PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky KM-1050 Value

cap217
Oct-19-2018, 9:36pm
Looking for what market value is on a Kentucky 1050. Used, condition has a few smaller dings on the top and one on under the head stock where the G tuner is. Sounds good, plays well. Frets have a few small divots on the E A on the 1-4 frets.

Are these going for $800 - $1000 - $1200 - $1400? I am trying to decide if the condition is worth the price. Id like to get it but if mandolin buyers for my resale will beat me up over these small dings then I dont want to be stuck losing. This is why I am buying used.

Comes with Superior case.

colorado_al
Oct-19-2018, 10:24pm
If you're looking at the one in the Classifieds at $1000, I think that's a good deal. New they are currently $1800-$2000 depending on where you buy.
A good rule of thumb is a good condition used mandolin will be valued at about 2/3 of new. If you turn around and resell it, I wouldn't expect to get more than you paid, sometimes less if it gets more dinged and worn & you'll also have to bear the cost of shipping and fees. Don't buy it to resell, buy it to play.

Folkmusician.com
Oct-20-2018, 11:38am
An average price of $1400-$1500 used (great condition/setup) from a reputable dealer. That would include free shipping and a trial period. Private party should be a little lower, but current list price on these is 3k without a case. Getting one for $800, or $1000 is really pretty crazy with the current retail. If you are, it is just because the used market hasn't quite caught up with the new pricing (it will).

cap217
Oct-20-2018, 3:14pm
Thanks guys. It needs some fret work but seems to be worth it.

Br1ck
Oct-20-2018, 3:49pm
IMHO, a solid buy on probably the best mandolin you can buy without jumping into the Northfield, Weber, etc. market.

Maybe you can get by with a fret dressing or a partial refret. Either way you cant do much better for the cost.

colorado_al
Oct-20-2018, 4:47pm
Or might even get by with no work at all. I'd play it for a week or 2 and see if it really needs work before getting the frets done.