36am
Here's the tune for Week 45 - a great Finbarr Dwyer reel called "The Holly Bush":

MDMHM6e2QGg

wildpikr
Nov-08-2019, 8:31am
Another gem, Jill. Just curious, are you already familiar with these tunes or are you actually learning a new one each week before posting? Whatever the case, they are well executed at a nice toe-tapping tempo...thanks!

John Bertotti
Nov-08-2019, 8:55am
Love it! In a previous post, we discussed your thumb movement. I was curious how it would work out so I have tried it a few times and found it is oddly quickly reactive for instance I think it helps pull off those triplets you have mastered. I am going to play with it a bit more and see what happens. I also have found it tends to help with timing a bit because it is always on a downstroke. I am not good at triplets but here how it seems to have worked out. I perceive that on the first downstroke it lets me react into the move quicker and lets me put a bit more resistance, grip, on the pick for the up and subsequent downstroke. Rather than losing my pick in the strings as has happened before. Yes Yes I have dropped my pick between the strings before then spent a minute fishing it out of the Oval hole, everyone feel free to laugh now because my 2-year-old at the time thought it was funny and started coming over and asking for my pick only to shove it into the oval hole and laugh while I worked on fishing it out. And as any nutty dad would do I laughed with him and gave it to him when he asked again. I digress sorry.

Jill McAuley
Nov-08-2019, 1:50pm
Another gem, Jill. Just curious, are you already familiar with these tunes or are you actually learning a new one each week before posting? Whatever the case, they are well executed at a nice toe-tapping tempo...thanks!

The bulk of these tunes are new ones I've learned with a few here and there being tunes I learned ages ago (like 11 years ago) that dropped off my radar and haven't been played since then - this tune would be in the latter category!

Jill McAuley
Nov-08-2019, 1:52pm
Love it! In a previous post, we discussed your thumb movement. I was curious how it would work out so I have tried it a few times and found it is oddly quickly reactive for instance I think it helps pull off those triplets you have mastered. I am going to play with it a bit more and see what happens. I also have found it tends to help with timing a bit because it is always on a downstroke. I am not good at triplets but here how it seems to have worked out. I perceive that on the first downstroke it lets me react into the move quicker and lets me put a bit more resistance, grip, on the pick for the up and subsequent downstroke. Rather than losing my pick in the strings as has happened before. Yes Yes I have dropped my pick between the strings before then spent a minute fishing it out of the Oval hole, everyone feel free to laugh now because my 2-year-old at the time thought it was funny and started coming over and asking for my pick only to shove it into the oval hole and laugh while I worked on fishing it out. And as any nutty dad would do I laughed with him and gave it to him when he asked again. I digress sorry.

Interesting that it's working for you! I was unaware that I did it at all until Marla Fibish pointed it out to me at a lesson years ago. I've been self-conscious about it ever since, but find it really difficult to try to eliminate that thumb movement from my playing, so at this stage I've kind of resigned meself to it and figure if it isn't impeding my playing then it's all good.

Harley Marty
Nov-09-2019, 3:50am
Interesting that it's working for you! I was unaware that I did it at all until Marla Fibish pointed it out to me at a lesson years ago. I've been self-conscious about it ever since, but find it really difficult to try to eliminate that thumb movement from my playing, so at this stage I've kind of resigned meself to it and figure if it isn't impeding my playing then it's all good.

In Ireland I see lots of players that use that flexible thumb picking style particularly banjo players & nearly all of them are great players! I think it comes from starting off picking tunes rather than starting off strumming chords, plus a bit of the 'monkey see monkey do'. Initial learning remains totally ingrained! Keep up the good work Jill

Jill McAuley
Nov-09-2019, 2:15pm
In Ireland I see lots of players that use that flexible thumb picking style particularly banjo players & nearly all of them are great players! I think it comes from starting off picking tunes rather than starting off strumming chords, plus a bit of the 'monkey see monkey do'. Initial learning remains totally ingrained! Keep up the good work Jill

Cheers Marty!

Jill McAuley
Nov-15-2019, 2:01am
Week 46 (only 6 tunes left!) - a great reel, "The Bird in the Bush"

xgA8iG_qzgg

wildpikr
Nov-15-2019, 10:31am
Looks like you were burning the midnight oil on this one!

Nice tune and thanks for taking the time to post.

Charles E.
Nov-15-2019, 9:59pm
Week 46 (only 6 tunes left!) - a great reel, "The Bird in the Bush"

xgA8iG_qzgg

Very nicley played Jill!,
Is the next tune going to be " Worth two in the hand"? ;)

Randi Gormley
Nov-17-2019, 8:06pm
Fiddler I know plays Dowd's Number 9 and then Bird in the Bush as a set. Nicely done!

Jill McAuley
Nov-24-2019, 12:04am
Here's the tune for Week 47, a lovely wee jig written by Sean Ryan, called "A Thousand Farewells":

LFn8dILmdEw

John Kelly
Nov-24-2019, 11:19am
A great wee jig indeed, Jill!

John Bertotti
Nov-24-2019, 6:22pm
Excellent! Only five more that's kind of sad!

Jill McAuley
Dec-01-2019, 12:28am
Here's Week 48's tune, "The Honeymoon Reel":

wWnSmNgnnOU

John Kelly
Dec-02-2019, 6:06am
Once again, a little gem of a performance, Jill. Those triplets are so clean and precise.

Jim Garber
Dec-02-2019, 11:33am
Lovely playing Jill. I play the old time version of that reel called Crockett's Honeymoon. I like the Irish one, too, and I think the OT is based on that one.

Simon DS
Dec-02-2019, 12:17pm
Yep, inspirational triplets. Well lots of things really.

Jill McAuley
Dec-08-2019, 3:32pm
Tune of the Week Project on hold: Well folks I was so close, only 4 tunes left to complete the project, but yesterday I fell and shattered my left kneecap - surgery likely in the next 10 days or so though god knows how I'll pay for it as I'm one of the many uninsured people living in the States. Am basically immobile as I can't use my left leg at all without excruciating pain occurring so that rules out setting up all my recording gear. Will hopefully wrap up the last four tunes sometime in the New Year, looking at about 8 weeks of recovery time, fingers crossed if no complications.

Harley Marty
Dec-08-2019, 6:10pm
Oh no Jill! That's terrible news.

Jill McAuley
Dec-08-2019, 6:21pm
Oh no Jill! That's terrible news.

Aye, the timing is awful - I'm set to move back home in the Spring - could the knee not have waited til I got back to Ireland to crack in half?!

oliverkollar
Dec-08-2019, 6:42pm
SO sorry that's a huge bummer.....here's to a speedy recovery.

I have really enjoyed ALL the videos this year!

Charles E.
Dec-08-2019, 7:21pm
Tune of the Week Project on hold: Well folks I was so close, only 4 tunes left to complete the project, but yesterday I fell and shattered my left kneecap - surgery likely in the next 10 days or so though god knows how I'll pay for it as I'm one of the many uninsured people living in the States. Am basically immobile as I can't use my left leg at all without excruciating pain occurring so that rules out setting up all my recording gear. Will hopefully wrap up the last four tunes sometime in the New Year, looking at about 8 weeks of recovery time, fingers crossed if no complications.

Jill, that is so sad to hear. I have enjoyed your tunes on that wonderful Girouard mandolin since the beginning. I hope the surgery and rehab goes well. I am in the same boat as you as far as insurance goes, hoping every day things don't go south. Best wishes.

Bill McCall
Dec-08-2019, 7:44pm
That is so terrible. Hope your recovery is uneventful, pain free and swift.

John Bertotti
Dec-08-2019, 9:48pm

That must have been one heck of a fall! Hope you get it sorted quickly! On a bright side you do get to move back home!

wildpikr
Dec-09-2019, 9:11am
Ouch...having endured a couple of knee injuries and surgeries I can empathize...what a setback! Jill, I hope you're able to recover quickly enough for your transition home...thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Randi Gormley
Dec-09-2019, 7:44pm
Sympathies and good wishes to you, for what they're worth. Get better!

Jill McAuley
Dec-09-2019, 8:27pm
Surgery scheduled for Wednesday - hospital doesn't want to wait any longer than that, fingers crossed all goes well. Trying not to think about the cost.....

John Kelly
Dec-10-2019, 6:03am
Jill, so sorry to hear of your misfortune and I know that you will have great support here in the MC where we all enjoy your postings so much. While you convalesce you can practise that great wee tune Banish Misfortune. Hope all goes well with the surgery.

maudlin mandolin
Dec-10-2019, 10:32am
Best of luck to you for the operation - get better soon.

Simon DS
Dec-10-2019, 11:40am
Good luck with the operation tomorrow Jill, knees can be very painful, I feel for you.

Just to hopefully make you feel better, I tell you that one time I fell backwards off the (tall) roof of a house/building site in California. I remember falling, thinking, hurry up, let’s get this over with. No insurance.
Bad story, couldn’t call an ambulance or doctor. Walked home half a mile, it took me over an hour with stops.
At one stage a man came out of his house to complain about me lying on his lawn, I just laughed. He was afraid, and I guess thought that I was on drugs and threatened to call the cops.
I couldn’t explain, felt shamed, and moved on.
Terrible back and leg pain, but I knew I had to get home before the swelling built up or I lost consciousness.
Later I realised that at least one vertebrae was fractured. I thought about this, in and out of consciousness for five days, at home in bed. Then I suddenly realised that I wasn’t going to be completely crippled, and would still be able to play guitar. I smiled. My friends brought me food and they started to all eat together in the evenings...

Anyway, all of that to say that three, nearly four weeks later, when my friends saw that I could sort of walk again, they said I was soooo lucky!
Well the luck of the Irish to you too, Jill -you are soooo lucky. Thanks again for all of the wonderful tunes and the dedication.
And I hope you get the care that people deserve.

Jill McAuley
Dec-11-2019, 11:29pm
Made it thru surgery! Home resting now, whew!

John Bertotti
Dec-12-2019, 6:31am
Made it thru surgery! Home resting now, whew!

Good to hear Jill I hope you feel better ASAP! Make sure you follow through with all your PT once it begins and after it’s over, so many people think once physical therapy is over they can call it quits but now that your knee has been worked on keeping it in shape will be very important.

wildpikr
Dec-12-2019, 9:03am
I'll echo John with his good advice. For many of us, time home during any recovery also means time away from work/income...hope you're not badly impacted by this.

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Harley Marty
Dec-26-2019, 5:41am
Well Jill, how's the knee?

Jill McAuley
Dec-26-2019, 9:58am
Well Jill, how's the knee?

Less painful this past week, so that's a good thing! Off out to a follow up appointment later today, where they'll take out the stitches, loosen the hinge on me knee brace a wee bit so that I've got a tiny bit of range of motion and get me started on physical therapy. Am anticipating that the ability to bend me knee a wee bit plus the PT will = pain but will just push thru as I'm desperate to do all the right stuff so I can eventually return to full mobility - being housebound is driving me mad! Hope ye had a lovely Christmas, and all the best for the New Year!

wildpikr
Dec-29-2019, 11:59am
I told my PT throughout the therapy that he was more of a "physical terrorist" [and he laughed because nobody had called him that before], but followed the program and had full recovery both times!

Happy new year!

Harley Marty
Jan-11-2020, 3:45am
How’s our bionic banjo player?

Jill McAuley
Jan-11-2020, 1:35pm
Ah, thanks for asking Marty! They took more x-rays at my follow up appointment two weeks ago and the knee looks to be healing well. Stitches are out, but still not starting me on any physiotherapy for at least another 2-3 weeks. I've another follow up appointment in a fortnight. Knee brace now loosened to allow 60 degrees range of motion in the knee though it won't comfortably bend that far yet - I'm still in the 30-40 degree range. But the good news is that I'm basically pain free barring the occasional twinge of nerve pain across the knee. Still on crutches but have a cane ready and waiting for when they give me the all clear to switch to using it. Slowly making progress!

Charles E.
Jan-11-2020, 1:50pm
Good news Jill! Maybe while you are laid up you could write a tune..."The busted patella hornpipe" or "The floor that broke the kneecap". ;)

Wishing you a full recovery!

John Kelly
Jan-11-2020, 3:23pm
Glad you are recovering, if slowly, Jill. Looking forward to your new postings when you are playing-fit again. Are you looking foward to your return to home turf?

Jill McAuley
Jan-11-2020, 3:41pm
Glad you are recovering, if slowly, Jill. Looking forward to your new postings when you are playing-fit again. Are you looking foward to your return to home turf?

Thanks John! Yes, I am SO looking forward to returning home soon - gotta get meself better because there's lots to do in preparation of the move!

John Bertotti
Jan-15-2020, 10:43pm
And you're goal with the animals will need you mobile! I hope you post some critter pics at some point!

Harley Marty
Feb-29-2020, 4:49am
Well Jill how's that knee coming along, you're probably nearly fit for the Olympics now! Or is that the Mandolympics :mandosmiley:

Jill McAuley
Feb-29-2020, 3:56pm
Well Jill how's that knee coming along, you're probably nearly fit for the Olympics now! Or is that the Mandolympics :mandosmiley:

Well I've been going to physical therapy twice a week for a month now, and do the exercises they give me three times a week. When I started my knee had about 30 degrees range of motion and normal range is 130. A month later I'm at 65-70 degrees range of motion. When I started PT 4 weeks ago the physical therapist was a little shocked at what little range I had - the surgeons had anticipated that I'd be at 90 degrees range at my first PT appointment, so way behind their expectations. Nonetheless I can walk around me apartment now without crutches or cane, and can walk outdoors with a cane. I practice walking twice a day and am walking 10-12 blocks each time, including going up and down some of the steeper streets in my neighborhood! So progress, while slow, has definitely been made - I even walked up to the shops yesterday to get the messages in! Normally takes me 30 min to do that, yesterday it took an hour, but I'm not complaining!

I've a follow up appointment on Thursday this week for one last set of x-rays. My physiotherapist wants them to ok me for another month of sessions with her, as she thinks if we do that she can get me up to 90-100 degrees range of motion, meaning I'd no longer need the cane. She doesn't think it's likely I'll get back to 130 degrees, too much scar tissue and progress has been too slow over the past month. It's up to the surgeons to approve or not, and it's probably unlikely as my "emergency" health coverage has expired now, so the rest of the recovery I'll be on me own.

John Kelly
Feb-29-2020, 4:43pm
Sorry to hear you are not progressing as well as you had hoped, or been led to believe, Jill. I'm sure you have the resilience to go on with the recovery yourself, and a lot of folk are sending out the good vibes. Loved your comment about going for the messages - just what we would say over here in Scotland too. Going shopping is just far too posh! Just be careful when you are keeping time on the jigs and reels with that leg!

Jill McAuley
Feb-29-2020, 5:53pm
Sorry to hear you are not progressing as well as you had hoped, or been led to believe, Jill. I'm sure you have the resilience to go on with the recovery yourself, and a lot of folk are sending out the good vibes. Loved your comment about going for the messages - just what we would say over here in Scotland too. Going shopping is just far too posh! Just be careful when you are keeping time on the jigs and reels with that leg!

Cheers, John - despite not having as much range of motion as the doctors thought I would I still feel like I've come on leaps and bounds as I've got so much more of me independence back again, so I'll just keep on with the exercises meself and I reckon I'll get to at least 90 degrees before it's time to head back to Ireland (thinking the move will happen in June).

bigskygirl
Feb-29-2020, 8:38pm
Hi Jill, sorry for the delay in recovery of your knee injury. I struggled thru a knee injury many years ago and it was a long hard road...there is a site called knee guru that was very helpful with info and support. Best of luck with your continued recovery and upcoming move.

Jill McAuley
Mar-01-2020, 7:58pm
Hi Jill, sorry for the delay in recovery of your knee injury. I struggled thru a knee injury many years ago and it was a long hard road...there is a site called knee guru that was very helpful with info and support. Best of luck with your continued recovery and upcoming move.

Cheers, definitely going to check that site out!

John Bertotti
Apr-13-2020, 5:50pm
Well I hope that knee is still improving! Must be hard with the limited time to get out now. Hope it doesn't foul up your move back to Ireland as well. I bet your getting a lot of practice in though!

Jill McAuley
Apr-14-2020, 12:56am
Well I hope that knee is still improving! Must be hard with the limited time to get out now. Hope it doesn't foul up your move back to Ireland as well. I bet your getting a lot of practice in though!

Thanks for asking John! What with the shelter in place order here in SF I wasn't able to continue physiotherapy, so my last session was about 4-5 weeks ago. I've kept up with the exercises at home and get out for a walk once a day. The knee has a wee bit more range of motion (about 70-75 degrees now I reckon) but I'm not hopeful of getting anything more than that back at this stage. Right now I'm just focusing on staying healthy and getting prepared for the move back home, fingers crossed it will still happen as planned in June. Definitely getting a lot of playing done in the meantime! Hope you are yours are staying well and safe!

John Kelly
Apr-14-2020, 4:55am
Good to hear you are doing as well as you can, Jill, in the current circumstances. Your playing will be a great lift to you at present (and always). Let's hope that it is not too long before you can, in the words of an Irish song, "Go back again to Ireland.." but not, I hope, at "the closing of your days"! ;)

John Bertotti
Apr-14-2020, 12:51pm
Well sort of good news. Keep at the knee you can get it back but it will take some work and a lot of stretching. As to playing I haven't doen a whole lot of any over the last 8 months just to busy and now that my company has us home I am workign feverishly on remodleing my hosue so I can refinace. I am working play time in thogh because I am slowly getting burned out. I tend to lose track of the days and work every one at all hours. Need to be more mindful of this for sure. Good luck on the relocation I sure hope it still owrks out wel for you and I hope we don't lose you here! Stay in touch!

Louise NM
Apr-14-2020, 12:56pm
As the veteran of more than my share of orthopedic surgeries, it seems like it takes a full year to heal completely. You will probably end up with quite a bit more than 70° of flex, but it may take awhile.

Jill McAuley
Apr-15-2020, 1:18pm
As the veteran of more than my share of orthopedic surgeries, it seems like it takes a full year to heal completely. You will probably end up with quite a bit more than 70° of flex, but it may take awhile.

I hope you're right but my surgeon and physiotherapist both said that due to the fact that I've developed arthrofibrosis (my kneecap is completely surrounded by dense scar tissue that has proved extremely difficult to break up) I'll likely have limited range of motion in that knee unless they either 1) attempt "manipulation under anesthetic" - putting me under so that they can force the knee to bend or 2) Surgery to remove the scar tissue. Neither option is a possibility for me as I'm uninsured and only received temporary "emergency" coverage (now expired) for my knee surgery from the state. Even if I was covered, having read up on both options I'm not sure I'd be willing to take the risk involved with either - I've gotten a huge amount of independence back and am unwilling to risk losing that if either procedure didn't go as planned.

Simon DS
Apr-13-2022, 9:56pm
Hope you’re doing well, Jill. Great ressource, thanks.