PDA

View Full Version : Late NMD - Silverangel El Fantasma

rowka
Sep-09-2018, 7:42pm
I pulled the trigger on Ken's Sinker Redwood El Fantasma and it arrived last week. I was very excited to open her up and take her for a spin. Everything looked good from the outside. The box survived the shipping from Kentucky to Florida without any damage.

But after tearing through the box and opening the case, I found this:

170949 170950

170951 170952

Luckily I found all the broken pieces. Ken offered to let me return it but I really liked it, so I opted to make the repair myself. A little super glue and a little varnish ...

I present Adele

170953 170954

170955 170956

170957 170958

Br1ck
Sep-09-2018, 7:56pm
Bummer, but that redwood is good looking. Love the Fantasma shape

colorado_al
Sep-09-2018, 8:01pm
Always good to get that first scratch out of the way early! Now you can just play it!
Good on you for keeping the instrument and making the repair. Always a bummer to get merchandise damaged in shipping. Good thing it was it a purely cosmetic location.

Great looking mandolin! Post a sound clip or video when you get a chance.
Thanks!

rowka
Sep-09-2018, 8:22pm
Yeah, it was a bummer. My heart sank. Must have taken quite a jostle in transit. But Ken gave me enough financial incentive to keep it.

And the repair fits right in with the rustic nature of Ken's build.

lflngpicker
Sep-10-2018, 6:29pm
Those mandolins sound great! Congrats. Ken is great to do so well with the compensation. What a pro! Enjoy that tone.

KoalaBear
Sep-11-2018, 3:05am
Those mandolins sound great! Congrats. Ken is great to do so well with the compensation. What a pro! Enjoy that tone.

Hi all have my SA after Ken`s delivery from Kentucky to Australia.Not a scratch on it.Superb design,brilliant sound.Ken`s De Man.

Koala,
one happy owner of a Ken SA Mando.

rowka
Sep-11-2018, 5:52am
Hi all have my SA after Ken`s delivery from Kentucky to Australia.Not a scratch on it.Superb design,brilliant sound.Ken`s De Man.

Koala,
one happy owner of a Ken SA Mando.

Pictures, or it didnít happen. ;)

KoalaBear
Sep-11-2018, 8:03pm
Pictures, or it didn’t happen. ;)

171028 SA by Ken.Killer sound.

KoalaBear
Sep-11-2018, 8:19pm
.....and 171029171029171030

rowka
Sep-11-2018, 8:33pm
Nice!

soliver
Sep-11-2018, 10:57pm
Congrats to both of you!... I'll be placing my order next month!

KoalaBear
Sep-11-2018, 11:20pm
Thank you guys for the appreciation.So happy to have a wonderful SA.Comparing Silverangel to the Kentucky KM150 and the bowl back from Davy Stuart from NZ, it has a knock out sound.Am using the SA for my next CD.Spencer pls prepare the curly walnut armrest for the SA to ship to Australia next week.Payment in your Paypal account within 3 days.

with gratitude for the wonderful comments to Rowka and Spencer......that El Fantasma is absolutely stunning.Enjoy! Any chance of a video?

in Koalaland,

Tani.

KoalaBear
Sep-12-2018, 12:41am
Curious. Rowka what shape neck do you have on the Fantasma?

rowka
Sep-12-2018, 5:37am
It seems a rather hard V. I thought that would be an issue as the Rover I’ve gotten used to is much smaller and rounder.
Turned out it was not an issue.

I did, however, cut a new bone nut to space the courses a bit tighter and re-cut some of the notches on the bridge saddle for the same reason. Made a huge difference under my fingers.

Jim Garber
Sep-12-2018, 9:58am
It looks like the pointy headstock was pretty tight in the case. I wonder if that is what caused the damage. Was there padding on that point in the case when it arrived?

I would imagine that luthiers have to either design for standard cases or else make their own or buy custom ones.

rowka
Sep-12-2018, 10:25am
Yes, I do believe the tight case was a direct contributor.

Jim Garber
Sep-12-2018, 12:49pm
Yes, I do believe the tight case was a direct contributor.

I hope Ken takes that into consideration — to either supply a longer case or perhaps make the headstock slightly shorter. Glad you are happy with the mandolin. It looks wonderful.

kyken
Sep-12-2018, 5:30pm
I hope Ken takes that into consideration — to either supply a longer case or perhaps make the headstock slightly shorter. Glad you are happy with the mandolin. It looks wonderful.

yes, already remedied that. Slightly shorter headstock.