PDA

View Full Version : PING: Dr. Marc Darrow

jim_n_virginia
Jul-26-2005, 10:36pm
I cruise the Cafe classifieds almost EVERY day drolling over all the great mandolins that I can't afford when it suddenly struck me that I haven't seen an ad from the good Dr. in at least 4 months.

Doc if you can read this, did you give up buying the worlds great mandolins or something? I miss looking at all your Monte's, Gilchrist's and Master models on the classified!

Anyone know what happened to the Doc? Man that guy has owned more mandolins than Mandolin Bros.! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

wallflower
Jul-27-2005, 12:00am
The last I spoke with him he was down to one A model and had moved on to a different instrument (can't remember which one at the moment). #Said he'd had fun exploring the mandolin and was ready to try something different, or something to that effect.

jim_n_virginia
Jul-27-2005, 12:10am
Thanks WF figured it was something like that. Man he bought and sold some of the highest end mandolins you could buy. Masterpieces a lot of them.

Bet the Doc is buying up all the PRE-war Martins or something!

Happy hunting Doc wherever you are! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

evanreilly
Jul-27-2005, 12:30am
I think he was in LA.... Lower Alabama..<G>

evanreilly
Jul-27-2005, 12:34am

dj9124
Jul-27-2005, 1:29am
I think that other instrument that he is exploring is the banjo.

Fred G
Jul-27-2005, 7:29am
the question is after having all those... what did he decide to keep?

pickinNgrinnin
Jul-27-2005, 8:33am
His Rover http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

wallflower
Jul-27-2005, 8:37am
I believe the A model he had at the time was a Kimble. #But he did say that of all the mandolins he'd had, the Nugget was his favorite.

David M.
Jul-27-2005, 9:20am

That's funny. It's where I'm from and we use that one alot http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

acousticphd
Jul-27-2005, 9:38am
I suppose it could have been a 2nd Kimble A. But he bought a Kimble A5 from a guy I know here, and relisted it for sale it within a couple weeks.

You wonder how he could have owned and dealt off those several R. Givens mandos. Those were my drool objects, but not in my pricerange.

kudzugypsy
Jul-27-2005, 11:43am
looks like when the mandolin speculation market runs out of steam, its time to look for better investments. a lot of folks seem to have thought that the prices would keep on doubling every 2 years - that is over. time to put that money into las vegas real estate.

SternART
Jul-27-2005, 12:22pm
Every mando isn't going to double in price.......but I wouldn't be surprised if
the "best" of the next generation of luthier's work wouldn't go up as their quality
& reputation grows. I can think of a few younger luthiers with that potential, as
well as a few established builders, who still represent a great value.

JimRichter
Jul-27-2005, 1:18pm
I suppose it could have been a 2nd Kimble A. #But he bought a Kimble A5 from a guy I know here, and relisted it for sale it within a couple weeks.

You wonder how he could have owned and dealt off those several R. Givens mandos. #Those were my drool objects, but not in my pricerange.
Doc Darrow put that blonde Kimble A up for sale last February. I asked Will (Kimble) about it back at that time. He said that Doc Darrow bought the mandolin to play for awhile while he awaited delivery of two Kimbles he had an order. So it is very likely that Darrow still has a Kimble hanging around.

Jim

Tom C
Jul-27-2005, 1:23pm
Maybe he got corpral tunnel syndrome http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Darryl Wolfe
Jul-27-2005, 1:25pm
last I heard, he was looking for a Loar...namely mine

jim simpson
Jul-27-2005, 5:53pm
I think it was speculated before but does anyone know if the good Doc was/is a picker?

Jim M.
Jul-27-2005, 6:05pm
Yes he is a picker, and a good one at that.

om21ed
Jul-27-2005, 6:24pm
I was hoping he was going to publish a book--his collection with photos, specs, history would have been a pretty addition to the cofee table

Ken Berner
Jul-27-2005, 8:48pm
All right David, where in South Alabama are you from? Doc Darrow is not here. Last time I saw him was on TV (The Learning Channel?) with several colleagues struggling with an elderly male patient. The poor fellow had recently undergone hip-replacement surgery and the hip had become disjointed. All of these medical folks were turning him every way but loose in attempt to fix him manually, and without any medication. I could not bear to watch for the results, but I hope they got the patient fixed up quickly!

mandoman4807
Jul-28-2005, 6:29pm
Dr. Marc has a great looking Collings Winfield guitar up for sale on ebay right now!

Darrell

LAWDOC
Jul-31-2005, 12:16am
THANK YOU ALL FOR THINKING OF ME. MAY AS WELL SEND ME SOME PRAYERS, ALSO, WHILE YOU ARE LOOKING IN ON ME, AND MY LOVE GOES TO YOU ALL.
VERY SIMPLY WHAT HAPPENED IS THAT SCOTT TOLD ME HE WAS GETTING COMPLAINTS FROM SOME OF THE CAFE MEMBERS THAT I WAS USING THE CAFE FOR COMMERCIAL REASONS, AND IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR EVERYONE IF I GOT A WEBSITE INSTEAD TO SELL MY INSTRUMENTS. HE WAS VERY NICE ABOUT IT, AND FINALLY JUST ASKED ME NOT TO LIST MORE THAN ONE INSTRUMENT A DAY SO AS NOT TO TAKE UP ALL THE SPACE ON THE FRONT CLASSIFIED SPACE. I USED TO LIST EVERYTHING AT ONCE. SO THERE WERE ABSOLUTELY NO HARD FEELINGS. I JUST THOUGHT THAT I WAS IRRITATING YOU GUYS, AND STOPPED TRADING. SCOTT ALSO MENTIONED THAT CAPITAL LETTERS MEANT SCREAMING ON THE INTERNET. I DO USE CAPITALS, BUT I'M NOT SCREAMING AT ANYONE; I SIMPLY DON'T HAVE THE BEST VISION, AND I APPRECIATE WHEN OTHERS USE CAPITALS WHEN THEY WRITE TO ME. ANYWAY, I STILL HAVE A KIMBLE AND A SMART A- MODEL, AND A DUDE F MODEL. THE DUDE IS THE FINEST OF ALL THE GREAT MANDOS I HAVE HAD. WHEN WILL KIMBLE GETS THE TIME (NO RUSH AT ALL, WILL, AS I HAVE ENOUGH TO PLAY) HE WILL MAKE ME 2 EXOTIC F-MODELS. SO GOD BLESS SCOTT, AS HE HAS WORKED HARD TO FORM A WONDERFUL COMMUNITY OF MANDO PICKERS, AND I THANK HIM PROFUSELY. I WAS TOLD ABOUT THIS REPARTE BY A COUPLE OF FREINDS, ALTHOUGH I NEVER LOOK AT THE MESSAGE BOARD. SO IF ANYONE WANTS TO CONTACT ME ABOUT ANYTHING: LAWDOC@MARCDARROW.COM
I WISH YOU ALL WELL, AND MAY THE MANDO GOD BE WITH YOU. MARC

wallflower
Jul-31-2005, 1:54am
I guess I stand corrected....

Jonathan James
Jul-31-2005, 7:57am
Personally, I didn't find his use of the classifieds excessive. "Exciting" may be a better word, because whenever he posted, it was AAA stuff!

kudzugypsy
Jul-31-2005, 3:58pm
well this opens up a very interesting topic - from the good dr's post, it seems that this was his first posting on the cafe. so, what is the feedback on a person selling nearly $150,000+ worth of instruments and not even being a contributing member? i'm (hopefully) NOT trying to stir up trouble, as it really doesnt bother me one way or the other, (and NO, i was not one of the dissenters - i liked to see the ads - and its not like you can just go out and buy the kind of stuff he had anywhere else) but i guess scott had a good point and it seems everyone was gentlemanly about it all.

....but should the classifieds be used this way? with no monetary benefit to the cafe for putting it in front of 5,000+ eyeballs?

pickinNgrinnin
Jul-31-2005, 4:08pm
[QUOTE]Personally, I didn't find his use of the classifieds excessive. "Exciting" may be a better word, because whenever he posted, it was AAA stuff!

Agree!

I wonder how many cafe complaints Scott receives on a daily basis? It's likely that a minority group of cafe users log the majority of complaints.

berkeleymando
Jul-31-2005, 4:37pm
I personally loved seeing Dr. Darrow's mandolins listed. What the heck, if you look into his background you will see is a professionally successful person who in all likelihood has just been exploring his sincere interests through top-end buying and selling. I don't think he should be banned from the classifieds.

mando-rando
Jul-31-2005, 5:51pm
I was cruising the Collings forum last nite and saw that Marc Darrow has a Collings Winfield guitar for sale. He does know nice instruments!

Greg Saer
Jul-31-2005, 6:21pm
I liked seeing the Docs classified adds. I bought a mandolin from him and talked to him a few times. A real smart, nice guy, very informative.

fatt-dad
Jul-31-2005, 6:21pm
There seem to be no stated "policy" that you have to be a registered member of the discussion forum to use the classified ads. My first visit to the 'cafe was to place an ad looking for mandolins. It was months later that I got involved in the discussion forum. The thought of "feedback" is truly an ebay term (useful) in my opinion. I would hope that anybody using the classifieds makes personal contact with the seller or buyer in advance of transferring money.

fatt and-selling-out dad

Jim Roberts
Jul-31-2005, 6:43pm
Do you remember the episode of "Sea Hunt" starring Lloyd Bridges where he rescued a dolphin that had been hit by a Russian submarine?

neal
Jul-31-2005, 6:57pm
Kudzu has a point, so does everyone else, but I'd like to see him back, they were mandolins after all... and they gave many an oportunity to look at stuff we wouldn't normally see. #I say let him post. #This is the first place many come to peruse the classifieds and buy good mandolins, and some not as good. #His ads always added a measure of excitement that bad, drawn out ad-copy for just ok mandolins doesn't. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Jim, explain yourself, I can't wait..... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandoman4807
Jul-31-2005, 6:59pm
Personally, I didn't find his use of the classifieds excessive. "Exciting" may be a better word, because whenever he posted, it was AAA stuff!

jjboone101, I agree with you hole heartedly.
The three mandos I bought from Dr. Darrow were top rate. The first one was a Steffey #36, the second was a Bush model. When he was selling his Master Model, He was gracious enough to let me sell back the Bush to help me acquire the awesome Master Model that I still have and cherish to this day!

#Thanks Marc http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Darrell

Scott Tichenor
Jul-31-2005, 9:19pm
Where would I start with all of the misinformed posts in this thread? "He's been banned! He should be allowed! There's an unwritten rule..."

Dr. Darrow was simply asked in a private phone conversation, as have a few other people, to exercise a bit of moderation and to refrain from posting 10 or more classified ads in a row in a single day, and nothing else. His actions from that point on, inclusive of posting improperly skewed details (my opinion) of what should have been a private phone conversation between us, are his own. Carry on.

neal
Jul-31-2005, 9:22pm
Well, there ya go. Fair enough, thanks Scott for clearing it up. Shoulda come in sooner.

LAWDOC
Aug-01-2005, 1:00am
HI: WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE TO THE CAFE? I HAVEN'T KEPT TRACK. MAYBE SCOTT KNOWS THE DOLLAR AMOUNT. I DO HAVE SEVERAL RECEIPTS, AND SOME I NEVER GOT RECEIPTS FOR. I JUST KNOW I MADE ALOT OF PEOPLE HAPPY. THE MOST COMMON RESPONSE I RECEIVED WAS THAT THE MANDO PEOPLE RECEIVED WAS MUCH BETTER THAN THEY ANTICIPATED. MY MANDOS ALMOST ALWAYS WENT TO LARRY BROWN (LA LUTHIER) FOR SET UPS, FRET REPLACEMENTS, ETC, WHATEVER WAS NEEDED. DUDENBOSTEL EVEN DID WORK ON SOME OF MY MANDOS. THE THANKS I RECEIVED CERTAINLY MAKES UP FOR THE CRITICISM I HAVE RECEIVED FROM MEMBERS' CONJECTURE.
ALL BEST...
MARC

evanreilly
Aug-01-2005, 9:10am
The bartender/bouncer sets the rules in his 'Cafe. Works for me.
There have been rowdy customers tossed out....
I've never found the 'Cafe owner to be less than reasonably cordial to the patrons.
There is always another 'Cafe down the street.....

8ch(pl)
Aug-01-2005, 9:36am
It seems to me that a lot of this stems from Dr. Mark having access to a lot of High end mandolins. I don't, I quit school in grade 10 and joined the Navy. I have done well for myself in spite of this. I can see Scott's point about the classifieds and staggering a volume of sales over more than 1 day. I can also see Dr. Darrow's point from his post. What I have difficulty seeing is envious snipes about the unaffordability of the instrument market. Pick what you've got and pick up what you can afford.

jim_n_virginia
Aug-01-2005, 10:06am
#Pick what you've got and pick up what you can afford.
Good advice Glen.

Dr. Darrow has owned and sold mandolins I can only dream of having. BUT... I would NEVER fault him for this. In fact I missed looking at all the great mandolins he sold and hence my original post.

I even talked with the Doc once about a Gibson F-5L he had once (I think it was an F-5L) and he offered me an EXCELLENT deal but sorry to say that I just couldn't come up with that much cash, to many other things to take care of being a single Dad at the time.

I ended up getting a nice Flatiron F style and I don't feel like I "settled" , I feel fortunate to even own it and it sounds better every day! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

pathfinder
Aug-01-2005, 10:25am
Isn't there room here for compromise among two reasonable and reputable men? #Scott has invested much thought in the Cafe's services, including the world's most reputable and comprehensive mandolin marketplace. #

Dr. Darrow is an enthusiast who clearly embraces a 'catch and release' philosophy for highly-prized instruments. #Surely he'd be agreeable to 'trickling' these mandos onto the Classifieds a wee bit more slowly. #He's not obliged to do so, of course, but evidently he's had success selling here in the past. #

And he'd be adding to the pleasure of several thousand pickers who profoundly admire his taste in quality mandolins.

danb
Aug-01-2005, 10:36am
Guys- I think it was just Scott asking him to trickle in the listings.. A lot of the users are one-offs.. the problem is if you get 10 listings from one person all at once, you're bumping the other guy's stuff off the page, so the goal is to keep it coming on a steady trickle so everyone gets as much chance to share in the exposure there. It's more or less a shared resource, and free.. so we try to keep it from being dominated by individual sellers.

JimRichter
Aug-01-2005, 10:43am
Frankly, I think a lot of the mess came when two former Cafe board members--and, as in Harry Potter, they are so horrible as to never being called out by name (at least on the Cafe)--were manipulating the message board to sell items in the Classifieds. Anyone around Summer '04 remembers this mess. It seems that at that time, Scott T. clamped down on the Classifieds guidelines across the board for everyone posting to it. I wouldn't doubt that those who will go unnamed were among the the group complaining about Doc Darrow (How can you tell me to stop posting to the classifieds if Doc Darrow is alllowed to?) But, I can understand fully well the need to make sure everyone who posts to the Classifieds is held to the same rules, especially if you're going to bump someone out of the Cafe for infraction of the rules.

Again, conjecture on my part and I'm sure Scott T. will clear it up if inaccurate. But from someone who has done his own fair share of time on the Message board and trading in the classifieds, it really does feel that this harkens back to the events of last summer (actually, I think we're at the 1 year anniversary. YEAHH!)

Jim

Scott Tichenor
Aug-01-2005, 10:50am
Sorry, Jim, but that information above is plain dead wrong and that's it, and unfair to the people in mention. Period. And I'm not going to use this site for those finger pointing games.

This has become a vanity thread at this point. Now that the Doctor has posted his email address for the community we can all find him and the answer to the original question has been resolved.

The fact remains that I don't allow anyone to post an unusual amount of instruments at once. I handle it privately, and not in public. For 99.99% of the people that use this site it's never been an issue. There's no argument here between anyone. That's just the way it is and it's across the board for everyone.