PDA

View Full Version : Hearing yourself in a loud jam

bobrem
Oct-15-2018, 3:29pm
Hands down the best personal monitor available. Great for loud jam sessions. Not recommended for vocalists.

jaycat
Oct-15-2018, 5:18pm
Buckethead!

Dan Adams
Oct-15-2018, 6:35pm
The first indicator that a jam is too loud, and probably populated with people unaware of jam etiquette. People can’t hear their own instruments. Then it self perpetuates, people can’t hear and play louder. The eventual ‘Wall of Noise!’

dhergert
Oct-16-2018, 12:22am
Hands down the best personal monitor available. Great for loud jam sessions. Not recommended for vocalists.

I prefer the slightly more stylish 2-gallon galvanized bucket, which also comes with a nice metal chin strap, and of course can double as a private privy if necessary.

I have worn some wide rim hats which actually do echo the sound of an instrument into the ears. But these hats tend to hit things whenever I walk anywhere with them.

Where are the cones of silence when we need them???

Johnny60
Oct-16-2018, 2:00am
Thankfully, all the jams I attend these days are frequented by decent players who understand the need for instruments to be heard, especially in breaks. These are usually “closed” jams. However, I’ve been to some jams in my time that have been wrecked by various individuals who feel that it’s necessary to hammer their instruments so hard that they completely destroy any subtlety and feel.

Perhaps the bucket should be reserved for those players instead?

Don - I hope you clean it out before sticking it on your head! :)

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-16-2018, 2:37am
When i've been in a 'jamming' situation (on banjo) at a festival in the past,mostly,i'm trying to play as i would in a band situation - can i come up with a decent break etc.... ! So, if it's too loud - i take a few steps back into a ''quiet zone'' so to speak, & listen to my playing in the context of what the other guys are playing - does what i'm playing work ?. I'm really not overly concerned about what the others think of my playing,or even if they can hear me or not - i'm trying to play ''to improve - not impress !'' & it'll be the same on mandolin should i ever get the chance ?,:(
Ivan;)

HoGo
Oct-16-2018, 2:51am
Not recommended for vocalists.

I know few vocalists who would benefit from such device. (including myself) :-)

bobrem
Oct-17-2018, 5:11pm
Buckethead!

Actually a lamp shade, so "shady character" more apropos.

Russ Donahue
Oct-25-2018, 6:54am
Of course, in a bluegrass jam, the appropriate question to bear in mind is "What would Bill have worn?" After minutes of search throughout the internet, I have been unable to find photographic evidence to answer the question. HOWEVER, given the widespread use of galvinized buckets - especially in rural areas - I feel it safe to say that the proper personal monitoring device for a bluegrass jam is the aforementioned 2 gallon galvanized bucket as identified by dhergert. Any other choice clearly would be "no part of nothing."
Perhaps the answer is in the new Bill Bible...

Brian Harris
Oct-25-2018, 10:18am
This is probably an unsatisfying response, but when I encounter "bad" jammers I just think, "Okay, here we go... it won't be fun but I'll learn something - just not what I wanted to learn."

And usually you learn what destroys feel, groove, expression, Jamming 101, etc. and exactly how that behavior ruins the groove.

Then I make certain I'm not doing that!

Secondly, there's something to be said for not hearing yourself. I know, sounds crazy, but as an upright player I often don't hear my instrument as well as I'd like. So you develop other senses. Then again, I come from a choral background where you're not always hearing yourself as much as the collective.

RustyMadd
Oct-29-2018, 2:17pm
That's when I like to break out the Binford 6100 Mandoblaster (TM) and peel the paint with a sucky solo. :-) Darn it! I should've learnt me some pickin first. Oh well, it goes to 11. Seriously though, you can always hang back on volume and say something politely next opportunity. Communication comes in many forms.

Blessings