PDA

View Full Version : Larry Rice

Mando4Life
Jul-22-2005, 7:20pm
Just got home from the local record shop. #I picked up a couple of CDs including the new Larry Rice CD. #Gave it a quick scan and I'm totally blown away. #I've heard the Rice Bros before, but this album is top, top notch. #Some excellent singing by Larry and very classy mandolin playing. #Them Rice boys ain't no slackers for sure. Great CD band all around (Rice's, Rickie/Ronnie Simpkins, Jeff Parker, Sammy Shelor). #They do a lot of Larry's tune but cover some classics by Lightfoot, Kuykendall and others.

One of the better CD's I've bought in a long time. #Any one else checked it out yet?

WBL

Rob Wallace
Jul-22-2005, 7:41pm
Thanks for the info. I've been waiting to pick this up as the prior collaborations have been great.

Rob

SternART
Jul-22-2005, 8:11pm
I hear Larry's health problems have greatly improved as well.......good for him!

mandopete
Jul-26-2005, 9:19am
Man this is a great CD! I aired a few cuts on my radio program last week and every one is a gem! There is some nice guitar work from both Wyatt and Tony along with some fine picking and singing from Larry. Larry is also a very fine songwriter.

Scotti Adams
Jul-26-2005, 1:15pm
..I just ordered Larrys new one as well as The Chapmans and Blue Highway's "Marble Town"....I havent gotten any new music in a while...looking forward to some new tunes..

Scotti Adams
Jul-30-2005, 5:28pm
..got it on now..great stuff...I really enjoy listening to Wyatt Rice play.....hes really come into his own ...doing his own thing...

sunburst
Aug-04-2005, 10:33am
OK, I know I'm just being too picky, but didn't anybody at that photo shoot know what poison ivy looks like? Does this bother anybody else other than me? Is it just because I'm a "country boy"?
I hope Larry isn't allergic to poison ivy!

Moose
Aug-04-2005, 12:08pm
YIKES!!!### - Yer' correct!! ya' think it's too late to tell Larry R...!?? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

doc holiday
Aug-28-2005, 4:57pm
After reading this thread I stumbled across a copy of "Cloud Over Carolina" in Rockin' Rudy's on a Montana roadtrip. I was really impressed both with the cd and it's production. Ricky Simpkins is one of my favorite fiddlers and Larry's mandolin playing and tone are a real highlight. I've got the 2 Rice brothers cds and I like the sound of this new one by Larry even more. He does an especially great job on "Little Maggie". This cd played over and over for many hundred miles!!

Regards
Doc

mandopete
Nov-18-2005, 7:42pm
I've been listening to Clouds Over Carolina quite a bit for the past few days and I think this is the best bluegrass recording of 2005! #I really like the character in Larry's voice and all of the picking is superb without be "too much". #

In many ways this recording seems to remind me of Tony Rice's Cold On The Shoulder and I wonder if there was any conscious effort to sound like that recording. #At times I think Sammy Shelor is channeling JD Crowe, anyone else feel this way?

BTW - regarding the photos...they were all taken by brother Tony.

bnjrpkr
Nov-19-2005, 10:06pm
I think this is a great CD too.
I think the reason Sammy might not sound quite like himself is that he probably played the songs 2-3 times before they recorded.Remember,he's probably not that familiar with the material.
If you want to hear Sammy sounding like himself,check out the LRB recordings.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Fretbear
Nov-19-2005, 10:53pm
Larry's playing is impeccable; listen to his turnarounds on Monroe's "Your Drifting Away" from the first Rice Brothers Project...classic...

Steve Farling
Nov-21-2005, 11:52am
Thanks for the tip, this is a great CD! Does anyone know the story on Larry's mandolin? I've never seen a Gibson mandolin with the Gibson guitar logo on it before this. And what about that fretboard?

mandopete
Nov-21-2005, 4:28pm
If you want to hear Sammy sounding like himself,check out the LRB recordings.. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Actually I prefer his playing on this recording to the LRB stuff!

kyblue
Nov-21-2005, 6:14pm
I mentioned to Parker that I don't think I would have recognized his voice (and I know it well) if I hadn't known he was doing the tenor on this CD. He said he fits his singing to the artist and material. I imagine Sammy does the same thing, what fits the material. Sounds awesome however he does it.

mandopete
Nov-23-2005, 11:56am
Hey, my hat's off to both Jeff Parker and Sammy Shelor for blending in. After all, this is Larry Rice's project. That is the mark of a great musician in my book.

The more I listen to this recording, the more I'm reminded of Cold On The Shoulder, which is probably my all-time favorite bluegrass recording