PDA

View Full Version : Good mandola music?

Jesse Kinman
Aug-31-2018, 5:36am
Howdy y’all, I am in search of some songs to listen to that have a good mandola part in them. I currently know of “My Angeline” and “John and Mary” by Russell Moore and Third Tyne Out, and also “Ride and Sway” by the Greencards. I am looking for some more suggestions for good songs to listen to mainly in the bluegrass-ish genre, but open to other genres if it’s a good sounding song.
Thank you very much in advance, Jesse :mandosmiley:

John Goodin
Aug-31-2018, 10:20am
There are a couple of beautiful duets featuring John Reischmann on mandola with Bruce Molsky on fiddle on John's instrumental Walk Along John CD. I think John plays mandola on a couple of other tracks on this great CD too but the sound that Reischmann and Molsky get together is just wonderful. (Of course we're talking CGDA, American style instrument here not the GDAE, octave mandolin that is more common around the world.)

One of my all-time favorite mandolin/mandola duets appears on the Norman Blake/Peter Ostroushko Meeting On Southern Soil CD. Peter plays an old Gibson H2 mandola on the near perfect "Muddy Creek." I can listen to that one over and over. (In fact I'm listening to it right now.) There's a second mandola/mandolin duet that's called "Mandolin Medley" that's almost as good. Peter also plays mandola on a couple of the songs he sings on that CD. Great stuff.

John G.

OneChordTrick
Aug-31-2018, 10:43am
John do you mean CGDA rather than CDGA? :)

John Goodin
Aug-31-2018, 11:38am
John do you mean CGDA rather than CDGA? :)

Duh. Yes, I'll see if I can edit my first post. Thanks (while, I wipe some of the egg off of my face!)

Jesse Kinman
Aug-31-2018, 12:45pm
There are a couple of beautiful duets featuring John Reischmann on mandola with Bruce Molsky on fiddle on John's instrumental Walk Along John CD. I think John plays mandola on a couple of other tracks on this great CD too but the sound that Reischmann and Molsky get together is just wonderful. (Of course we're talking CGDA, American style instrument here not the GDAE, octave mandolin that is more common around the world.)

One of my all-time favorite mandolin/mandola duets appears on the Norman Blake/Peter Ostroushko Meeting On Southern Soil CD. Peter plays an old Gibson H2 mandola on the near perfect "Muddy Creek." I can listen to that one over and over. (In fact I'm listening to it right now.) There's a second mandola/mandolin duet that's called "Mandolin Medley" that's almost as good. Peter also plays mandola on a couple of the songs he sings on that CD. Great stuff.

John G.

Ok cool, thanks a lot! I’ll look those up now!

sgarrity
Sep-05-2018, 3:21pm
Mike Compton......Get Stomp, Rotten Taters, and Live with Joe Newberry. Great mandola playing on all three. Come to think of it, some of Stomp is actually a short scale Gilchrist octave.

tmsweeney
Sep-05-2018, 4:17pm
Peter Rowan does a great "Cold Rain and Snow" on Mandola - its out there on youtube

Norman Blake's "Marquee of Huntley " is mandola - viola cello

Daniel Nestlerode
Sep-06-2018, 5:34am
https://youtu.be/BOUqEqxtUJE

DG swaps instruments a lot, including a lovely mandola. First song is on the mandola.

Daniel

sgarrity
Sep-06-2018, 7:54am
Check out this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?121075-Bluegrass-Mandola&highlight=Mandola+music

Jesse Kinman
Sep-07-2018, 3:58am
Awesome, thank you all very much! I will check these out!

foldedpath
Sep-09-2018, 9:05pm
Peter Rowan does a great "Cold Rain and Snow" on Mandola - its out there on youtube

Norman Blake's "Marquee of Huntley " is mandola - viola cello

Yeah, that "Cold Rain and Snow" is a killer performance even for a non-Bluegrasser like me. Here's the link:

Marty Jacobson
Sep-09-2018, 10:51pm
Yeah, that "Cold Rain and Snow" is a killer performance even for a non-Bluegrasser like me. Here's the link:

Same one that comes to mind as the top "mandola" Americana piece (even though the song is English).

Tim O'Brien has some awesome mandola fiddle tunes...

Jon Hall
Sep-12-2018, 7:29am
Paul Buskirk's Nacogdoches Waltz cd are available used. Paul plays mandola on every track. Willie Nelson plays guitar on the album.

bbcee
Sep-13-2018, 4:51am
@Jon, thanks for the tip on Paul Buskirk. I found a copy on my local Ebay & pulled the trigger. I don't know anything about him, but I'm anticipating getting a lot out of it.

He has another record called "Banjo, But Beautiful". Wish I would have thought of that! :))

Edit: Now reading up on him, I am really excited to receive the CD!

Jon Hall
Sep-13-2018, 7:38am
I think you'll enjoy his playing. I knew Paul. He retired in Nacogdoches TX. He passed on in 2002.

bbcee
Sep-13-2018, 9:19am
There's a picture of him on the emando.com site with his custom mandola - the thing looks like a bass! I see the scale length was over 20", so soundwise, it must fall somewhere between a "regular" mandola & an OM. Can't wait to hear it.

Didn't mean to steal the thread, @jesse kinman!

Jesse Kinman
Oct-02-2018, 6:34pm
Thanks y’all!