PDA

View Full Version : string question , but more appropriate

jeffshuniak
Mar-12-2004, 9:15am
ok, you guys may remember, may not, I recieved a kinda bunk order of Mari strings... the A strings constistantly have A strings with a winding that easily easily easily gives , right above the loop. I figured out its the "wrap around" that is very brittle and breaks when it rubbs against the harness thing.
now I do have replacement A strings, Mr Mari mailed to me for free so if I break one today no problem except the time I waste. I buy his strings by the dozen so of course I will run into some bogus strings from time to time, I am not really bothered, he replaced them.

point is... I have a gig tonight I am changing my strings now.... do you think it would be useful to take some sewing thread , and coat the wrapping on the A strings? the problematic one...
so would it benefit me at

Jim Garber
Mar-12-2004, 9:22am
I am not sure what you mean by the "harness thing." Do you mean the tailpiece? If it is rubbing against the metal of the tailpiece put a piece of felt or leather where the problem is. Sewing thread, maybe even dental floss might work also, depending...

Jim

vkioulaphides
Mar-12-2004, 9:24am
You might consider some felt/velvet around the "harness thing" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif I wouldn't bother to wrap anything additional around the strings themselves. Softening/padding the surface(s) on which strings may rub, however, is common practice.

Best of luck on your gig.

Jim Garber
Mar-12-2004, 9:27am
Hey, Victor... great minds run in the same gutter... or something like that. My sediments...er... exactly!

jeffshuniak
Mar-12-2004, 9:28am
before I read you guys' replies, I already started trying this, I didnt think about how I finish knot

jeffshuniak
Mar-12-2004, 9:48am
I dont "get it" james.:( the gutter the sediments. sorry, is that an inside joke or am I mi,ssing something. I dont care if you are poking fun at me, I enjoy that kinda talk.

vkioulaphides
Mar-12-2004, 10:01am
No, Jeff, Jim is certainly not making fun of you. He is —quite hilariously, I think—#paraphrasing the "great minds meet" addage to the "gutter" bit, then aurally modifying the expected "my sentiments, exactly" into "sediments", sediments being, after all, most likely to be found in the bottom of most gutters.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jim Garber
Mar-12-2004, 10:25am
Sorry, Jeff, no offense intended, just some wordplay pointing out that Victor and I basically were typing exactly the same advice at the same time.

Jim

jeffshuniak
Mar-12-2004, 10:55am
FYI, the string wrap around, I cant say it worked, but I can say that it didnt "not" work...
but yes, next time I am going with the felt.. I'll get some this weekend.
I taped the string to my table, then wrapped the thread around it, tied the end to the other end that ws sticking out from underneath the coil.
it took abut 15 minutes, so yeh, waste of time, the felt will be a permanant soluttion