PDA

View Full Version : NMD, Silverangel Econo A

soliver
Oct-18-2018, 12:47pm
Hey all, I apologize, but I'm a little late posting this... Last week I received my custom Silverangel Econo A from Ken Ratcliff. It has a cedar top, 1 piece soft maple back and sides, radiused ebony fretboard, speed neck and an internal K&K Twin installed. It is finished in what ken called "old violin" finish from an instrument he had posted on the MC back in 2016 that I really loved. I had him do a satin finish with the varnish and with the Gold Hardware, it has turned out just loverly!

I chose the woods based off of meeting up with David Mold and trying out his SA,... I loved the deep warm tone it had and had to have mine the same... I think its a little different, but it is still a machine!

I have ordered some black tuner buttons for the Grover Tuners, and hopefully they will fit :)). I've also ordered a non braided Lakota strap and have made a distressed Ebonized Walnut armrest for it and will probably transfer the Tonegard from my Eastman to the SA

If you want to read some of the background on the build thread, check it out here:
https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?141458-Officially-joining-the-Silverangel-Fray

Currently I haven't taken any pics of my own, but here are the ones that Ken sent to me when he finished it:

171962 171963

171964 171965

And here it is in action.

https://youtu.be/Q8m58W4bOmI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8m58W4bOmI

Thanks and enjoy!

Br1ck
Oct-18-2018, 1:00pm
I'll admit to neglecting my SA due to finishing my build and buying an A-1, but I was sitting in the 75 degree mid day sun yesterday out in my garden, playing my SA and marveling at how good it sounded. I haven't played other modest cost mandolins but can't imagine any being better. My friend's Pava is voiced toward favoring the high strings where the SA favors the lower range. The mids are quite similar. They are just different flavors if good.

Northwest Steve
Oct-18-2018, 2:56pm
Great sounding and nice looking mandolin, enjoy it. Those Econo A's are a great deal.

Zach Wilson
Oct-18-2018, 3:19pm
Awesome mandolin! Thanks for the video and pictures. That one looks and sounds rad!

soliver
Oct-18-2018, 3:55pm
I'm very very please with it... it seriously projects like crazy! I don't think I'm going to record in that room of my house again because it really got lost, but as long as it took to get that version of Kentucky Waltz I wasn't going to try again. ... I'm sure there will be more vids to come!

CES
Oct-18-2018, 5:14pm
Beautiful looking and sounding mandolin, Spencer! Ken’s really doing some outstanding work, and has been for years now...still love my 2009!!

KoalaBear
Oct-18-2018, 5:34pm
Great design, wonderful sound Spencer.Happy days ahead.Thank you for the video.

Tan

CES
Oct-18-2018, 6:05pm
And, yes, funny how the camera highlights imperfections you may not even know exist. I send a video of me playing The Old Rugged Cross, which was my dad’s favorite hymn, to my brothers (along with a little toast) to my brothers on the anniversary of his death every year. I play that hymn “perfectly” quite often, but, dang, turn the camera on, and I have to be careful, as the takes end with a toast and a shot of bourbon. Last year turned into the “eff it, I’m 4 shots in and need a nap” video ;)

Tomando
Oct-18-2018, 6:11pm
Soliver, you don’t look ANYTHING like your avatar……… so disappointing. However, that mando is fantastic! I had an opportunity to play one of his a models, a redwood top old wood model. Uniquely great instruments. Enjoy!

soliver
Oct-18-2018, 6:55pm
Soliver, you don’t look ANYTHING like your avatar……… so disappointing. ...

:)) :)) :))
The MC hat covers my antenna.... or at least the high level George Constanta hair-do!!! ... plus my beard is trimmed, LOL!

colorado_al
Oct-18-2018, 7:35pm
Sounding great! Enjoy!

PS- everyone who purchased an arm rest gets to play it one day a year, right?;)

soliver
Oct-18-2018, 8:14pm
I'll refrain from commenting on that, Al :))

Rashi63
Oct-18-2018, 9:53pm
Enjoy!!

My Silverangel El Toro arrived today as well. What beautiful craftsmanship and tone. I can’t get over the sustain and volume of this Mandolin.

Rashi63
Oct-18-2018, 9:55pm
Another pic of this beauty

soliver
Oct-18-2018, 11:02pm
Beautiful Mando Rashi!

Here's a quick shot of the distressed Ebonized Walnut Armrest I'm working on for it...

KoalaBear
Oct-19-2018, 4:10am
Spencer how are you attaching the strap to the SA?

Tan

Johnny60
Oct-19-2018, 7:21am
God, that Silverangel sounds amazing! Such depth of tone! Love it.

Nothing “econo” about it, from what I can see and hear.

Enjoy!

Rashi63
Oct-19-2018, 10:41am
That armrest should be a beautiful addition. The tone of your new SA is awesome.

soliver
Oct-19-2018, 6:03pm
Just watched my video again and realized I forgot the "Y" at the end of Kentucky :))

Dogrich
Oct-20-2018, 8:16am
Beautiful mandolin, Spencer, and great playing/sound! Congratulations!

roysboy
Oct-20-2018, 11:24am
OMG ! I can hardly find a decent mandolin ANYWHERE in my neck of the woods ....the usual Epiphones , Denvers , Eastmans .......then you post THIS video and I'm almost in tears listening to the amazing tone coming from it ....and thats just the video . I can only begin to imagine what that tone must be like sitting in a room listening to or playing it. Just stunning ....and a beautiful finish as well . I'm convinced after years of seeing and listening to posts about the Siverangels here on te Cafe site that they have to be the absolute best bang for your buck if incredible tone is at the top of your list . Enjoy ......

MediumMando5722
Oct-20-2018, 2:45pm
Looks like a really nice instrument, congrats!

Br1ck
Oct-20-2018, 4:00pm
Not only do they sound good, Ken does some of the most lovely relicing work ever, should you chose to partake. I know distressing is not everyone's cup of tea, but my SA is what I would say is mildly distressed, and looks like a very well cared for 20s mandolin.
If you want the all out worn down to wood by 80 years of hard gigging look, he does that too.

But the Econo A is a terrific value and sounds every bit as good, though different, than mandolins that cost a thousand dollars more. I've played mine side by side with the likes of Collings MTs. You might very well like the MT sound, but it's subjective not qualitative.

soliver
Oct-20-2018, 5:06pm
Spencer how are you attaching the strap to the SA?

Tan

Sorry Tan, though I got back to you... I have the strap around the button on the tail end and then tied around the strap button I had Ken put on the heel.

Br1ck, I agree 100% !!!

KoalaBear
Oct-20-2018, 6:30pm
ok Thank you Spencer.

Eric Platt
Oct-21-2018, 7:56am
Congrats. Looks and sounds great. And this coming from a player who's more a fan of oval hole, than F hole mandolins. Seems like it's perfect for you and your playing style. Hopefully this will put MAS at bay for a very long, long time. Well, except for the Flatiron pancake you'll have to buy again now that you have the other keeper. ;)

soliver
Oct-21-2018, 8:45am
HA!... yea... I think I may save up for an arch top oval first

soliver
Oct-21-2018, 5:49pm
The more I'm playing it, the more I'm loving the tone... but just like that first day of a new pair of glasses it is taking a little time to get used to ... gotta hit that sweet spot JUUUUUST right and BOOM it's amazing!

lflngpicker
Oct-22-2018, 3:47pm
Congrats Soliver and Rashi63! Both are so nice. Enjoy in good health!

Bill Kammerzell
Oct-22-2018, 4:50pm
Sounding great! Enjoy!

PS- everyone who purchased an arm rest gets to play it one day a year, right?;)

I just purchased one of Spencer's arm rest and it has become my favorite of the 3 brands of arm rest I own.

soliver
Oct-22-2018, 6:27pm
Thanks Bill! Hope you're enjoying that Collings!...

Will be playing a worship set Thursday morning with the SA!... first time plugged in and debut-ing it to friends!

colorado_al
Oct-22-2018, 11:55pm
I just purchased one of Spencer's arm rest and it has become my favorite of the 3 brands of arm rest I own.

You just earned a day of playing the Silver Angel! Welcome to the club! :mandosmiley:

Spencer, Hope that the debut performance goes great!

soliver
Oct-23-2018, 10:02pm
Had it out for its first BG Jam tonight and he performed like a champ!... great times!

Jim DeSalvio
Oct-24-2018, 3:05pm
I have one from around 2006, and it is the best sounding mandolin I own. Has a very nice vintage vibe.

Congrats on yours. Looks very nice!!

Jim D

soliver
Oct-25-2018, 12:45am
So its been 3+ weeks that the varnish has been curing and I just couldn't wait any longer so I went ahead and mounted both the Tonegard and the newly finished armrest ... also got my Lakota Leather strap in the mail today (wow... super soft!).... Its 1:40 am here and I just put the thing down so I can get some sleep before work... sounds and looks incredible!

Of course the MC will turn the pics sideways :))

soliver
Oct-27-2018, 9:12pm
Met up with a local cafe member on Thursday (Jim aka "usqebach") as we both realized recently that we attend the same church. Had a good hours or so of playing fiddle tunes together, he on his BRW 2 point (just a LOVELY instrument!) and me with the SA... good time indeed! I really loved his mando and the 2 together sounded great and really complimented each other. Its really amazing hearing the 2 sided by side to hear how much low end the SA puts out! Silverangels definitely have a very unique sound!

soliver
Nov-04-2018, 10:55pm
Great results playing in the first worship set for a Sunday service this morning! The SA and its onboard K&K performed outstandingly and garnered many compliments!

Mark Wilson
Nov-05-2018, 10:33am
Met up with a local cafe member on Thursday (Jim aka "usqebach") as we both realized recently that we attend the same church. Had a good hours or so of playing fiddle tunes together, he on his BRW 2 point (just a LOVELY instrument!) and me with the SA... good time indeed!Does it get any better? :mandosmiley:

KoalaBear
Nov-05-2018, 4:40pm
Does it get any better? :mandosmiley:

Yes the arrival of golden yellow Tan `El Fantasma` by Ken to Oz in 2019.

KoalaTan.