PDA

View Full Version : The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

Mark Gunter
Nov-20-2018, 11:30pm
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and other tales of the old west ...

I watched it this weekend, and about to watch it again. Coen Brothers movies aren't for everyone, granted. I really enjoyed this film. Tim Blake Nelson (who played Delmar in O Brother Where Art Thou) stars in the first vignette as Buster Scruggs. It's a cool musical western farce. I really dig the musical numbers, he kicks it off with Cool Clear Water.

All six vignettes are not musical, but the last one has a cool, abbreviated a capella rendition of The Trooper Cut Down In His Prime, performed by Irishman Brendan Gleeson. That song (in its many forms) is the "original" that morphed into songs like St. James Hospital and Streets of Laredo.

All in all, a cool film for folk who like Coen Brothers stuff.

Jim Garber
Nov-20-2018, 11:40pm
I am a big fan of the Coen Brothers (note spelling without the "h"). I plan to watch The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6412452/) soon.

Mark Gunter
Nov-20-2018, 11:41pm
Ha, thanks for catching my spelling gaff, Jim.

LongBlackVeil
Nov-21-2018, 12:01am
I noticed Randall Collins playing in the saloon in the first act.

I like the idea of short stories on the streaming platform of today. I think it could be done better than the Coen bros. But i really hope others carry it on and expand on it

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-21-2018, 3:32am
From Mark Gunter - " Tim Blake Nelson (who played Delmar in O Brother Where Art Thou) ". ''Oh Brother...." was a superb film & Tim Blake Nelson was awesome " - '' We thought you was a Toad '' !!. He's a heck of a good straight actor as well.

I've seen the 'Buster Scruggs' film mentioned over here - i'll look out for it,
Ivan;)

Cary Fagan
Nov-21-2018, 8:44am
A friend and I have been going to Coen brothers films for fifteen or twenty years and we're going to see Buster in a theatre tonight. Their films always look great on the big screen.

Timbofood
Nov-21-2018, 8:53am
I watched it yesterday, two hours very well spent!
Good for any Western fan! I don’t know if it was Brendan Gleesons actual voice of course but, the song always brings tears to my eyes! I have asked a friend to sing it at my funeral!
It will be a good post turkey coma film! I might have to watch it between today’s projects! Gravy making, stuffing prep, brining of the turkey etc, etc.

Dave Fultz
Nov-21-2018, 9:06am
I loved that movie. Going to see it again, soon. So macabre, so funny, so sad.

RustyMadd
Nov-24-2018, 1:51pm
Well I thought it sucked and was a complete waste of time. If I wish to be fatalistic all I have to do is watch the news. They went from making a wonderful masterpiece of O' Brother to complete nihilistic and fatalistic drivel. But then, I've always been an outlier.

Mark Gunter
Nov-24-2018, 2:16pm
Well I thought it sucked and was a complete waste of time. If I wish to be fatalistic all I have to do is watch the news. They went from making a wonderful masterpiece of O' Brother to complete nihilistic and fatalistic drivel. But then, I've always been an outlier.

Not necessarily an outlier, RM, you may well be in the majority on that assessment. Would be a boring life if we all bore the same opinions. I've seen it twice now, and while I wouldn't consider it their best work, I found a lot of redeeming things about it, personally. Cinematography, dialog, music. And fatalism and nihilism have their place I suppose.

Another of theirs that I always enjoyed was Inside Llewelyn Davis (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2042568/), a Coen Brothers take on the 60s Folk music scene. But many of the folkies I know who lived through that scene in the village cannot stand that movie, either. Loosely fashioned on Dave Van Ronk ... and his widow despises the film.

Mark Gunter
Nov-24-2018, 2:24pm
"Can't no one compel another man to engage in recreation - certainly not a son-of-a-gun as ill-humored as yourself ..."

"I'm not a devious man by nature - but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gotta be downright Archimedean."

Timbofood
Nov-24-2018, 6:10pm
Well, sorry that you have such little affinity for the film, as for “Oh, Brother...” when one begins with an opus from the hand of Homer, one should expect a good story.
The vignettes of the short stories of the West are a completely different animal, Barton Fink was not a genius piece of work from the Coen brothers in my opinion but, I don’t need to rant about it.
But, we are all entitled to our opinions.
Time for turkey soup.

hattio
Nov-24-2018, 8:38pm

I haven't seen Ballad of Buster Scruggs, but is it really darker than Fargo?

stever1422
Nov-24-2018, 8:42pm
I really enjoyed Tom Waits as the prospector

Mark Gunter
Nov-24-2018, 8:52pm

You'll have to see it; no spoilers here hopefully :)

... as for “Oh, Brother...” when one begins with an opus from the hand of Homer, one should expect a good story...

An excellent point! As an aside, I read somewhere that Tim Blake Nelson was the only member of the entire "O Brother ..." cast who had read and was schooled in Homer's Odyssey. He's one well educated, well-spoken and highly talented dude, IMO. I also think it says something about the appreciation of classical literature on the part of some famous thespians that none of the others had ever read Homer.

I just read a bit more about O Brother ... and it seems that no one on the entire set had read Odyssey, including the Coens, except Tim B. Nelson. Just seems odd to me because as a young man I ordered Classics Club books and read Homer, Cicero, Plato, etc. etc. Sometimes I forget how weird I am.

Timbofood
Nov-25-2018, 7:39am

I wouldn’t say “Darker” but, it’s certainly shady.;)

CWRoyds
Nov-25-2018, 8:54pm
I liked some parts, but not all.
I thought the first one was pretty funny, especially making the guy in the bar shoot himself.
The Coen Bros films are always a bit odd, but I like that.

The Coens cast my father-in-law in No Country For Old Men.
He played the gas station attendant in the “coin flip” scene.
I thought that was very cool.

HonketyHank
Nov-26-2018, 12:30am
Just watched. I can say that it left an impression. Definitely. But of just what I am still trying to figure out. Could be that is what I like about it.

Bill Findley
Nov-26-2018, 12:35am
Wow, that was a very scary scene, and as with much of the Coen’s stuff, after I watch it I’m left wondering how the heck they pulled it off.

callmegina
Nov-26-2018, 1:59am
Loved the music in Buster Scruggs, especially when the whole saloon broke into a rousing, dancing gunfighter ballad about the shooting that had just happened. Wickedly funny lyrics.

Dukesdad
Nov-29-2018, 7:41pm

It reminded me of Edgar Allen Poe short stories written in a Western genre. Since I watched the whole thing there must have been something entertaining about it. But, I can't honestly say what it was that was entertaining. Maybe I was just holding out hoping it would get better.

Timbofood
Nov-29-2018, 8:01pm
Nevermind, I liked it, I liked the one man show of Edgar Allen Poe too I was lucky enough to see John Astin to at a tiny high school auditorium too. Intimate format was great.
We all want production in many phases. Some large, some small. That’s life

Jim Garber
Nov-29-2018, 8:34pm
Coens are always an acquired taste. "The Meal Ticket" was horrible on one hand and a brilliantly Grimm-like fairy tale on the other and told completely without any dialog, just the repeated monologue of the performer.

LongBlackVeil
Nov-29-2018, 9:03pm
I liked some parts, but not all.
I thought the first one was pretty funny, especially making the guy in the bar shoot himself.
The Coen Bros films are always a bit odd, but I like that.

The Coens cast my father-in-law in No Country For Old Men.
He played the gas station attendant in the “coin flip” scene.
I thought that was very cool.

wow that was a pretty big part, because i remember exactly who youre talking about

Fretbear
Nov-29-2018, 10:52pm
TBN likes him some music;
He is a self-described Steve Earle "completest", and said he would have been ready to die after getting to sing Jimmy Rodgers' "In The Jailhouse Now" in OBWAT.

Mandobart
Nov-30-2018, 8:59pm
I really enjoyed it. Beautifully shot. Good stories.

Luna Pick
Dec-01-2018, 2:28am
I just finished it a few minutes ago. Still processing and will be for a while, but it's classic Coen Brothers, whatever the heck that is.

Unique vignettes, great acting and characters, tightly shot but still amazing cinematography, distinct stories, off the wall moments. As stated earlier, gritty. And vivid. If a typical Western is a cup of coffee this one is a double espresso.

Paul Kotapish
Dec-02-2018, 12:40am
I enjoyed it, too, in the way I enjoy most Coen Brothers movies: with wonder, humor, and a hint of queasiness.

Paul Brett
Dec-02-2018, 6:06am
I really enjoyed the dark humour and that uneasy feeling I get during most Coen Brothers movies.

With regard to Brendan Gleeson singing, I've heard him and he has a beautiful voice, however this may be of more interest to this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfAYJvalQZY

Mark Gunter
Dec-02-2018, 9:46am
Thanks Paul, enjoyed that video and it looks like Brendan is really into his playing there, obviously he gets great enjoyment from the instrument as we all do. I think it's pretty obvious that Brendan sings his own part in Buster Scruggs movie, in fact, I think I watched an interview recently where one of the Coens mentioned that Brendan sang it. He mentioned that in passing, speaking in the context of how the music for Streets of Laredo was used as a unifying factor, being played in the opening to the movie and the closing, and having been sung a capella by Brendan in the final story.

yankees1
Dec-03-2018, 8:10pm
Stupid stories but------------I really enjoyed them ! What does that say about me ? :)

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-04-2018, 5:15am
It's really nice to know that one of my very favourite actors also plays mandolin,
Ivan;)

JEStanek
Dec-04-2018, 9:09am
Mad Eye has some skills!

Jamie

Lars_quinn
Dec-06-2018, 11:19am
Was a great movie.

UncleDave
Dec-11-2018, 6:19pm
*Spoiler Alert *. “When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings” is a dandy of a duet with TBN and Willie Watson (early Old Crow) written by Rawlings/Welch. I’m working out the mando break for Friday’s jam. The lads, a sick bunch, will love it. http://https://youtu.be/K91etXNIkaY

Mark Gunter
Dec-12-2018, 11:16pm
I've watched the entire film several times, and the first segment numerous times more. Love the music. Your link didn't work for me, here's the "Spurs For Wings" scene embedded.

*SPOILER ALERT* If you haven't seen the movie, you might not want to click the "play" arrow on this!

William Smith
Dec-13-2018, 6:34am
That's pretty sweet, didn't know he played, and plays well! Doesn't actor Peter Skarsguard "I think that's his name" play mandolin also? I liked Buster, pretty twisted but I like twisted.

DougC
Dec-13-2018, 11:38am
I think this movie is remarkable. Dark? Yes, but in an embarrassing way. Funny? Absolutely. But a commentary that, when you think about it, leaves me a bit sick in my stomach. Especially when you consider the lack of compassion for anyone (or anything), other than the 'hero'.

Mark Gunter
Dec-16-2018, 3:15pm
I like the sound his guitar makes when he tosses it around his back ... and the sound his hat makes coming off his head when he checks it for bullet holes ... and the way his wings stroke to the beat in the clip above. Little stuff like that.