PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, more mando purchase advice being requested.

johnwww
Nov-04-2018, 2:16pm
As a newbe to the forums and an Old Time frailing banjo player and recent learning mando player, I have a question or two about mandolins/mandolas.
I currently play a Seagull S8 mandolin which seems adequate and I am enjoying it. But I was thinking of keeping it cross tuned (old timey) and getting a better mandolin or even mandola for normal tuning. I lean toward oval holes and flat tops but I am unsure. I like the idea of the lower pitched mandola but worry about the longer scale and loss of the E string.
The mandolins I am considering: The new Michigan built Northfield Calhoun flat top mandolin, a Wilson Red Valley flat top mandolin, Eastman MD 504 oval carved top mandolin.
The mandolas: Red Valley flat top, Eastman MDA 315 carved top f holes.
Not too excited about Big Muddy or Trinity College.
I have no easy access to play any of these instruments.
Any thoughts or opinions? I know these are a lot of options sorry to be so unfocused.
Thanks in advance.

rcc56
Nov-04-2018, 3:29pm
You might want to also consider a Martin style A oval hole, maybe $800.
If you can spend a little more, the plainer Gibson oval hole A models [with carved top and back] can be found in decent condition starting at about $1000.

Bob A
Nov-04-2018, 4:13pm
Sometimes mandolas get lost in the mix when playing along with a guitar, as it's lower in tone than a mandolin.

fatt-dad
Nov-04-2018, 4:21pm
Flatiron has mandolin, mandolin, bouzouki and maybe mandocello sized flat-tops. The bigger ones are north of a grand. The smaller ones are usually under a grand. Also, don't rule out a teens paddle-head Gibson.

They're all fun though - that's for sure!

f-d

johnwww
Nov-06-2018, 12:13pm
Thanks for your input. So many confections in the candy store.

Doug Brock
Nov-06-2018, 12:58pm
There seems to be lots of love lately for Kentucky's oval-hole A-style KM-272 (or sunburst KM-270). $495 at Elderly with a setup. Might fit with your musical tastes.

Zach Wilson
Nov-06-2018, 1:26pm
I own a Red Valley EM from James Wilson, #210.

It's a fantastic instrument! I ordered it directly from him last year. I had him built it using mahogany for the back and sides, a spruce top, upgraded tailpiece and upgraded Rubner tuners. All of that for under a grand! Came with a simple case as well.

I use it to play Old Time, Hymns, Folk and more. I'd play it at a Blue Grass jam, its definitely load enough, but the BG police would lock me up ;)

The wait was a bit, but it shows in his superior craftsmanship.

Zach.