PDA

View Full Version : Is the nut wider on The Loar?

DocT
Dec-05-2018, 4:51am
Hi folks, I have another question. Is the nut wider on The Loar mandolins? I have heard that is true. If so, is it very much wider?

The reason I asked is that I played around with two The Loar mandolins today and they were very comfortable to play, even with my large hands.

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-05-2018, 5:29am
Hi folks, I have another question. Is the nut wider on The Loar mandolins? I have heard that is true. If so, is it very much wider?

The reason I asked is that I played around with two The Loar mandolins today and they were very comfortable to play, even with my large hands.

I just went on their web-site. Arbitrarily looked at the specs for the LM-520, 590, 600 and 700. All were 1 1/8" nuts, which I would call "standard." Described the necks as being, "rounded V profile." Could just be that the profile made them feel more comfortable to you?

Folkmusician.com
Dec-05-2018, 8:01am
All of The Loar's are specced at 1-1/8", but the F styles have consistently run a little wider than that. They also have more girth to the neck than average. Not by much on recent versions. THere are also some differneces between the models. The necks are not identical accross the range.

DocT
Dec-05-2018, 8:58am
Thank you both for the responses. I have a lot to learn.