PDA

View Full Version : Tripoldi Mandolin

Cjconte33
Nov-24-2018, 11:12pm
I have a Tipoldi mandolin from around 1890. I want to know if anyone can tell me anything about it’s history. I can send photos.

brunello97
Nov-28-2018, 10:35pm
Can you post some photos, please, which might help folks respond to your query.

There were a pair of brothers: I Fratelli Tipaldi that made mandolins in NYC during the era you are speaking of.

Not sure if your Tripoldi is a typo, or a blurred label or another name altogether.

Photos would help.

Mick

Jim Garber
Nov-28-2018, 11:34pm
Tipaldi were indeed in NYC. Some labels say they made mandolins but many say on the labels that they were importers of fine Italian mandolins.

brunello97
Nov-29-2018, 3:42pm
Tipaldi were indeed in NYC. Some labels say they made mandolins but many say on the labels that they were importers of fine Italian mandolins.

One of each type label in the post above. ;)

Mick

Mandophile
Jan-20-2020, 11:10am
A 12-string Tipaldi is currently on eBay. (see attached) Since he was a "Spanish Student" member of Curti's group, I'm wondering if Tipaldi built this to imitate the 12-string bandurria. What is the purpose of the third string added to the double courses? Just to produce more volume? I'm puzzled.

Jim Garber
Jan-20-2020, 12:39pm
Yes, more volume for sure. Most serious players would unlikely consider these. Good for strumming I suppose.

The seller's description:

Very rare 12 string Fratelli Tipaldi mandolin. The inside reads FLLI D.E.F. Tipaldi Fabbricanfr di Strumenti armonici Napoli-Pagani. This is a 12 string, birdseye bouts and back, beautiful inlay. As close as I can figure it was made prior to 1850 in Italy, Tipaldi opened a shop in NY about that time. There are a few cracks in the body, looks like they have been there 100 years, plays good! Total length 26 1/2" width 9 1/2" bout 3 3/4" deep. This is the only 12 string I have ever seen. Don't miss out! Bid to own, no reserve. I accept PayPal only and will ship within 2 days of payment received. Thanks for looking!

I highly doubt this flatback mandolin was made in 1850, more likely circa 1900.

A few more photos attached.

Tipaldi family was active in mandolin community in NYC in the early days in US. Mention here from the Guitar Heroes catalog from the Met Museum exhibition a few years back:

Mandophile
Jan-20-2020, 12:52pm
Indeed, the date 1850 is 3-4 decades too early. Tipaldi wasn't in earnest until the mid to late 1880s or early 90s when he was back in Brooklyn. It is a piece of history that should be bought for purposes of a mandolin museum...but that's probably all it's good for unless it's been cared for and played. Thanks for posting the other photos, Jim.

brunello97
Jan-20-2020, 1:53pm
It's pretty cool in a muy funkioso way. Here's a link to the Ebay auction for the Tipaldi Dodici. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-12-string-Tipaldi-mandolin-Napoli-Pagani-FLLI-D-E-F-Strumenti-armonici/233468158001?hash=item365bc96031:g:QzMAAOSwM~deIid 5) The current asking price is on the high side.

The scratch plate suggests a Rorschach Test for divining the inspiration. My two guesses
"(Exxon) Valdez" and "Frankenthaler" both seem rather anachronistic.

Krakatoa?

Mick

Jim Garber
Jan-20-2020, 2:29pm
Thanks, Mick. I meant to post the link to the eBay auction for those interested. There is a mention of Pagani in the eBay listing. Pagani was a music store on Bleecker Street. Sheri has made available lots of their sheet music on her Dropbox site.They also sold instruments under their own brand. Here is another 12 string mandolin with their label, this time a bowlback.

Mandophile
Jan-20-2020, 2:45pm
Thanks for posting the detailed snaps. Indeed, the Pagani label (a Tipaldi retail distributor) was after 1905 and probably closer to 1910. I can see that I'll need to get this into a second edition of HEROES! LOL!

brunello97
Jan-20-2020, 7:00pm
That is a curious looking dodici, Jim. A real hybrid of Italo-American detailing.
My hunch is that those two honking wood screws (or is it three?) in the fretboard aren't original.

Mick