PDA

View Full Version : I’d rather have Jesus

Jesse Kinman
Dec-11-2018, 8:52pm
Here’s “I’d rather have Jesus” on my Kentucky KM900 mandolin.
New strings, it sounded so good I wanted to record something, hope you like it.
5xNBvtn0y-w
https://youtu.be/5xNBvtn0y-w

bbcee
Dec-12-2018, 6:00am
A beautiful version on a nice-sounding mandolin! Thanks for posting.

Mark Gunter
Dec-12-2018, 8:48am
Very nicely done.

5xNBvtn0y-w

Skip Kelley
Dec-12-2018, 9:47am
Nice picking Jesse! Nice fat tone coming out of that mandolin! That was a fine way for me to start my day!

soliver
Dec-12-2018, 10:23am
That was great, Jesse!... Did you work off any sheet music or did you come up with that version all yourself?

Jesse Kinman
Dec-12-2018, 1:23pm
Thank y’all very much!

Nice picking Jesse! Nice fat tone coming out of that mandolin! That was a fine way for me to start my day!

Thanks Skip, the tone on this mandolin is just getting better and better, it’s taken me a bit to get used to the setup(flat board with tiny frets), still don’t like it, I will be refretting it soon with guitar frets, but the tone is really nice, no complaints there!

That was great, Jesse!... Did you work off any sheet music or did you come up with that version all yourself?

No sheet music, I picked this out by ear based on what I remember Ben Rochester’s version sounding like. I had not heard his version in a couple years until this morning, I found it on YouTube.
I filled in by ear the part he doesn’t play, still have a bit of practice to get it as clean sounding as him though.
he is a multitalented musician, plays all of the bluegrass instruments really well, he even made an acoustic album with just him playing the mandolin, guitar, banjo, bass, dobro, fiddle and harmonica...
https://youtu.be/TkpcQMTmLuA

soliver
Dec-12-2018, 8:33pm
I hear the similarity!... Your picking is outstanding Jesse!... Much appreciated!

Jim Parriott
Dec-12-2018, 8:37pm
Sweet. Thank you.

Stacey Morris
Dec-13-2018, 9:06pm
A liked the way your mandolin sounds, Jesse. Great job on I'd Rather Have Jesus! I really liked it!

Jess L.
Dec-13-2018, 9:15pm
Here’s “I’d rather have Jesus” on my Kentucky KM900 mandolin.
New strings, it sounded so good I wanted to record something, hope you like it.

Nice! :mandosmiley: I really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting. :)

carleshicks
Dec-26-2018, 6:07am
That was incredible. I love it.

Northwest Steve
Dec-26-2018, 2:27pm
Nice job.

samlyman
Dec-26-2018, 4:55pm
That's great Jesse! I cannot imagine any mandolin sounding better! Congrats on the fine picking and nice mando.

lflngpicker
Dec-26-2018, 5:33pm
Jesse, Played expertly and your KM900 is as great sounding as anything I have heard. I couldn't help hear the inspiring lyrics in my head as you played. Great brother!

PH-Mando
Dec-27-2018, 7:51am
That was very nice. Thanks.

Jesse Kinman
Jan-01-2019, 10:51pm
Thank you all very much!
This mandolin in general is on the “dry“ side of the tonal spectrum, I can’t wait to see what my Tyler White will sound like, it will be towards the other side of the spectrum, much more mellow.

Al Trujillo
Jan-07-2019, 11:22pm
That was very, very nice!!