PDA

View Full Version : Tempted by a Gibson 1920 A-3

Capt. E
Sep-06-2018, 1:15pm
Just encountered an excellent condition 1920 Gibson A-3 (all original except for bridge) Also has original hard case. Sat down and played a while...beautiful! One of the best pre-Loar A's I have ever picked up. $2200 + sales tax. I am tempted, but my wife would have a fit. Hmmmm is it worth it? It beat a Gibson F5G and an oval hole Pava which were both about $3200.

Jeff Mando
Sep-06-2018, 2:24pm
How does it compare to your A-2?

Capt. E
Sep-06-2018, 2:42pm
Actually, I feel it is better. Perhaps I should bring my A-2 for another test. And yes, if it is better, I could sell the A-2 (unlikely).

Br1ck
Sep-06-2018, 4:49pm
Is it white? I'm a sucker for that look. But they don't look right unless there is some finish warn off by hundreds of hours of forearm rubbing wear.

Geno
Sep-07-2018, 10:38am
I'm not particularly a fan of the white finish or paddle head, but when I visited Austin in July, that A-3 at Fiddlers Green was my favorite sounding instrument in their mandolin room, and compared favorably to all the old Gibson snakeheads I've owned. I was chomping at the bit to play the Pava oval, since I'm crazy about my f-hole Pava A, but I kept going back to that A-3. I think it's really a good one! Wouldn't it make a nice companion for your A-2?

Br1ck
Sep-07-2018, 12:48pm
Wouldn't it be cool to have an A, anA-1, and an A-4 to go with your A-2 and A-3?

Capt. E
Sep-07-2018, 2:39pm
I'm not particularly a fan of the white finish or paddle head, but when I visited Austin in July, that A-3 at Fiddlers Green was my favorite sounding instrument in their mandolin room, and compared favorably to all the old Gibson snakeheads I've owned. I was chomping at the bit to play the Pava oval, since I'm crazy about my f-hole Pava A, but I kept going back to that A-3. I think it's really a good one! Wouldn't it make a nice companion for your A-2?

That's the one and I agree about the sound from the short tryout. And there is some nice wear on the top where your arm sits. Oh, it really would make a nice companion. I should just whip out the cc and say YES!! I can see myself going to the next jam with the two vintage cases in hand. We'll see. Maybe it won't be there when I return.

dan in va
Sep-07-2018, 4:57pm
Just sayin' -- i've never had any regrets buying an exceptional sounding instrument but have always regretted selling one later. i'm in the hunt for a really good sounding oval hole but the left hand strongly prefers a narrower nut and long neck. Thanks for the thread.

Timbofood
Sep-07-2018, 5:07pm
If it really speaks to you, you should have it! Just do it, you will regret not getting it if you pass! If you decide that another addition to the stable is excessive(tell me it ain’t so!) you can always sell one later!
Oh, I’m also soft for the “Amana” White finish!

Br1ck
Sep-07-2018, 7:24pm
And the A-3 headstock inlay.

brunello97
Sep-07-2018, 9:32pm
Allez, mon Capitaine! Allez!

Mick

RustyPickup
Sep-08-2018, 2:11am
Just encountered an excellent condition 1920 Gibson A-3 (all original except for bridge) Also has original hard case. Sat down and played a while...beautiful! One of the best pre-Loar A's I have ever picked up. $2200 + sales tax. I am tempted, but my wife would have a fit. Hmmmm is it worth it? It beat a Gibson F5G and an oval hole Pava which were both about $3200.

Absolutely go or it! There really IS something different about their sound. I love mine, in spite of its crack on the top. The only trouble is, the color IS a giveaway to a spouse (e.g., in my case, "Say, did you paint that thing, or something???" Had to 'fess up: "Honey, yeah, it IS another one ..., and you are SO astute and kind to notice, thanks ... but it is actually an investment ... I am really doing this for US ... " blah blah blah. Good luck!)

Timbofood
Sep-08-2018, 1:12pm
Just go get it and put us all out of our misery!

Rich Benson
Sep-08-2018, 1:27pm
I've been looking at that white-face for 2 months now, even got Ben to shoot a short video demo for me. You've convinced me, just pulled the trigger on it!

Am I remembering correctly that I need to use light gauge strings on a '21 Gibson A?

Br1ck
Sep-08-2018, 7:59pm
You know, none other than Frank Ford just, when I asked the same question, answered "why"? I was inquiring about my 1913 A-1.

Capt. E
Sep-08-2018, 10:54pm
I'm going to a jam tomorrow and get some playing time in with my A-2, then go by Fiddlers on Monday and bring my A-2...we'll see what happens.

pheffernan
Sep-09-2018, 9:00am
I'm going to a jam tomorrow and get some playing time in with my A-2, then go by Fiddlers on Monday and bring my A-2...we'll see what happens.

It sounds like we'll see an empty hanger where that A3 used to reside. :(

I've been looking at that white-face for 2 months now, even got Ben to shoot a short video demo for me. You've convinced me, just pulled the trigger on it!

fatt-dad
Sep-09-2018, 3:16pm
I love my A3. Second owner. Had it for about 33 years. I'll keep on keeping it too!

with its baby brother (1930 L-1)

f-d

Jim Garber
Sep-10-2018, 4:56pm
About 40 years ago I started playing in an old time band in Brooklyn (when it was uncool!) and I had a nice simple Vega cylinderback that did not cut it for a 5-piece string band. So I headed out to Staten Island to Mandolin Brothers and tried every A-model in the shop. I came home with a 1919 white faced A-3 which was hands-down the best sounding A-model on the wall. I drained my bank account of $300 with that purchase and played that one for many years.

Here is a photo backstage at our local coffeehouse gig with my dad who also dated back to 1919. Sadly, both he and the mandolin left me years ago.

pops1
Sep-10-2018, 5:00pm

Am I remembering correctly that I need to use light gauge strings on a '21 Gibson A?

Not really I use normal strings on my '22, and have for years. I have lightened slightly with 11 15 25 39.

brunello97
Sep-10-2018, 5:57pm
So who wound up with the Whiteface? RDodger or Le Capitaine?

Mick

Rich Benson
Sep-10-2018, 9:31pm

Well, I have a ups tracking number, so I guess it’s me.

brunello97
Sep-11-2018, 6:07am

Well, I have a ups tracking number, so I guess it’s me.

Fair play to you. Please post some photos when it arrives.

Mick

Capt. E
Sep-11-2018, 1:06pm
Yeah, wasn't me. It was gone by the time I went by Monday. No problem...it has a nice new home. I was looking at the new Pava oval while I was there yesterday. Just as nice (only 1K more expensive). Whatever, I'm sticking with my beautiful A-2.

Capt. E
Sep-11-2018, 1:07pm
Have a good time Roger

Capt. E
Sep-15-2018, 10:33am
Ahhhh. The buyer returned the A-3. Probably back at Fiddlers today. Not sure why...temptation renewed!

Br1ck
Sep-15-2018, 12:17pm
Maybe they played it next to their beloved A-2, and came out wanting.

Only one way to know:)

Jim Garber
Sep-15-2018, 1:40pm
Maybe they played it next to their beloved A-2, and came out wanting.

Only one way to know:)

No, I think Capt. E is the one with the beloved A-2, not RDodger who ordered and (I guess) returned it. The plot sickens. :)

Capt. E
Sep-16-2018, 10:24am
Why return it? That is the question. Can't get an answer to that. Need to ask Ben at Fiddlers if he knows. Probably won't get by till at least Monday. Who knows, it may be gone once more and help my cc balance.

Jim Garber
Sep-16-2018, 11:05am
Why return it? That is the question. Can't get an answer to that. Need to ask Ben at Fiddlers if he knows. Probably won't get by till at least Monday. Who knows, it may be gone once more and help my cc balance.

It sounds like you want it, or at least want to check it out. Why not speak to Ben and put in a request to hold it after it arrives until you get there. Be proactive! I doubt it will fly out the door otherwise.

As to the reason, obviously some variation of buyer's remorse. Doesn't really matter, does it? Everyone is different.

Many years ago a friend mentioned to me that he wanted a nice small fingerpicking guitar. I visited a local shop and there was a 1939 L-00. I played it for about half an hour and thought it was great. I called him and told him I thought it would be perfect for what he wanted. He drove up from NJ and bought it. Then he drive himself crazy with doubt and ended up returning it the next day.

Of course I thought he was insane. It was a great guitar and I ended up buying it and it has been my absolute favorite guitar for years and the one I most play at gigs. My friend bought a brand new Collings L-00 copy. I have a feeling that he was not really a vintage guitar guy which may have been why he doubted owning that guitar. Hey, everyone has his or her own feelings. I don't blame him but I do like the way things turned out.

Br1ck
Sep-16-2018, 3:00pm
Of all the guitar players I know, very few want vintage guitars. I imagine mandolin players would be the same, but perhaps the music played on them would skew a bigger percentage to vintage. Personally, I don't think a guitar sounds it's best until it's forty years old. I think it's someone's basic nature to want a new boutique guitar just like they start looking for a new car after two or three years.

I had a friend recently buy a $6000 boutique guitar. I sent him a picture of a '48 J 45 that had a lot of finish worn off and said here's what I'd buy with $6000. He thought I was nuts. I think he's nuts. He has a two year old BMW. With that money, I'd find a 56 Ford truck. Different strokes. But I know no one who wants a new BMW and a beat up old J 45.

I'm in love with my 1913 A-1, and probably take an old Gibson F5 over something newer. No right or wrong, just different.

Jeff Mando
Sep-16-2018, 4:02pm
Good points about vintage guitars! If it were not for old Gibsons and Martins, there would be no Taylors or Collings, IMHO.

Capt. E
Sep-24-2018, 11:53am
Just to let people know, I just can't justify spending 2K+ right now, so it is still there at Fiddlers. My A-2 does me just fine, especially with the new flat wound strings I put on last week. The A-3 at Fiddlers is really a nice instrument and should please just about anyone who likes the old vintage Gibson oval holes.

Jim Garber
Sep-24-2018, 12:56pm
Well, I had to take a look. I am assuming that this 1921 ivory top A-3 (http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/instrument/1921-gibson-a-3-ivory-top) is the one we are all referring to? That confirms my opinion that 1921—just slightly pre-Loar era—Gibson oval hole mandolins are the real sleepers, that Gibson refined their building and tone making capabilities in their shop/factory. I have played quite a few 1921 Gibsons and have yet found one that disappointed me. I hope someone here does buy it.

LadysSolo
Sep-24-2018, 5:41pm
Wow Jim, thanks for the link, that is one nice-looking mandolin! If I was looking for another one, I would be really tempted!

Br1ck
Sep-24-2018, 8:12pm
Would someone just buy it please?

Capt. E
Sep-25-2018, 10:47am
The temptation is almost overpowering...but not quite. Oh well, maybe give it time and hopefully someone will relieve me by buying it. It is a good price.

Dave Richard
Sep-25-2018, 7:46pm
Well, this my reply is not about an A-3, but an A: Jim Garber's comment about 1921s prompted me to reply.
For years I've wanted an old Gibson oval hole mando, I love their sound. Couldn't find one at the right price in good condition.
Last summer, I was in the local guitar shop, for whom I do repair work. They had an old mando case, a lady had dropped it off for appraisal, she was going to sell it(it had been her dad's). A 1921 A model, in it's case, crumbling pickguard and associated cracks, needed some work. Appraised, as was , for $500. Guess who was able to buy it. 171393171394After some repairs, a new bridge, and new strings, it sounds great. I lucked out with this 1921 model.

Br1ck
Sep-26-2018, 12:48pm
Why is it that when you buy an A-1, you immediately start thinking how cool it would be to have an A, A-2, A-3, and A-4? Maybe a Jr too. But that's just silly, and you'd need a mandola too,and an F 2, and an F4.

fatt-dad
Sep-26-2018, 2:52pm
Why is it that when you buy an A-1, you immediately start thinking how cool it would be to have an A, A-2, A-3, and A-4? Maybe a Jr too. But that's just silly, and you'd need a mandola too,and an F 2, and an F4.

. . . and after the cycle of such a journey, you may just decide to stay with the one you started with? That's my case, having started with the A3 and subsequently owning a black snake and an a2z. They both had, "It," but. . . I just normalized my oval-hole ear to my A3 and it stayed - they didn't.

There are ways to control the wandering eye. You just have to get tired of it first!

f-d

Timbofood
Sep-27-2018, 9:05am
The always wanting to collect the full set is very natural, I have always wanted to have an example of almost everything I’ve started to collect! Coleman items are terrible, they made so many slightly different models of everything! Every globe color of “Adlake” railroad lanterns! I still need a green one of those and have been searching that for a long time, for the “right price” they are not that easy to find.
Do not get me started on Weber grills!
Finding all the right ones, for any collector is kind of the goal, and pursuit is as much fun as the realization!

brunello97
Sep-27-2018, 9:16am
The temptation is almost overpowering...but not quite. Oh well, maybe give it time and hopefully someone will relieve me by buying it. It is a good price.

Any idea why it was returned to FG? You're right it is a good price.

Mick

Br1ck
Sep-27-2018, 2:18pm
It's a quirk of the A-3, but if it isn't worn through to bare wood by the forearm, it's not an instrument that interests me. I have no such view of black top, pumpkin, or brown. Quite the opposite, but a worn through A-3 in otherwise good condition floats my boat big time.

But my A -1 is proving to be a very good purchase, and I don't have a mandola, flat top, octave, or Loar yet.

Capt. E
Sep-29-2018, 9:41am
Any idea why it was returned to FG? You're right it is a good price.

Mick
Never found out why it was returned...I don't think it had anything to do with playability etc.

My A-2 was sold in Jan 1920. I think the 20-22 A's are pretty special. You can include the first of the paddleheads with a truss-rod. Maybe it was the craftsmen who made them, maybe the lot of wood, whatever. They are just different than earlier. It, of course, continued into the snakehead instruments. Right now, I am pretty satisfied with my A-2. I do believe the A-3 at Fiddlers would please most people. It does have some top wear where the arm rests on the bottom edge, but not very much at all.